You're the CFB Commissioner | Syracusefan.com

You're the CFB Commissioner

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
OFF SEASON TIME BABY

What would you change if you could? Often debated but here's a few things I would change.

1. 8 TEAM PLAYOFF - Don't really care how you do it - could see arguments for AQ's for Conference Champs but I don't want some lucky 7-5 team getting in either so

2. TRANSFERS - Absolutely no player will ever be blocked from transferring to a new school. Also you can transfer, play ONLY 4 games, and retain the redshirt. So for example Abdul Adams or Trishton could have transferred here, and played 4 games, while retaining their redshirt. I know they were allowed to play in the bowl game, but you shouldn't have to sit and miss an entire year.

3. SALARY CAP - This one may get interesting but hear me out - schools should have a max they can spend on coaching salaries. Spend all the money you want for facilities and things like that, but I can't get over the gross overpaying for college coaches. I know I can't judge too much about how another man makes a living, but it's out of control. Strength coaches making over 500k a year. Assistants making over a million dollars a year. Coaches getting bonuses for hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of their 6 million dollar salaries. I know it would never happen but it's really REALLY hard to say kids shouldn't see SOME of the money, when their strength coach makes $725,000.

What say you?

Conference realignment? Rule changes? Syracuse is default in the CFP?

OFF SEASON TIME BABY

What would you change if you could? Often debated but here's a few things I would change.

1. 8 TEAM PLAYOFF - Don't really care how you do it - could see arguments for AQ's for Conference Champs but I don't want some lucky 7-5 team getting in either so

2. TRANSFERS - Absolutely no player will ever be blocked from transferring to a new school. Also you can transfer, play ONLY 4 games, and retain the redshirt. So for example Abdul Adams or Trishton could have transferred here, and played 4 games, while retaining their redshirt. I know they were allowed to play in the bowl game, but you shouldn't have to sit and miss an entire year.

3. SALARY CAP - This one may get interesting but hear me out - schools should have a max they can spend on coaching salaries. Spend all the money you want for facilities and things like that, but I can't get over the gross overpaying for college coaches. I know I can't judge too much about how another man makes a living, but it's out of control. Strength coaches making over 500k a year. Assistants making over a million dollars a year. Coaches getting bonuses for hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of their 6 million dollar salaries. I know it would never happen but it's really REALLY hard to say kids shouldn't see SOME of the money, when their strength coach makes $725,000.

What say you?

Years ago my elderly father asked me if Syracuse will be invited to the Final four. I told him that would be easier.

I now want a 16 team playoff with auto bids to all conferences, (see my posts on the subject) but i realize an 8 team playoff will be a step along the way. Actually the best magic wand thing would be to have Division I be the power conference teams,, Division II to be the non-power conference teams + FCS, , and Division II to be the current Division II and II plus the NAIA teams. Have an 8 team playoff in Division I, 16 in Division II and 32 in Division III.

Last edited:
If schools can make millions then why a salary cap so they get to keep more.
I would allow players to make money off their likiness.
Lawrence would get millions for commercials after that performance but he can’t make anything while a student athlete.
Let the kids sell their jerseys and got a piece.
Stop the 1-AA tomato can games. Play 11 regular season games.

If schools can make millions then why a salary cap so they get to keep more.
I would allow players to make money off their likiness.
Lawrence would get millions for commercials after that performance but he can’t make anything while a student athlete.
Let the kids sell their jerseys and got a piece.
Stop the 1-AA tomato can games. Play 11 regular season games.

I guess my point was then give certain money back to the players

I agree with that. Players should get more.
I am not saying a salary but let them be able to make money off their images.

I want bowl games to be Money-In-The-Bank matches. Camping World for $100,000. 85 schollies split the winnings. I know that's like next to nothing but still would be awesome to see

If I'm Commissioner I go to a 16 team playoff. Top seeded teams host. Championship game is Neutral Site.

4 weekends
Dec8, Dec15, Dec29, Jan5

I want bowl games to be Money-In-The-Bank matches. Camping World for $100,000. 85 schollies split the winnings. I know that's like next to nothing but still would be awesome to see

I like this a ton!!! Maybe even more $, and then those that play get paid unless its due to injury. If Grier doesnt want to play his share goes back into the pot split by the rest of the team.

I know that this is a VERY unpopular opinion, but I really don't want playoff expansion. As a college football fan over all I really love that every game matters. I fear that a 3 loss Alabama gets in. I also dont want a bootlegged PAC-12 team getting in if they dont deserve it. I would love Cuse in the playoff, but I want it because they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. We are due...we tend to be in the top 4 every 30 years or so...'59, '87, '19 ...rough math but stay with me ;)

I like this a ton!!! Maybe even more $, and then those that play get paid unless its due to injury. If Grier doesnt want to play his share goes back into the pot split by the rest of the team.

Tier it - the better the bowl, the better the reward

Hell no!

if I was commissioner...

8 team playoff - 5 conf champs, best g5 and 2 WCs
allow pods, 3-5-5 or however each individual conf wants to play our its season
deregulate conf championship games and allow confs to determine who plays in them
3 year death penalties for Pedo State, Baylor and MSU. If anyone from Happy Valley complains a peep, make it 5
force the Big 12 to expand with Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Temple, USF and UCF

OFF SEASON TIME BABY

What say you?

Here's a [rules] change I would institute in both college football and the NFL:

Any penalty yardage to be assessed before a kickoff will now be assessed after the result of the kickoff

I honestly don't know why this has never been changed.

Last edited:
There should NEVER, EVER be a salary cap on someone's salary other than set by the enterprise that is paying that person.

If a player goes down (knee, leg, arm, etc.) without getting touched he can get back-up and continue to play on. Hate that stupid rule and wish would change like NFL.

Pass interference - should be spot foul where the play happened ala the NFL. Don't like the 15 yard penalty unless it works in SU's favor :)

Less freaking TV timeouts which leads to more action. I know it pays the bills but do they really need all these stupid stoppage's.

I would get rid of intentional grounding. In a time when we are trying to avoid unnecessary hits to defenseless players, I have no idea why we make QBs hang into the ball rather than getting rid of it.

I know that this is a VERY unpopular opinion, but I really don't want playoff expansion. As a college football fan over all I really love that every game matters. I fear that a 3 loss Alabama gets in. I also dont want a bootlegged PAC-12 team getting in if they dont deserve it. I would love Cuse in the playoff, but I want it because they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. We are due...we tend to be in the top 4 every 30 years or so...'59, '87, '19 ...rough math but stay with me ;)

If you review a season to see how many games had a direct impact on who gets into a 2 team playoff, that's 'W'. The number of games that would have a direct impact on who gets into a four team playoff is 'X". The number of games that would have a direct impact on who gets into and eight team playoff is 'Y'. The number of games that would have a direct impact on who gets into a sixteen team playoff is 'Z'

Now I don't know what actual numbers apply to W, X, Y and Z. it will change from season to season. but i'm quite sure that Z > Y > X > W. I also know that, in terms of impact on the national championship, games involving two Group of Five teams current have no effect at all.

Increasing the number of teams in playoff decrease the significance of the regular season in a 30 team pro league but not in a 130 team college division. And college games can have significance for reason other than the national championship.

Here's a [rules] change I would institute in both college football and the NFL:

Any penalty yardage to be assessed before a kickoff will now be assessed after the result of the kickoff

I honestly don't know why this has never been changed.

I'd get rid of the "Catch it in your but" rule, that any bouncing punt is a fumble if it touches a player from the receiving team, even if it bounces off their back. Turnovers are huge in a game and the receiving team should at least by trying to catch it for it to be a fumble. the rule should read that it has to touch their hands.

I would get rid of intentional grounding. In a time when we are trying to avoid unnecessary hits to defenseless players, I have no idea why we make QBs hang into the ball rather than getting rid of it.

Should a QB just be able to spike it if he's about to be sacked? That seems to too easy. I'd get rid of the "outside the tackles" part but keep the requirement that the ball has to get beyond the line of scrimmage.

First thing I do is clean up the dirt around recruiting. Too many programs who run a clean operation (see Syraacuse) are put at a tremendous disadvantage because of the shadiness that takes place in the southeast and other blue blood programs throughout the country. I would lay the law down and significantly increase any penalty where programs are found to be cheating to get an upper hand in recruiting.

Second, I increase the playoff to 8. No auto-bids. Same process they are currently using, but now you select 8 teams. Rotate the 6 major bowl games through the 1st and 2nd round to keep the money flowing into their pockets so they are kept happy and do the championship game how they are currently doing it.

Regarding transferring have a set criteria for when student athletes are allowed to transfer with immediate eligibility. Grad transfers, school put on probation (assuming you weren't the reason why), coach gets fired/leaves, sick immediate family member and university you are transferring to is within 1 hour from campus. That's all I can think of for now, but would be open to other reasons if they make sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom