zeller and the refs | Syracusefan.com

zeller and the refs

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
we need to get out to a nice lead cuz the refs are gonna give zeller every call, especially in the 2nd half, i could tell on sunday hes gonna be the darling of the tournament. he'll get away with travels, he'll get away with lowering his shoulder, he'll get away with over and backs, any borderline block/charge call will go his way. he'll get the benefit of the doubt on every call. and i guarandamntee rak and baye will get called for touch fouls on him.

honestly the refs scare me more than indiana in this game, same with oladipo, he'll be hand checking and clutching mcw all game long but the refs wont call anything.

I honestly think we need to blow them out because if it is close the calls are going to all go their way and we will get 'Templed'.

we need to get out to a nice lead cuz the refs are gonna give zeller every call, especially in the 2nd half, i could tell on sunday hes gonna be the darling of the tournament. he'll get away with travels, he'll get away with lowering his shoulder, he'll get away with over and backs, any borderline block/charge call will go his way. he'll get the benefit of the doubt on every call. and i guarandamntee rak and baye will get called for touch fouls on him.

honestly the refs scare me more than indiana in this game, same with oladipo, he'll be hand checking and clutching mcw all game long but the refs wont call anything.
Just getting yourself poised to blame the refs again... paranoia...

big thing for our centers is to go up straight.. if zeller uses his shoulders to create contact and rak and baye drape their arms at all , zeller will get the call. he will also try to exaggerate being tripped as he tries to drop step.. same thing here our bigs need to stay straight and let him try to make his move.. we cant help if the refs call that- if they do then we are screwed as that is favoring zeller- if our guys drape their arms or slide over when he tries the fake trip drop step- its on them for giving the refs a reason to call it on us.

IU was whistled for 4 fouls in the 2nd half. 4. Oladipo was mugging Wyatt away from the ball to keep him from getting it. He literally had 2 hands on him draping his arms over him off the ball and never got called for it.

Bottom line is BT and MCW need to take it right down the throat of IU and dare the refs to make a call. When they do, we have to hit FT's. Shooting from the line is what is going to either makes us or break us. If we can't hit bunnies than it is not the ref's fault or IU's but ours. Our back-up center should not be our best free throw shooter.

The problem is our centers try to block only and not try to get a charge ever! If Zeller goes for a rebound the forwards have to box out and hopefully get an over the back on him.

My big fear is that the refs become the tale of the tape.

Ticky-tac fouls on Southy
Zeller drawing fouls if a cuse guy gets in the way of a good camera shot of him.
BT an MCW getting mugged with and without the ball

If they have good balanced officiating, I think we will have a good game.

Zeller played 35 games, has attempted 253 Free Throws and averages 29.3 minutes per game. Our closest equivalent is MCW who has played 37 games, attempted 175 free throws and averages 35+ minutes per game and also has the ball in his hands most of the game vs Zeller who obviously does not.

In 35 games Zeller @ 29.3 mpg has been called for 79 fouls. In 37 games Rak has been called for 93 fouls in 21.1 mpg and Baye has been called for 88 fouls in 37 games @ 16.4 minutes per game.

We NEED at least one offensive foul on Zeller, preferably 2 because I'm not expecting many of them on the other end of the floor.

after what happened last year against Ohio St and sullinger, and what happened with Indiana temple on Sunday, ur damn right I'm paranoid.
C'mon take your orange goggles off, the world is all sunshine and rainbows and corruption never happens.

C'mon take your orange goggles off, the world is all sunshine and rainbows and corruption never happens.
I am detecting strong sarcasm on your part, enough to make my monitor flicker on this end. I hate it when it does that.

I am detecting strong sarcasm on your part, enough to make my monitor flicker on this end. I hate it when it does that.
Maybe your orange goggles need adjustment?

Yes, considering I have coke bottle lenses. I am blind and can only see blurry orange objects.
image.jpg

Unfortunately, I believe this is true. Every year it seems like there are a few players that get special treatment based on their reputation. Zeller certainly seems to be one of them this year. And Baye and Rak have never been protected from the What calls.

I don't think Baye and Rak are going to get any defensive could calls against Zeller. The refs will call fouls on BMK and RC all day, but Zeller will be allowed to play. If we're going to get any defensive fouls on Zeller, it will have to be with Fair or MCW driving on him and drawing it. And offensive fouls against Zeller will be impossible to get. But you can bet our bigs will collect a couple.

Zeller played 35 games, has attempted 253 Free Throws and averages 29.3 minutes per game. Our closest equivalent is MCW who has played 37 games, attempted 175 free throws and averages 35+ minutes per game and also has the ball in his hands most of the game vs Zeller who obviously does not.

In 35 games Zeller @ 29.3 mpg has been called for 79 fouls. In 37 games Rak has been called for 93 fouls in 21.1 mpg and Baye has been called for 88 fouls in 37 games @ 16.4 minutes per game.

We NEED at least one offensive foul on Zeller, preferably 2 because I'm not expecting many of them on the other end of the floor.
These stats support what I feared. And this doesn't even factor the refs in a pressure situation. Under normal circumstances based on the stats, we would expect foul trouble to our bigs. In under 30 minutes per game Zeller is collecting between 7-8 fouls and that is against normal people - Rak, BMK, and Dirty have to be considered foul prone.

Against Temple, Zeller got in foul trouble early. Kept Temple in the game. If Zeller doesn't have any foul problems why wouldn't Crean play him at least 35? Zeller alone would pick up 10-12 fouls on our bigs and of course Dirty.

I know its a long shot, but I really hope JB can muster some minutes for DC2 in the first half. DC2 could present a different type of defense, absorb some fouls, and maybe, just maybe draw a couple out of Zeller. It could catch Indy by surprise.

Our bigs [and Southerland] need to be smart about not committing dumb fouls. No freebies. Zeller is definitely going to draw some calls, so they can't give away cheap ones. Sometimes you just have to give up a layup.

Well done. One year, although he gave me a real present too, my brother bought me a Swingline Stapler in honor of Milton. He said, "sorry I couldn't find it in red". I replied "I believe you have my stapler. I was told I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume."

Somehow, I think Grant will be considered a big by the end of this one.

There is a good chance we will see Coleman in this game and it won't be because he's been playing better.

Yikes, if we see Coleman against IU we are at Defcon 5.

JB to Coleman after Rak and Baye each pick up their 4th foul 5 minutes into game:

JB: taps DC "you're in"
DC: "OK coach!"
JB: "sweep the leg"
DC looks at JB confused and scared
JB: "do you have a problem with that Mr Coleman!"
DC: "no sensai. I mean coach"

then gmac chimes in "get him a body bag!!! yeaaaaa!!!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824