Your worst regular season loss | Syracusefan.com

Your worst regular season loss

Charles Smith of Georgetown going coast-to-coast unchecked for the game winner in 88, right after Sherman hit the go-ahead and Seikaly hands them the ball to in-bound after it goes through the hoop (clock didn't stop after a basket in those days). Reggie Williams was finally gone, and after that it felt like we'd never beat them after losing 3x the year before.

Cleveland St

That was brutal. As I remember, we had a pretty good comeback to take the lead in the last couple minutes and then the 60 foot shot took it all away.

The worst moments as a fan thread got be to thinking. For me it was the 2008 Pitt game at the dome. 11 point lead at the under 4 minute timeout and we choke the game and a ncaa tournament bid away.

Ugh, the Paul Harris game. He wasn't the only one but he was sure the star of that mess.

BC 2014 and @ Notre Dame 2012.
@ Louisville 2007, lost a late lead and I kicked a piece of furniture across my Murray Hill studio apartment and left it there for months.

The Pitt collapse in 08 along with the Cleveland State game for sure. Also the Witchita State game in 07 where we had a major comeback and then Demetris missed a breakaway dunk/layup. Also losing to G’town in 02 on the day they named Jim Boeheim Court.
On a side note, the Rutgers Laminzana banked 3 sucked at the time, but ended up being the turning point in our season.

That 1904 Williston Seminary game has always left a bad taste in my mouth. 12 points? For God's sake, get "Twombley" the rock, get out of the way, and let him do his thing.

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 8.42.52 AM.png

@BC in 2005 because I couldn't get a ticket and get in (might be the only event I've ever been shut out of) I remembered the game being 1 sided and us significantly worse but I guess it was actually kind of close and we only lost by 5 just googling it now.

The uconn game @MSG approximately 18 months ago was horrendous since they were so bad and we still managed to blow the lead and lose.

The collapse(s) against UMass at the Dome twice in the same season, granted one was the NIT.

At Duke in 2014. As predictable as it was that the first time we played at Cameron we had the game stolen from us on a horrible charge call, it didn’t make it any less enraging.

The Villanova game where McCullough fouled out on a play where he got undercut and then carried on a guy’s back and dropped to the ground, and we lost in the final seconds is up there too. Everyone of those recent losses to scrubby St. John’s, Georgetown, and UConn teams don’t sit well.

UConn and Pitt in the Dome In 2005.

Notre Dame on that buzzer beater in 1990.

Pitt 2010 I was particularly enraged because I thought we were FINALLY going to beat those :&$s.

We lost by ten.

That was a Michael Stephens game.

How about Seton Hall in 2011, anybody? The 1999 Providence game that SWC mentioned last week (spotted them a 16-0 lead) was also a lot of fun. And I still can hear Dick Vitale yelling about the Baron of Westwood that season somewhere back in the recesses of my brain.

Also, Kentucky in Alaska, November 1996. That was a quick return to reality after the previous spring.

Charles Smith of Georgetown going coast-to-coast unchecked for the game winner in 88, right after Sherman hit the go-ahead and Seikaly hands them the ball to in-bound after it goes through the hoop (clock didn't stop after a basket in those days). Reggie Williams was finally gone, and after that it felt like we'd never beat them after losing 3x the year before.
I was 11 years old and in the Dome for that one. I can still see it in my head. :vomit:

Lost a season opening high school football game as the result of some really crazy-weird plays going in favor of the opponent. A surefire pick-six bounced off our safety's chest into the hands of the receiver for a touchdown, their RB got stripped by a linebacker (me) and the ball bounced into the FB's hands for another touchdown. A kick return that would have been a touchdown was foiled when a player (me :() got run into by the returner while trying to make a block.

That was my most disappointing regular season loss.

Lost a season opening high school football game as the result of some really crazy-weird plays going in favor of the opponent. A surefire pick-six bounced off our safety's chest into the hands of the receiver for a touchdown, their RB got stripped by a linebacker (me) and the ball bounced into the FB's hands for another touchdown. A kick return that would have been a touchdown was foiled when a player (me :() got run into by the returner while trying to make a block.

That was my most disappointing regular season loss.

Most creative humblebrag I will see all day.

A couple random ones that haven't been mentioned:

2003-04 opener in the Dome against Charlotte: insane shooting performance by Brandon Plavitch and ruined my Thanksgiving the following day.

Also the season finale of the 1996-97 season against Pitt in the Dome. That's another one of those toss-up games that probably takes us in the tourney if we win.

1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2017 we are literally in the tournament with one more victory each season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom