Your Song of the Day | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Your Song of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many better than this one. Love how it feels like, even tho you’re listening, you’re watching a guitar be played... the drag of the fingers on the strings... just sucks you in.

And the lyrics - clearly a description of the times. Beautiful piece.

One of the few good things from this COVID-19 shutting in is there's lots of time to practice. This is one of several songs I've learned to play, yep even the intro. It's not that difficult: built on G major pentatonic, a few bends, slides, double stops. Good way to learn some legato. Grab your guitar and get on it if you haven't already. :)

My Wilco concert on Wednesday was cancelled, but I found this acoustic gem. Reminds me of the old MTV unplugged series.

For whatever reason, Wilco hadn't grabbed my attention. But after watching this I'm giving 'em another shot. On first blush, they have a certain Band/TomPetty/Jayhawks feel to them. I like acoustic roots/blues - well, I like a lot of stuff, but especially that genre. Real music played on real guitars with a lyric that says something somewhere in it. Doesn't have to be Dylan or Simon, just a little something to think about. :)

If you can't rip off Bach, who can ya? :) The melody and chord progressions in this song are largely from Bach's Passion of St Matthew. Bach himself took it from a traditional German folk song. So when Paul Simon played/recorded this on Live Rhymin' in Concert, just him and his guitar, it was like it was being returned to its roots. It helped me get through a few times in the mid 70's when a lot of us were looking for a direction. Today in my September years, it still has much resonance. Simon is one of my idols. Imagine being able to write and play as well as he has for so long. And he even got to sleep with Princess Leia!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors