FSU vs The ACC | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

While I agree with you it comes down to the future vision of the University from the SU Administrators and Trustees. We walked away from AAU, from my understanding, as the AAU organization was going much more STEM including a heavy focus on Medical. We simply don’t have a Medical program which is a HUGE issue for the school overall IMO. UpState Med is right there and could easily be incorporated into SU but that would take SU becoming a hybrid school like Cornell & Pitt for example and from what I have heard, the Trustees, etc like their sole private status and no interference (or limited anyway) from Albany. While we are going there, the Engineering program and Computer Science programs could be improved as well. Adding in a satellite campus downstate such as taking over SUNY Purchase under the SU umbrella for example would be a huge boost as well. It‘s a lack of vision and expanding the current thinking that is holding SU back IMO.
From what I've read Upstate has less than zero interest in an any affiliation with SU.

From what I've read Upstate has less than zero interest in an any affiliation with SU.
Upstate Administration maybe,, I highly doubt Albany won’t work with SU if there was any interest on SU’s part. Who knows as I doubt SU Administrators / Trustees will ever do it anyway but it would bolster SU in many ways and be good for the school.

Several years ago SU proposed a small medical school for veterans; Upstate objected vociferously and nothing has ever happened.

Upstate Administration maybe,, I highly doubt Albany won’t work with SU if there was any interest on SU’s part. Who knows as I doubt SU Administrators / Trustees will ever do it anyway but it would bolster SU in many ways and be good for the school.
The State’s Downstate Medical Center was shut down because of all the financial issues. Surprised that the state wouldn’t welcome some help with Upstate.

Weiss fell for something that supposedly happened over a year ago.
Wait so the rest of the ACC would throw us out? Where can I sign up for this? I'm frankly ready for this solution if it means back to the Big East for hoops and olympics and a free agency of sorts for our football program. I would assume we'd link up with ND in some sort of loose federation along with BC (maybe Pitt?).

It all seems so stupid but i'm responding to stupidity

FSU definitely spends on football like an SEC school.
Interesting that FSU, which CAN'T COMPETE with the B1G and SEC due to the financial disparity caused by the ACC media contracts spends more than anyone on in the B1G and would be number 2 in the SEC behind Alabama. Miami (who is not whining about its lot in conference life) also spends more than any team in the B1G and would only be behind Alabama in the B1G.

Wait so the rest of the ACC would throw us out? Where can I sign up for this? I'm frankly ready for this solution if it means back to the Big East for hoops and olympics and a free agency of sorts for our football program. I would assume we'd link up with ND in some sort of loose federation along with BC (maybe Pitt?).

It all seems so stupid but i'm responding to stupidity
Dumb. That is AD department suicide.

Weiss fell for something that supposedly happened over a year ago.
The problem with most of the internet speculators (I know, some are legit writers) is that:

1) they fail to look at anything beyond what is in front of them,
2) they fail to look at the law (I mean the real law, not the ambulance chaser's version of law),
3) they fail to consider ESPN'S positions, liabilities, responsibilities, and as a segment of a larger corporation,
4) they refuse to factor in political impacts, NOT Republican v. Democrat, but that all of Congress will want to control anything that appears monopolistic,
5) they forget that fans of other schools have no obligation legal, moral, or ethical, to watch Mississippi St. play Minnesota,
6) they fail to look at the real financials. Even if FSU jumps next year, the cost of jumping - $572MM at their estimate, I think it will be higher as that would be the floor not the ceiling, spread over 11 years of new income would require they get a net increase of more than $50MM annually! No, neither the SEC nor the B1G is projected to hit the $50MM+ differential with the ACC anytime soon, and even then it's not sufficient to break even. FSU is better off waiting out the GOR.
7) they fail to admit the ACC and ESPN are making money, simply shutting down a profit center is only viable when you will make a significant increase by doing so;
8) they fail to realize that the remainder of the ACC has no incentive to settle;
9) they fail to realize that FSU fans will not be happy being a mid-tier program or worse, which is likely to happen if FSU gets what it wants;
10) they conveniently forget that FSU could not afford the pittance of a $100 MM settlement they offered last summer, let alone more than half a billion it is likely to command in the present term.

There is more, but that should be sufficient for now. The FSU BoT is likely to resolve the matter quietly and quickly if real progress is not made soon. The legal fees are already likely in the $MMs and may soon exceed the ACC exit fee. They will not be happy paying big money for nothing.

Just one Fan's opinion.

Dumb. That is AD department suicide.
if we get thrown out (stupid argument) how is that an AD fault? I think if JW can get us into a comfortable/profitable situation he will do so. Everyone is operating selfishly at this point with no concern for conference stability. So if SU can retain their ability to run a profitable organization that would be great.

I suspect we'll be on the outside looking in no matter how positive people are about where we end up. It's all a stay of execution for us.

if we get thrown out (stupid argument) how is that an AD fault? I think if JW can get us into a comfortable/profitable situation he will do so. Everyone is operating selfishly at this point with no concern for conference stability. So if SU can retain their ability to run a profitable organization that would be great.

I suspect we'll be on the outside looking in no matter how positive people are about where we end up. It's all a stay of execution for us.
We know. You’ve only said this for 5 years yet here we are.

And suicide is not the same as being kicked out.

Interesting that FSU, which CAN'T COMPETE with the B1G and SEC due to the financial disparity caused by the ACC media contracts spends more than anyone on in the B1G and would be number 2 in the SEC behind Alabama. Miami (who is not whining about its lot in conference life) also spends more than any team in the B1G and would only be behind Alabama in the B1G.
I would love to know where this extra $50M is being spent at FSU, Miami, and other big spending schools. Coaching salaries add up to $10M in an extreme case? Where's the rest going?

I would love to know where this extra $50M is being spent at FSU, Miami, and other big spending schools. Coaching salaries add up to $10M in an extreme case? Where's the rest going?
Coaching salaries at SU add up to $10MM. Coaching at the factories is in the $20MM range. That said, your point stands.

I suspect most of the spending is heavily disguised as facilities, training, diet, tutoring, etc. with the extra money going to pay high salaries with the expectation that donations to certain players will be made, legally through an NIL.

You will never see an accurate accounting of all that FSU spends. Clemson, maybe. They have a dynamic support group with money.

Tuition, room and board and other college fees cannot be more than SU.

Then add in the foolish squandering with video gaming at every locker, putt-putt courses, etc., etc., etc.

Don't be surprised if the ACC calls out FSU' on their spending and exposes it for everyone. Seriously, FSU could have to defend their position based on the amount they spend. Who knows, it could be great for college sports.

I’m sure all of those expense figures are bogus in some way or another.

That being said, the mere fact that any school would claim that they “can’t compete” while spending tens of millions of dollars on a sport is obscene.

And it’s why if the whole thing blew up and went away tomorrow I’d have no sympathy for anyone but the players.

I refuse to believe Syracuse's numbers are accurate.

A new dome and the expansion at Manley don't mean anything?

Something doesn't seem correct. Fancy accounting at work.

I refuse to believe Syracuse's numbers are accurate.

A new dome and the expansion at Manley don't mean anything?

Something doesn't seem correct. Fancy accounting at work.
SU does some funny accounting for athletics. How do they calculate money brought in from ticket sales? I believe donations for seating goes to athletics and the rest to the general fund or something along those lines. I’m not sure if other schools do this? I think the University charges athletics for use of the Dome facility.

I think the University charges athletics for use of the Dome facility.
This is probably true.

There are lots of events held in the Dome that are not athletic related.
The last number that I saw (several years ago) indicated that it was more than 1 event per day.

At least they no longer need to keep the roof inflated...

SU does some funny accounting for athletics. How do they calculate money brought in from ticket sales? I believe donations for seating goes to athletics and the rest to the general fund or something along those lines. I’m not sure if other schools do this? I think the University charges athletics for use of the Dome facility.

Well the university technically doesn’t own the dome as I understand it

Just another point of view:

With the payouts now public, the average ACC payout is about $15MM below the B1G and SEC. If FSU wants out as it stands, they must pay $572MM. FSU's payback will be roughly 18 years and likely more in interest.

Knowing that FSU has no money to buy their way out, This points out that FSU is not being run by the proper brain trust.

And to think, FSU actually floated a $100MM offer with them paying the money over 10 years. FSU BOT, President and AD are doing some seriously dangerous hallucinogens.

P.S. The ACC is in the look-in period, is the difference is not likely what FSU claims.

P.P.S. The ACC revenue went up nearly 15% years over year, the most of any conference. This fact destroys the Big 12 myths. This fact proves that ESPN is making money off the ACC and that the ACCN is profitable. This also proves FSU's AD is acting moronic. Especially in alienating ESPN and not being a desired target of the B1G.

Just this Fan's opinion...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom