Zona in Double OT against ASU... | Syracusefan.com

Zona in Double OT against ASU...

cto

Administrator
After ASU blew chance to win in regulation with a shot clock violation. Zona looks very vulnerable. They got very lucky at end of regulation. And ASU could not make a free throw in first OT

Last edited:
cto said:
After ASU blew chance to win in regulation with a shot clock violation. Zona looks very vulnerable. They got very lucky at end of regulation

Their injury situation is similar to pitt losing durand johnson. Completely changes their team

ASU is one of the worst major-conference teams I've seen this year. Just horrendous.

ASU's clock management is the worst I've seen all season. They keep letting the clock go down too far before taking a shot. Just blew another possession, giving Zona a chance to win here

Yeah ASU looks just awful. They have like 1.5 good players, and even those guy(s) aren't that good.

Was the student section chanting "Fix the Clock"? Because that's all I was thinking

Hard to believe they are 18-6
No kidding. Maybe they've looked good at times this year, as tonight is the first time I've seen them. But gawd are they awful tonight. And the supposed #2 team in the country is in double OT with them.

Not impressed with either team. ASU has the worst offensive sets, or lack of same, I've seen all season. Next to no passing.

Sendek should call a TO.. and begin by saying... "This is a shot clock." ASU messes up the clock on practically every possession. Either they get a violation... or put up a hurried wild shot with no time left. Pathetic.

I really regret having tuned in on this game at the beginning of the second half, because while it is a close game, the level of play kind of sucks. I should have gone to bed or caught a movie.

There should have been a technical on Carson. He didn't just hang on the rim--he chinned himself and refused to let go. A tremendously selfish play--he could have simply taken one more dribble, and the clock expires. A total "look-at-me" move.

Incidentally, I am less impressed by Arizona than I was coming into this game. Much less.

There should have been a technical on Carson. He didn't just hang on the rim--he chinned himself and refused to let go. A tremendously selfish play--he could have simply taken one more dribble, and the clock expires. A total "look-at-me" move.
He was hanging to protect himself from the court-storming?? If I were he, that would be my story. :)

Last edited:
He was hanging to protect himself from the court-storming?? If I were he, that would be my story. :)
Oddly enough, the court storming was initiated by the ASU bench. I was shocked.

Incredibly poorly played game. Def should have been a tech for hanging. Zona is a one man show on offense with johnson. With as physical as they play d they are ripe to get picked off early due to foul trouble and only one true option on offense.

Man, I thought this thread was going end in disappointment as the majority of them do. Anyhow, thanks CTO!!!

PS Didn't JarHeadJim "call" this game again(without the allegorical use of his wife this time, possibly due to the current climate? lol). Well, I am giving him his due. I am grateful for as much breathing space as possible.

PPS Anyone who doesnt think Duke can still get a 1 seed, needs their head checked. They have 2 chances to beat us, and we could also lose to UVA. I know the selection committee now disavows late season performance, but do they also disavow victory margins? *cough*

That said, I'm still rooting for us to pull a spirit of 76, but am dumfounded how some people sound so sure of themelves.

Man, I thought this thread was going end in disappointment as the majority of them do. Anyhow, thanks CTO!!!

PS Didn't JarHeadJim "call" this game again(without the allegorical use of his wife this time, possibly due to the current climate? lol). Well, I am giving him his due. I am grateful for as much breathing space as possible.

PPS Anyone who doesnt think Duke can still get a 1 seed, needs their head checked. They have 2 chances to beat us, and we could also lose to UVA. I know the selection committee now disavows late season performance, but do they also disavow victory margins? *cough*

That said, I'm still rooting for us to pull a spirit of 76, but am dumfounded how some people sound so sure of themelves.
We could also lose to NC State, Boston College, Maryland, Georgia Tech or Florida State. No game is a given. Not saying we WILL lose any of those games, but those chickens have not been hatched yet.

We could also lose to NC State, Boston College, Maryland, Georgia Tech or Florida State. No game is a given. Not saying we WILL lose any of those games, but those chickens have not been hatched yet.

I agree...Ive been a fan long enough to know better...but I am guessing I am getting caught up in the "Mantonio on steroids" mentality that currently pervades this board. Yes, we have a very special team, but even Doris Burke called it clearly that this wasnt the best SU team ever(likely not close...although I suppose before season's end it could close the gap). We've had some very favorable scheduling, a weak conference, and the landscape of parity leans more toward abject mediocrity than dozens of very good teams, especially when injuries are factored in. I'm not running for office obviously... I mean I think we have a good shot of winning it all(provided we can avoid another single injury, or foul trouble in the post season...or facing a team like Duke without CJ having a career night)... Anyhow, I went off on tangents but youre correct in that no game is a given. I was just citing the only other 2 games we have a shot of being underdogs in during our inaugural season in this pathetic conference.

There may come a point where it might interest SWC or any fan to check out the average margin of victories, regardless of our pace. I mean we beat Nova by 20...so such things are possible. Ive stepped on the night train and probably should abstain from posting much more tonight, but I love this board too much.

I agree...Ive been a fan long enough to know better...but I am guessing I am getting caught up in the "Mantonio on steroids" mentality that currently pervades this board. Yes, we have a very special team, but even Doris Burke called it clearly that this wasnt the best SU team ever(likely not close...although I suppose before season's end it could close the gap). We've had some very favorable scheduling, a weak conference, and the landscape of parity leans more toward abject mediocrity than dozens of very good teams, especially when injuries are factored in. I'm not running for office obviously... I mean I think we have a good shot of winning it all(provided we can avoid another single injury, or foul trouble in the post season...or facing a team like Duke without CJ having a career night)... Anyhow, I went off on tangents but youre correct in that no game is a given. I was just citing the only other 2 games we have a shot of being underdogs in during our inaugural season in this pathetic conference.

There may come a point where it might interest SWC or any fan to check out the average margin of victories, regardless of our pace. I mean we beat Nova by 20...so such things are possible. Ive stepped on the night train and probably should abstain from posting much more tonight, but I love this board too much.
Scoring margin stats are available. Here are the stats within ACC. I am too lazy at 1:13 am to look up entire NCAA stats.. As you can see, we are third in ACC (all games, not just conference games).

1.Duke +14.82.
Pittsburgh +12.53.
Syracuse +12.34.
Virginia +10.85
.North Carolina +8.36.
Clemson +6.67.
Florida State +6.48.
Notre Dame +3.49.
Maryland +3.210
.NC State +2.111.
Miami +1.812.
Wake Forest +1.413.
Georgia Tech +0.814.
Virginia Tech -3.015.
Boston College -4.7

Last edited:
Zona had a hard time scoring with Ashley. They are an extremely great defensive team, but very average on offense.

Scoring margin stats are available. Here are the stats within ACC. I am too lazy at 1:13 am to look up entire NCAA stats.. As you can see, we are third in ACC (all games, not just conference games).

1.Duke +14.82.
Pittsburgh +12.53.
Syracuse +12.34.
Virginia +10.85
.North Carolina +8.36.
Clemson +6.67.
Florida State +6.48.
Notre Dame +3.49.
Maryland +3.210
.NC State +2.111.
Miami +1.812.
Wake Forest +1.413.
Georgia Tech +0.814.
Virginia Tech -3.015.
Boston College -4.7

Thanks, it just sems hard to believe because I could have sworn Ive seen Duke take down a couple of teams by 30, give or take...maybe even one of them being a mutual opponent we struggled with. Of course as I proposed before, for awhile Duke seemed to have been on a steady climb, whereas we've often dont little more than enough to get by(although one could argue logically that that is the optimal way to do things, at least in terms of straight energy expenditure). Anyhow, if we were to shorten this to more modern times, like maybe the last 6 games, might it look different.? It's earlier here for me,, but without corrupting your morals I don't wish to say why I am in no shape to be expending energy on sports research at the moment. Just pacifying my mind while I am still coherent ;)

Thanks, it just sems hard to believe because I could have sworn Ive seen Duke take down a couple of teams by 30, give or take...maybe even one of them being a mutual opponent we struggled with. Of course as I proposed before, for awhile Duke seemed to have been on a steady climb, whereas we've often dont little more than enough to get by(although one could argue logically that that is the optimal way to do things, at least in terms of straight energy expenditure). Anyhow, if we were to shorten this to more modern times, like maybe the last 6 games, might it look different.? It's earlier here for me,, but without corrupting your morals I don't wish to say why I am in no shape to be expending energy on sports research at the moment. Just pacifying my mind while I am still coherent ;)

Well, we haven't lost, so our scoring margin will be higher. Teams with losses have to work extra hard to make up ground. Unless the margin of victory stat already account for it, perhaps it's more appropriate to look at margin of victory in wins only.

Oy vey...

Captain, there's a fine line between realism and overt pessimism.

Enjoy the run.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom