Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally had this convo with someone tonight. LaBrosse is PERFECT for this role.

I feel like Dino really did some thorough research on what he wanted his D to look like moving forward, took inventory of the players he has and who he's getting and then had Rocky Long advising him along the way.
Im a little concerned on how they will use Bear. He can play nose but he will have to drop a few more pounds. He needs to be able to move fast.

Im a little concerned on how they will use Bear. He can play nose but he will have to drop a few more pounds. He needs to be able to move fast.

No one better than Edinger to reshape one of these kids into exactly what Dino wants. I’m sure they’ve been working on new workouts, diets, etc for the 3-3-5 for several weeks now.

No one better than Edinger to reshape one of these kids into exactly what Dino wants. I’m sure they’ve been working on new workouts, diets, etc for the 3-3-5 for several weeks now.
Good point

How do you run the NT? 2-gap out of 0 or 1-gap out of offset?

How do you run the NT? 2-gap out of 0 or 1-gap out of offset?

Given the talent on the roster right now, they won't be able to run much 2-gap at NT. Bear is best suited obviously for a 1 gap out of offset, but still isn't even ideal. His speed might be able to cause some gap penetration, but he really needs to be the guy that takes on a double and holds his ground. Not sure he has the strength, size to be able to do it.

As for the 5 tech guys, we have a stockpile of talent there IMHO. DE won't be an issue, nor will OLB... interchangeable given certain fronts. Will be interesting to see how Arnett assesses the talent here and deploys them in various looks. Hopefully they can try and find another 1 gap NT in the grad transfer or JUCO ranks.

I don't usually notice such things. My SAT scores were all math. I barely spelled my name right.
Since you get a minimum of 400 on verbal, I wonder about the math score. ;)

Interesting thoughts on the NT. We all know this is one of the most coveted positions in all of college football so who looks to be the right guy on this team and to go with that, what does the staff look for from here that there aren't 50 schools already pounding the door of each 280+ talented kid?

Given the talent on the roster right now, they won't be able to run much 2-gap at NT. Bear is best suited obviously for a 1 gap out of offset, but still isn't even ideal. His speed might be able to cause some gap penetration, but he really needs to be the guy that takes on a double and holds his ground. Not sure he has the strength, size to be able to do it.

As for the 5 tech guys, we have a stockpile of talent there IMHO. DE won't be an issue, nor will OLB... interchangeable given certain fronts. Will be interesting to see how Arnett assesses the talent here and deploys them in various looks. Hopefully they can try and find another 1 gap NT in the grad transfer or JUCO ranks.
Let me emphasize that this defense doesn't use the typical NT. In this scheme the nose has to be able to move consistently. Has to be able to shade in/out, stunt in/out and loop around 1 (sometimes 2) gaps. There are roles for the typical 1 gap nose too but mainly it rely's on quicker guys. My team is in the largest class in NYS and one of the most competitive sections. We had bigger NT's but our best defense was the year we had a 150 pound NT. He would appear everywhere and disrupt teams offense. He allowed the defense success as whole because he attacked all the right gaps in our fits and didn't surrender.

Let me emphasize that this defense doesn't use the typical NT. In this scheme the nose has to be able to move consistently. Has to be able to shade in/out, stunt in/out and loop around 1 (sometimes 2) gaps. There are roles for the typical 1 gap nose too but mainly it rely's on quicker guys. My team is in the largest class in NYS and one of the most competitive sections. We had bigger NT's but our best defense was the year we had a 150 pound NT. He would appear everywhere and disrupt teams offense. He allowed the defense success as whole because he attacked all the right gaps in our fits and didn't surrender.
Last sentence is the key... at the end of the day if we’re gap sound and winning our matchups nothing else really matters.

Stunts, shades etc. are just tools to aid the players in their battles. When you’ve got guys who use them effectively, now we’re cookin.

On D, imo, it’s alot more about the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s than the X’s and O’s.

I was never a proponent of the Stack until I saw it effectively used from the film room. I think it’s perfect for where we’re headed.

I’m excited about the switch up, it’s going to be a net positive.

So this is my question since u run this. How is a nose at 270 gonna be a 2 gap player. It just seams as though a center is gonna hook onto him and move him where he wants. When I think 2 gap guy I think of Slayton or Eric crime who doesn’t get moved back almost ever and can turn center into whatever gap they are covering. Please explain how or what initial steps are at the spot. Is it mirror step and fight accross?

He was a wrestler wasn’t he.

Most of the good ones are.
So true. Very few people can lock with someone and focus on backfield also. Wrestlers feel naturall body movement. I played nose in a 5-2 slant defense and I was always told early to not get deap until coach realized I could grab guy still look at ball get off and make play. Mr. Overand was stickler for technique until u proved to him u could do it another way.

Here is the roster going into spring:

Josh Black 6-3 270
McKinley Williams 6-4 282
Curtis Harper 6-2 300
Jason Munoz 6-4 251
Joe Rondi 6-4 255

Tyrell Richards 6-4 230
Drew Tuazama 6-5 250
Kingsley Jonathan 6-3 255
Zach Morton 6-4 251
Ishmael Goulbourne 6-3 196
Cooper Dawson 6-5 237
Steve Linton 6-5 215

Caleb Okechukwu 6-4 261 - status unknown

Freshman
Latarie Kinsler 6-4 208

August
Leon Lowery 6-4 219
Kevin Lemieux 6-4 235

So this is my question since u run this. How is a nose at 270 gonna be a 2 gap player. It just seams as though a center is gonna hook onto him and move him where he wants. When I think 2 gap guy I think of Slayton or Eric crime who doesn’t get moved back almost ever and can turn center into whatever gap they are covering. Please explain how or what initial steps are at the spot. Is it mirror step and fight accross?
Its pressure based. Its attacking gaps fast to make it harder for lineman to react. The movement is gonna cause the guard and center to double. That frees up the MLB to attack the vacant gap. First step can vary depending what nose is doing. Its really a DT because he can line up in a 0,1, 2 or 3 technique. What ever it is the guy has to be able to move. San Diego st's DT this year was 260 pounds. He had 20 solo tackles and 5 sacks.

Last edited:
He was a wrestler wasn’t he.
My high school team's OL and DL were almost all wrestlers. The same guy coached both sports and essentially forced the cross training, we won our state championship with a OL that averaged under 200 lbs.

His kids play for the Falcons (first rounder) and BC right now on the OL, although they're a little bigger than we were back in the day...

My high school team's OL and DL were almost all wrestlers. The same guy coached both sports and essentially forced the cross training, we won our state championship with a OL that averaged under 200 lbs.

His kids play for the Falcons (first rounder) and BC right now on the OL, although they're a little bigger than we were back in the day...
A quick search of the Wikipedia later... Your HS team's coach played in the USFL?

We just need some intimidation.

Attachments

• 1579099567526.png
    1579099567526.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 73
Remember the objective here is disruption. Running 1 gap out of a 3 down front is taking the gambit that a lineman has lateral range once he's in his assigned gap. I always thought Shafer's D-lines far outperformed their talent and it was largely because this was all he asked of the inside guys: get off the ball and in your gap, make the OL's leverage irrelevant, make a play in space. It's the reason you can blitz the daylights out of the front and still remain gap sound, getting lineman into the gap disrupts the spacing and frees up linebackers to really do damage attacking the front.

Remember the objective here is disruption. Running 1 gap out of a 3 down front is taking the gambit that a lineman has lateral range once he's in his assigned gap. I always thought Shafer's D-lines far outperformed their talent and it was largely because this was all he asked of the inside guys: get off the ball and in your gap, make the OL's leverage irrelevant, make a play in space. It's the reason you can blitz the daylights out of the front and still remain gap sound, getting lineman into the gap disrupts the spacing and frees up linebackers to really do damage attacking the front.
Good explanation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online