Zionized... | Syracusefan.com

Zionized...

The hype makes you not want to appreciate the guy, but he is basically a miracle. Been watching basketball for decades and have never seen anything like him. Rarely do I marvel at an opposing player but you have to just look on in awe of his athleticism and skill.

The hype makes you not want to appreciate the guy, but he is basically a miracle. Been watching basketball for decades and have never seen anything like him. Rarely do I marvel at an opposing player but you have to just look on in awe of his athleticism and skill.

Best beast since Blake Griffin, and better...

for me, and you could see this game one vs UK ...the most impressing thing is his touch around the rim. there are a ton of powerful guys that can dunk the crap out the ball that amount to jack squat at the next level (Darvin Hamm, Harold Miner) but few have that in the tank and also that Ray Allen smooth layup / bank ability...most of it it just crazy hands and balance

Lots of players would be that dominant if they got MJ calls like Zion did.
I just honestly don’t think that mattered that much.

Did the air from the refs whistle gave him another 4 inches on his vertical?

Dude dominated with or without the refs.

Chukwu or Marek weren’t doing anything to slow that train down, whistles be damned.

I just honestly don’t think that mattered that much.

Did the air from the refs whistle gave him another 4 inches on his vertical?

Dude dominated with or without the refs.

Chukwu or Marek weren’t doing anything to slow that train down, whistles be damned.
Zion is one of a kind but any natural scorer would be unstoppable if you weren't allowed to play defense against them.

Listen. yes he is skilled AF and an athletic freak the likes of which we haven't seen BUT... Go back and watch the tape... this dude would have had 4 fouls in the first half alone and that would have changed how he played immensely. When you can bump, hammer, slap and bull your way into players with NO CALLS AT ALL, then you get what you saw last night. if they call even a few of those he tones it down bigtime to not foul out

Listen. yes he is skilled AF and an athletic freak the likes of which we haven't seen BUT... Go back and watch the tape... this dude would have had 4 fouls in the first half alone and that would have changed how he played immensely. When you can bump, hammer, slap and bull your way into players with NO CALLS AT ALL, then you get what you saw last night. if they call even a few of those he tones it down bigtime to not foul out
It’s amazing - I think he only ended up w 2 fouls.

big dude was amazing. i regret we didn't get to see him play live in the dome .

Last edited:
As annoying as the constant discussion of him is, and as annoying as his license to commit fouls with no call last night was, it can’t take away from how incredible of an athlete and player he is.

He’s just on a whole different level out there. It’s not even close.

Duke pressures Syracuse. Syracuse drives past Duke and into the lane where two Duke players promptly knock the Syracuse player to the ground. No foul is called. The ball rolls across the court, a Duke player picks it up and passes it ahead to Zion Williamson for an uncontested dunk ... then everybody gushes about how good Zion Williamson is.

This happened about 5 times last night, and I had about a thousand thoughts watching it ... not one of those thousand thoughts involved Zion Williamson being really good at basketball. How is that possibly the take-away from last night's officiating debacle?

As annoying as the constant discussion of him is, and as annoying as his license to commit fouls with no call last night was, it can’t take away from how incredible of an athlete and player he is.

He’s just on a whole different level out there. It’s not even close.

He's definitely on another level. I don't watch very much NBA until playoff time and some that watch more seemed to disagree earlier in the season, but I have a hard time seeing how he won't do pretty well there.

Duke pressures Syracuse. Syracuse drives past Duke and into the lane where two Duke players promptly knock the Syracuse player to the ground. No foul is called. The ball rolls across the court, a Duke player picks it up and passes it ahead to Zion Williamson for an uncontested dunk ... then everybody gushes about how good Zion Williamson is.

This happened about 5 times last night, and I had about a thousand thoughts watching it ... not one of those thousand thoughts involved Zion Williamson being really good at basketball. How is that possibly the take-away from last night's officiating debacle?
I also thought he stayed up on the rim a bit too long after a few of his dunks with no other player in sight, but I guess they don't call that anyone.

It reminded me of being in college where two guys were having a contest to see who could shotgun a beer the fastest. Just to mess around, the whole audience that was in the room quietly decided that no matter what happened they would react like one guy “White”(his last name) won. It happened like 10 times in a row. Everyone yelling and high fiving and pumping up “White”(who was mostly losing in reality), while the other guy, who was unaware that he was being setup and messed with, was just bewildered. He got more and more ticked off and would try protesting and arguing and nobody would pay any attention at all, as they celebrated White’s “accomplishments”.

That was Zion’s game last night. No matter what he was getting to dunk while everyone went nuts over how amazing it was. License to foul.

I’m not talking about his dunks. I’m talking his shot making ability from the post. He was heavily contested on multiple jump-turnaround-shoot from an odd angle shots and he hit all of them. He also has an explosive leaping ability and quickness to rebounds that is unmatched. Then he steps out and drains a 3. He’s off the charts. Anybody at D1 can dunk.

That was my thought, he was clearly a man among boys so to speak. Hats off to the POY for a great game. Hats off to the good guys for making it a game.

Lots of players would be that dominant if they got MJ calls like Zion did.
We got bojangled. But it didn't matter, although our guys should be proud of their play. Zion took it to a different level last night. If he can do it tonight I will be even more impressed. Refs won't know who to blow the whistle on.

That's actually a pretty good comp. He also reminds me of Larry Johnson.
Zion is tremendous, but people saying we've never seen anyone like him might be overstating things.

Zion is tremendous, but people saying we've never seen anyone like him might be overstating things.

Yeah, I like the LJ one. Easy to forget how explosive he was in college and his first couple pro seasons before his back injury took that away.

His college stats were pretty similar to Zion’s too.

I recall Griffin having the leaping ability but I don’t remember him as a guy who could’ve gone 13-13 on the type of looks Zion had last nite. We never played against LJ so I can’t comment.

I recall Griffin having the leaping ability but I don’t remember him as a guy who could’ve gone 13-13 on the type of looks Zion had last nite. We never played against LJ so I can’t comment.

Zion's back to to the basket leap and spin moves are off the charts quick for a guy his size.

His quickness in general, for his size and frame, is beyond freakish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom