Zero benefit to playing FCS teams | Syracusefan.com

Zero benefit to playing FCS teams

LetsGoOrange44

Walk On
Very tough to put lipstick on this pig. This game was miserable to watch.

But... we have to remember that playing FCS teams to start the year is always dangerous. This is their Superbowl. They're amped to beat us with very little to lose. Happens every year and the media loves it. Look at Virginia Tech a few years back losing to James Madison to start the year. The Hokies rally after that humiliating loss and end up being a BCS bowl team.

People make too much out of this "It's only an FCS team" thing - it's not pop Warner, folks, and Nova is one of the best in the division. This is the reason these games are no-win propositions for FBS teams.

Nova got every chance to beat SU - arguably our best skill player ejected, extremely poor play calling and execution (both sides of ball), special teams gaffe that led to 7, and a puzzling lack of energy and positioning by both of our lines. And yet... the Orange won the game, folks.

No, this wasn't pretty - not even a little. But SU can go back to the drawing board realizing that they need to work very hard to be a quality team this year. They have all the tools, as rusty as they are right now - the Orange just needs to polish them and use them the right way moving forward.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
I don't mind playing one FCS team but I'd rather start the year off with a Rutgers or Massachusetts.

Agree on many fronts. Would rather pay a lower level FBS team. Do that and maybe I get to watch this game on Tv.

Michigan State
Pittsburgh
Ga Tech
Missouri
Va Tech
Stanford
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas St
Oregon.

All open with FCS teams this weekend.

Michigan State
Pittsburgh
Ga Tech
Missouri
Va Tech
Stanford
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas St
Oregon.

All open with FCS teams this weekend.
Yes, and the beauty of winning against Nova by 1 point on Friday is , now we can watch one of these other programs LOSE against a FCS team.

Last edited:
Yes, and the beauty of winning against Nova by 1 point on Friday is , now we can watch one of these other programs LOSE against a BCS team.

Every year a BCS team gets upset. Just as long as it's not us. ;)

Only positive is we're 1-0 and now realize we better get our ish together when playing against running QBs.

Disagree with OP. The great thing about playing an FCS team is that it counts toward your six wins to go bowling, and it is a game that does not need to be returned.

If SU had beaten Nova as they beat Wagner, nobody would be complaining.

If you want to bring Idaho or FIU to the Dome, SU will have to visit them too. No thanks.

SU should definitely keep playing am FCS team each year. No reason not to.

If Syracuse is to play FCS, they should be in NY. Just an opinion but I prefer Colgate getting our attention and keeping money in the State. Like I said, just an opinion to which if you add $5.00, you can get a Starbucks coffee.

The issue isnt playing a 1AA its who that team is. As much as hate Rutgers they do it the right way by scheduling a 1AA thats so bad there is literally no way they can lose no matter how bad they play. Syracuse should do the same.

JeremyCuse said:
The issue isnt playing a 1AA its who that team is. As much as hate Rutgers they do it the right way by scheduling a 1AA thats so bad there is literally no way they can lose no matter how bad they play. Syracuse should do the same.

We should sign a 7,000 year deal with Wagner.

UVa and VPI "have to play" a Virginia 1-AA team every year or the legislature will make our lives more miserable than the already do. I agree with the posters who say there's nothing to gain and everything to lose. I want us to stop playing them. I don't think that there will ever be a ban on those games because the 1-A teams like the high probability of a win and the 1-AA teams like the high probability of a large paycheck that won't bounce.

If you want to bring Idaho or FIU to the Dome, SU will have to visit them too. No thanks.
Not if you pay them enough.

If the NCAA would rule that a win vs. an FCS team doesn't count toward bowl eligibility it would stop. But that's not going to happen. Too many FBS teams (including us) want to pick up a cheap win or two to ensure bowl eligibility plus it's a way to get an additional home game without having to give a return visit that most FBS schools would demand.

wonder who will be 2015 team we play?

schedule has 2 openings on it, one 1 aa and 1 mac/aac/sunbelt/army type team

SU should definitely keep playing am FCS team each year. No reason not to.

Fine if we can't schedule a 1 and done with them (I think k we can - Florida does - pay check) then we keep it in NY and schedule Army. I'm just not a fan of playing FCS schools.

Fine if we can't schedule a 1 and done with them (I think k we can - Florida does - pay check) then we keep it in NY and schedule Army. I'm just not a fan of playing FCS schools.

1. SU Football (and SU Football $) are not the same as Florida.

2. If SU could just pay an FBS team to come to the Dome for a one-off game, it would. But it can't (see Central Michigan). This isn't the 90s anymore. Many P5 teams have to hit the road to get teams to reciprocate.

If the NCAA would rule that a win vs. an FCS team doesn't count toward bowl eligibility it would stop.
That's not going to happen. Many FCS budgets depend on an FBS paycheck game... or two. Heck, even some lower level FBS budgets depend on one. If FCS games are eliminated then all FCS programs would be negatively impacted.

1. SU Football (and SU Football $) are not the same as Florida.

2. If SU could just pay an FBS team to come to the Dome for a one-off game, it would. But it can't (see Central Michigan). This isn't the 90s anymore. Many P5 teams have to hit the road to get teams to reciprocate.
What you can get from some of the FBS teams is a 2 for 1, you get 2 home games with them and only have to go to their place once. Like you said, it's getting harder to find those

Pitt would disagree with you 62-0 v. Delaware, a consistently good FBS team

Pitt would disagree with you 62-0 v. Delaware, a consistently good FBS team
Delaware jumped the shark when they hired former (inept) Rutgers OC Kyle Flood to replace KC Keeler.
In their defense, Pitt probably schedule the Blue Hens several years ago and expected a better team to show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom