Your All Time SU Hoops Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Your All Time SU Hoops Lineup

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Ok, I'm sure we've done this before, but I'm bored and there isn't much going on so why not do it again. Pick your all time starting 5 that would fit together in a lineup that you could put on the floor at the same time (ie. probably shouldn't be 5 guards, but it doesn't have to be 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center...you might get away with 3 guards and 2 bigs). Players can be from multiple eras, they don't have to have played together.

I'll start with mine.

G - Dwayne Washington
G- Dave Bing
F - Louis Orr
F - Derrick Coleman
C - Rony Seikaly

This is harder than it looks, ugh, ugh what about......The General, Owens, Melo, JDub, Hak, Schayes or Rosie among others......we've had some fun guys and teams to watch.

th
th
th
b903edbe5823b84b2896b6ba9b58bed8.jpg

Last edited:
Sherman Douglas
Andy Rautins(not by any means our best 2 guard - but possibly our best all around 2 guard with the qualification that he was a great 3 point shooter - which a team with Sherm at point would need)
Carmelo Anthony
Billy Owens
Derrick Coleman

This team would not have many empty possessions. All 5 guys can pass, score, and handle the ball, you’ve got size, shooting, one of the best ISO players in b-ball history, rebounding, and b-ball IQ. All time NCAA assist leader and rebound leader at the time they graduated, in the lineup. Three top 3 picks. 4 guys who played 10+ years in the NBA, mostly as starters.

Sherman Douglas
Andy Rautins(not by any means our best 2 guard - but possibly our best all around 2 guard with the qualification that he was a great 3 point shooter - which a team with Sherm at point would need)
Carmelo Anthony
Billy Owens
Derrick Coleman

This team would not have many empty possessions. All 5 guys can pass, score, and handle the ball, you’ve got size, shooting, one of the best ISO players in b-ball history, rebounding, and b-ball IQ. All time NCAA assist leader and rebound leader at the time they graduated, in the lineup. Three top 3 picks. 4 guys who played 10+ years in the NBA, mostly as starters.
Andy Rautins over Dave Bing?
Pearl
Bing
Melo
Coleman
Rony

I left Melo off because he only played one year……….but there is something to be said for the fact that what he accomplished in that one year wasn’t accomplished by any of my other guys in their multiple years.

Sherman Douglas
Andy Rautins
Carmelo Anthony
Billy Owens
Derrick Coleman

This team would not have many empty possessions. All 5 guys can pass, score…

sm9vw.jpg

Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Grant
Rak

Obviously kidding but good god that team was awesome to watch

PG - Douglas
SG - Bing
SF - Melo
PF - Owens
C - DC

Putting MCW in over Douglas would make for an interesting line-up with his size.

With how well everyone can handle the ball, it could also be fun to go sans traditional PG and move Owens to one of the guard positions with Wallace at PF.

Love this thread, whether it's been done fifty times in the past or not. I'm more old school I guess so I would go with the following. As good as Bing obviously was, I didn't see him play so he is not on my list.

Douglas
Rautins (Andy)
Melo
Moten
Coleman

PG - Ennis
SG - Moten
SF - Melo
PF - Warrick
C - Coleman

B - MCW
B - JW
B - Owens
B - Buddy
B - Rony

PG Pearl or Sherman (the only real question)

SG Bing

PF Coleman

SF Owens

C Seikaly

6th man Leo Rautins (imagine having a guy that skilled coming off the bench who could play at least 4 positions...some better fits than others).

I love them all. But in any era of basketball I take Leo over his kid every time.

Sticking to the Boeheim era because if we want to include Dave Bing just because we all know him that brings guys like Hackett, Duval, Lee, Kohls, Kiley, Smith, Cincebox and others into the discussion and too few of us have seen any of them.

Pearl
Addison
Owens
Anthony
Coleman

Lots of other guys available. Maybe even a better one at each position (Douglas, Moten, Orr, Wallace, Seikaly). But I'd take these 5 and say come beat me.

Sherman
Nichols
Owens
Wallace
Coleman

Cheating a bit by shifting DC to the 5, but he played there as a junior.

Not saying that these are the BEST at their respective positions, BUT here's my logic:
  • Sherman precludes the need for a traditional 2. Owens and Coleman provide complimentary ball handling
  • Nichols isn't a 2, but in this lineup he doesn't need to be. He'd be a plus defender at his size, whether man or zone.
  • Post up game would be unbelievable with Jdub and DC
  • Can't believe I didn't add Anthony.
  • This team would run a lot of teams off of the floor. Can you imagine how well they'd rebound, and how they'd push the ball with 2 guys in Owens / Coleman that could legitimately initiate the fast break?
  • They'd be fun as hell to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom