Young defensive talent | Syracusefan.com

Young defensive talent

Rocco

Watching you.
Been a rough year so far. We all know that. Time for some silver linings.

Marlowe Wax, Ja' Had Carter, Stefon Thompson, Geoff Cantin-Arku and Garrett Williams have all shown glimpses of their potential. Carter, Thompson and GCA in particular. Playmakers.

Aman Greenwood, Neil Nunn, Ben Labrosse and Chase Atkinson are also ones to keep an eye on.

That is an impressive stockpile to have in the back 8.

Add in Babers' best class to date this year and there are things to be excited about on the defensive side of the ball. The offense needs to get worked out, but with the impressive class of OL, QB, RB and WR coming in hopefully next year, it makes one grin again.

2020 is a lousy year. The good news is that Babers & Co get to play these kids as much as possible to see what they got.

Marlowe Wax, Ja' Had Carter, Stefon Thompson, Geoff Cantin-Arku and Garrett Williams have all shown glimpses of their potential. Carter, Thompson and GCA in particular. Playmakers.

Aman Greenwood, Neil Nunn, Ben Labrosse and Chase Atkinson are also ones to keep an eye on.

Add in Babers' best class to date this year and there are things to be excited about on the defensive side of the ball. The offense needs to get worked out, but with the impressive class of OL, QB, RB and WR coming in hopefully next year, it makes one grin again.

2020 is a lousy year. The good news is that Babers & Co get to play these kids as much as possible to see what they got.

It's a great year to see what you have. I'm honestly thinking the staff is thinking of it this way. The downside of our offensive implosion is that it's really hard to see what you have on that side of the ball when your QB is on his back so much.

How good can Queely be? No idea. We know Jordan is better than he looks. I thought our 3rd string RB looked good despite our OL struggles.

Nice post and yes, the D has played with nuts, smarts, preparedness, and skill. It's been really impressive and unfortunately shadowed by the historically bad offensive play.

Love the scheme, the lb size and athleticism and of course our talented dbs. The ends haven't gotten much pressure but seems as though this will play more like a 5-3 where walk up lbs pressure the qb. Like it. If Cisco or trill stay, it will be a win, 1 of 2.

Back seven is in good shape. Question in the secondary is who are the future next level guys there.

DL, it would be a big deal if some of them return of the extra year. Given the uncertainty in the world and basic job market concerns staying in school for free probably beats heading out into the real world.

In addition to the above, our DC is working 4 spares into the DL (Roscoe, Okechuckwu, Tuazama, and Harper). It is better depth than I had expected.

That said, our defense yielded 21 points, 21 first downs, 160 yards rushing (before subtracting losses to sacks etc). These are very good numbers for us, but leave room for improvement. We will need to get take-aways to get stops, and so far we have. The offense will have to do much better (obviously) or the defense will get worn down.

There is young talent all over the field on D... great post. I’ve actually had fun watching the defense this year as frustrating as it’s been.

I was golfing with Conley on Monday at a work outing and our talk about the talent on D was refreshing.

Sky is the limit for those guys.

Credit where it’s due with Tony White too - excellent hire thus far.

My biggest concern at this point is being able to hold onto this recruiting class. Especially the offensive recruits. I hope these kids are sold on the school or early playing time
I hope they are sold on the school and EARN early playing time.

I hope they are sold on the school and EARN early playing time.

Well yeah... I hope playing time is being earned. My point was there isn't much for a recruit to be excited about watching the team right now. Especially on offense. So I hope the possibility of early playing time is a motivating factor for them.

Well yeah... I hope playing time is being earned. My point was there isn't much for a recruit to be excited about watching the team right now. Especially on offense. So I hope the possibility of early playing time is a motivating factor for them.
I get that. My point is that I want them to be sold on the school and the program and not be turned away by game to game permutations. When early playing time is the prime motivator, there is a higher tendency towards frustration and transfer if they don't see the field early. If things are going well for the program, only a couple of freshman should see playing time.

I get that. My point is that I want them to be sold on the school and the program and not be turned away by game to game permutations. When early playing time is the prime motivator, there is a higher tendency towards frustration and transfer if they don't see the field early. If things are going well for the program, only a couple of freshman should see playing time.

Ah, I get what you're saying now. I agree

Dino can tell ALL of the croots - we NEED YOU.

You will have a legit chance to compete for PT immediately.
And then show examples.

I hope we run more WR’s out there on Sat.
Give some of the young, TALL guys (and more Courtney!) some PT.

Hopefully Stephon Thompson can garner some all acc freshman accolades. It’ll then begin a very very solid case that Dino puts freshman on the map with Cisco as well.

Hopefully Stephon Thompson can garner some all acc freshman accolades. It’ll then begin a very very solid case that Dino puts freshman on the map with Cisco as well.

Wasn't Mikel Jones a Freshman All-American last year?

You’re correct, third team FR AA honors. Lets continue to add to that and that’s when we’ll start landing the four stars from NJ, VA, NC, GA and Florida consistently.

Yes - 3rd Team.

My biggest concern at this point is being able to hold onto this recruiting class. Especially the offensive recruits. I hope these kids are sold on the school or early playing time

jesus

it’s two games. I hope these recruits have more patience and vision than people here

Nice post and yes, the D has played with nuts, smarts, preparedness, and skill. It's been really impressive and unfortunately shadowed by the historically bad offensive play.

Love the scheme, the lb size and athleticism and of course our talented dbs. The ends haven't gotten much pressure but seems as though this will play more like a 5-3 where walk up lbs pressure the qb. Like it. If Cisco or trill stay, it will be a win, 1 of 2.

Tony White has been a good hire. The personnel we already have fits well into his 3-3-5. Given the youth, if Trill and Cisco come back, that will be huge for next year. Cisco seems unlikely at this point.

Biggest issue is the dead legs of the defense with all of these 3 and outs on offense. The defense plays fast and hard in the 1st half, but it becomes deflating when you take care of your job only to have the offense fall flat on their face. Dino and Gilbert need to get creative as hell this weekend.

it’s two games. I hope these recruits have more patience and vision than people here

Its not just two games though. We have two wins against P5 teams in the last 14 games right now. I hope they can see some kind of vision because we need this current class on campus. I'm holding out hope until the games are played out this season but this is the worst offense I've ever seen as a Syracuse fan. I wish that was hyperbole.