Zone doesn’t work without a Center | Syracusefan.com

Zone doesn’t work without a Center

B

Brooky03

The threes tonight are the direct result of not having a defensive presence at Center. Yes, the guards (all three of them) didn’t do great at the top of the zone, but so much of what isn’t working is because Marek solo on defense vs a real Center is an automatic 2 points or free throws. It’s not Marek’s fault; he’s doing what he can at 140lbs.

The only fix is to get a Center who can defend the paint on his own. That honestly shouldn’t be as hard to find as it seemingly has been. There are like 40 of them coming out of high school every year.

Been Saying this since Sidibe injury. The lack of interior defense makes everyone have to crash down to assist in defending the paint which gives the outside shooters wide open looks when their is a kick out. If our guards and wings stay out to protect against the 3, the center dominates the interior against Marek. That is why I have been so frustrated and adamant to at least get Edward's minutes to help out the interior defense. Yes, he isn't Etan Thomas, but he is a 7 foot center that can provide something different inside.

Center,pg, big forward that shoots well, same with small and a coach that was born after the civil war

Been Saying this since Sidibe injury. The lack of interior defense makes everyone have to crash down to assist in defending the paint which gives the outside shooters wide open looks when their is a kick out. If our guards and wings stay out to protect against the 3, the center dominates the interior against Marek. That is why I have been so frustrated and adamant to at least get Edward's minutes to help out the interior defense. Yes, he isn't Etan Thomas, but he is a 7 foot center that can provide something different inside.
I predicted aafter Jesse's breakout game that he would get 8 minutes over next 3 games. I might have overshot.

And I will say... I fully understand that the sidibe injury removed a key center cog from our team. And Frank has been out.

But we still have 2 centers on the roster. I’m sorry. And I can’t resist a chance to keep asking that question.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but there has clearly been games where Marek has been woefully inept at handling the 5 spot.

Not his fault, he is who he is, a skinny 3 or 4 in our system - so we really need to figure out some way to address that.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but there has clearly been games where Marek has been woefully inept at handling the 5 spot.

Not his fault, he is who he is, a skinny 3 or 4 in our system - so we really need to figure out some way to address that.
Can't blame him at all. He's a good hybrid PF playing out of position. Not his fault in the least.

This.
Jesse doesn't even SNIFF the 'effin floor, as the Marek Experiment goes unabated! Is JB the only guy in cbb who DOESN'T see what a bad idea that is? Fer chrissakes, can we try something, anything different when its obvious that's not working?
JB is old and will not change. He is always right, just ask him.

Closing out on shooters has been a joke. They collapse like Hakeem olajuwon is playing center. They don’t need 5 players in the paint.
The saddest thing is that even with 5 guys in the paint, we can not get the rebound on the rare occasion when UVA missed.

Even if we have 2012 Syracuse personnel the zone is outdated in today’s game.

I don’t buy this. The zone with that personnel could defend 5 shooters on the court better than 99% of man defenses.
Rewind to Wisconsin sweet 16 - basically a clone of Virginia offensively. There was no defense in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom