You Want To Keep The Stars in College? | Syracusefan.com

You Want To Keep The Stars in College?

mantonio

Starter
It's time for the NCAA to change its rules on student athletes & pro sports.

There is an easy way to keep more of the star players at school. Allow the players to get an agent & be drafted by the pro team.

The team can own the rights to that player & pay them a certain percentage of their negotiated salary while they remain in school, & the player can't practice or play with their pro team as long as they are still in college.

The line between amateur & pro athletes has been blurred for quite some time, & it's about time the NCAA changed to reflect this shift...

I would think the NBA would have to lead any change.

Yes, the romantic era of college basketball. When players like Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullen, Ralph Sampson, and others stayed for 4 years.

I smell a Bud Poliquin column coming soon

Something like that could lead to a lot of complications. say an NBA team signs a high school prospect..do they then influence what college the kid attends?

What if the college coach sees that one of those signed prospects isn't up to snuff and decides to let him sit? Does the NBA team just remain $ilent? Does the NBA team start to interfere about who a college coach sits or plays?

Does the NBA team decide that since they aren't happy with the way a certain coach uses their contracted players they steer recruits to other favored coaches?

Opens a potential can of worms. The NBA could become kingmakers or breakers in the college game.

But...I agree the way things are set up today something should be done.

There's something seriously and obviously phony about this "student athlete" facade.

Something like that could lead to a lot of complications. say an NBA team signs a high school prospect..do they then influence what college the kid attends?

What if the college coach sees that one of those signed prospects isn't up to snuff and decides to let him sit? Does the NBA team just remain $ilent? Does the NBA team start to interfere about who a college coach sits or plays?

Does the NBA team decide that since they aren't happy with the way a certain coach uses their contracted players they steer recruits to other favored coaches?

Opens a potential can of worms. The NBA could become kingmakers or breakers in the college game.

But...I agree the way things are set up today something should be done.

There's something seriously and obviously phony about this "student athlete" facade.

all very good points.

It sucks that college players only stay one year many times. The NBA can make any rule they want with regards to how long players need to be out of high school prior to being drafted. After all, it is a "club" essentially and they can do whatever they want in their private club.

From the perspective of a free market capitalist though, it really goes against the grain of most things in our society. If they are good enough and teams want their services, its sort of BS to not allow them to be drafted just so college coaches and fans will be satisfied.

I understand all the misgivings, but we have to come up with new ideas, or it will continue to be like this. I think it is better to give more incentives than punishments, because, after all, this is America.

I think the NBA would prefer a system that closely resembles the farm clubs, & that is what College basketball has become at the major level.

A good partnership between the NCAA & NBA would be better for the fans of college & pro sports.

It's not perfect, but I think the best solution would be the baseball rule. A kid can go pro straight out of highschool or choose to go to college. If he chooses college he has to stay for three years. However, as someone else already pointed out, any change would have to be driven by the NBA.

Basketball needs to go to Baseball rules, either get drafted out of HS or college for 3 years.

Agree; if you're going to make a significant change go the baseball route.

I understand all the misgivings, but we have to come up with new ideas, or it will continue to be like this. I think it is better to give more incentives than punishments, because, after all, this is America.

I think the NBA would prefer a system that closely resembles the farm clubs, & that is what College basketball has become at the major level.

A good partnership between the NCAA & NBA would be better for the fans of college & pro sports.

College basketball is the NBA's de facto farm system and as far as the NBA is concerned, the price is right. For the most part, the NBADL serves as more of a holding pen for fringe talent and no one in the league is clamoring for a full-fledged MLB-like system of farm clubs because of the economics involved.

I think that we're seeing a shift, albeit a slow one, in how NBA clubs use the D-league. I know that the Nets and a few other clubs manage their D-League affiliates and have been using them more like AAA farm teams than in years past, allowing them to develop raw prospects and draft picks who aren't seeing much run in the Association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

College basketball is the NBA's de facto farm system and as far as the NBA is concerned, the price is right. For the most part, the NBADL serves as more of a holding pen for fringe talent and no one in the league is clamoring for a full-fledged MLB-like system of farm clubs because of the economics involved.

Which is why the College/farm system would be more attractive to the NBA than the money pit of a full fledged farm setup. The NBA gets to pick & choose who they will draft in college, & the rest of the college players are not a drain on their budgets.

Which is why the College/farm system would be more attractive to the NBA than the money pit of a full fledged farm setup. The NBA gets to pick & choose who they will draft in college, & the rest of the college players are not a drain on their budgets.

It sounds like all distinction between college (amateur) basketball and professional basketball would disappear under your system. Would NBA teams "direct" their draftees to certain colleges and coaches where they feel they can be optimally developed into professional players?

It sounds like all distinction between college (amateur) basketball and professional basketball would disappear under your system. Would NBA teams "direct" their draftees to certain colleges and coaches where they feel they can be optimally developed into professional players?

Yes, that's my point. The distinction has been blurred to the point where it barely exists, especially for the top players in college. So, why should we try to save something that is already dead?

We no longer restrict Olympic players to the amateur ranks, so why should college be different? Any other collegian can work in the professional world while taking college courses. Think about that...

Yes, that's my point. The distinction has been blurred to the point where it barely exists, especially for the top players in college. So, why should we try to save something that is already dead?

We no longer restrict Olympic players to the amateur ranks, so why should college be different? Any other collegian can work in the professional world while taking college courses. Think about that...
But wouldn't you eventually wind up with most of the "professional" college players being funneled to a small number of college programs? And wouldn't that require select colleges to "sell out" their amateur ideals to essentially do the bidding of professional teams? Would you have the NBA making hiring decisions within college basketball programs? Would you have the NBA funding certain programs, but not others? I just don't see how this would work.

But wouldn't you eventually wind up with most of the "professional" college players being funneled to a small number of college programs? And wouldn't that require select colleges to "sell out" their amateur ideals to essentially do the bidding of professional teams? Would you have the NBA making hiring decisions within college basketball programs? Would you have the NBA funding certain programs, but not others? I just don't see how this would work.

It's either that or deprive the college basketball fan of these great players in whole or in large part. We already have just a handful of schools that are getting the best players, so why not give these players an incentive to stay a few more years?

The top 20 programs are getting these stars, & virtually no other schools are getting them. Maybe these other schools should do a better job of selling their programs to the NBA & college recruits. Spend some money to get top notch facilities.

Even now, the lower tier schools have to work harder to sell the recruits, so why not let the NBA take some of the financial burden off the programs? This would eliminate the problem of paying athletes.

It's time for the NCAA to change its rules on student athletes & pro sports.

There is an easy way to keep more of the star players at school. Allow the players to get an agent & be drafted by the pro team.

The team can own the rights to that player & pay them a certain percentage of their negotiated salary while they remain in school, & the player can't practice or play with their pro team as long as they are still in college.

The line between amateur & pro athletes has been blurred for quite some time, & it's about time the NCAA changed to reflect this shift...

Ick. No paying collegians. Too many ways to pervert any 'system' they might employ. Keep it as it is — fans will have feelings about programs' legitimacy and that's that.
I'd like the NBA to earnestly work with the NCAA for the betterment of both.
Set limits for the number of underclassmen that are eligible for the draft. X number of 1-year collegians, Y of 2-year players. Unlimited after 3 years of college. Move the draft back a few weeks, to allow camps to occur after the end of the semester. Players have to be in good academic standing all the way through the year in order to be eligible for the draft. If a kid isn't eligible or isn't drafted, he can return to school.

"We would love to add a year, but that's not something that the players' association has been willing to agree to," Stern said Tuesday.
I don't understand the players' association. I was a union member many years ago, United Steelworkers of America. Our union, as well as most others, were particularly concerned with our most senior members. In the case of the NBA, this would be the 10+ year veteran, usually past his peak, but still drawing a very good salary. Anthony Davis is going to take one of these guys' job. Why would the players' association oppose requiring Davis to wait another year or two? A current PA member could then continue to draw a salary rather than be cut. I don't get it.

Ick. No paying collegians. Too many ways to pervert any 'system' they might employ. Keep it as it is — fans will have feelings about programs' legitimacy and that's that.
I'd like the NBA to earnestly work with the NCAA for the betterment of both.
Set limits for the number of underclassmen that are eligible for the draft. X number of 1-year collegians, Y of 2-year players. Unlimited after 3 years of college. Move the draft back a few weeks, to allow camps to occur after the end of the semester. Players have to be in good academic standing all the way through the year in order to be eligible for the draft. If a kid isn't eligible or isn't drafted, he can return to school.

Then, of course, you would have to set an age limit for those who forego college to enter the draft, to encourage kids to go to school & play ball.If you tell a person they have to meet all these requirements as a student to be drafted, most of them will simply go right into the NBA after high school.

"We would love to add a year, but that's not something that the players' association has been willing to agree to," Stern said Tuesday.
I don't understand the players' association. I was a union member many years ago, United Steelworkers of America. Our union, as well as most others, were particularly concerned with our most senior members. In the case of the NBA, this would be the 10+ year veteran, usually past his peak, but still drawing a very good salary. Anthony Davis is going to take one of these guys' job. Why would the players' association oppose requiring Davis to wait another year or two? A current PA member could then continue to draw a salary rather than be cut. I don't get it.
Maybe the union can't get the NBA to concede this issue. A young talent on the way up is more valuable to an owner than most aging players, with the exception of the very best stars like Kobe & MJ.

I don't believe or trust David Stern when he says this. It wouldn't make sense for Players Union to reject this offer.

Thing is , those "college farm clubs" are only supplying 50% of the players. Europe, South American and High Schools supply the other 50%. I am just saying I am sure the NBA feels it is worth the toil or treasure to guide reform in a system that is working for them.

If the NBA is gonna be steering kids to schools, how many NBA teams are gonna tell a kid to go get full-time experience playing zone?