2023-24 NBA Season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Wemby played poorly in one game. Was much more engaged in game 2. Neither proves anything. My only concern is outside of Kareem, tall thin guys have struggled in the league. Listening to NBA radio today callers were making it out like Ralph Sampson was Wilt. He wasn't. Bradley wasn't, Porzingis isn't... history makes me skeptical on longevity (and his best offensive skill at this point is dribbling).

His flexibility, core strength, etc will be much more important.

KAJ, KG, KD, etc. KD couldn't even do a bench rep.

As his team said, the scary part is if he put on too much weight. You'd much rather have Wemby than Zion. Zion's body is much more likely to break down.

His flexibility, core strength, etc will be much more important.

KAJ, KG, KD, etc. KD couldn't even do a bench rep.

As his team said, the scary part is if he put on too much weight. You'd much rather have Wemby than Zion. Zion's body is much more likely to break down.
Don't disagree - point is I guess sample size for both body types is not stellar.

It’s just….completely ridiculous, to me. It’s unnecessary and I don’t see the point. Feels like they’re very insecure about their product.

The season would be fine if the good players sit out fewer games. Figure out how to solve that, but this ain’t it.

Ever since COVID, the NBA and MLB have lost their minds with the stupid gimmicks.

I think most of the changes have worked out for MLB (except the extra innings runner on 2nd rule is insanely dumb); however, I agree that the in-season tournament in the NBA is pretty meaningless to me. One of the (many) reasons that I can't really get into soccer is that I never know who the hell is playing for what. There's like 17 trophies all being played for at once. It's all nonsense to me. The only trophy that matters in the NBA is the Larry O'Brien. The mid-season tournament will be met with indifference by most, including the players.

I think most of the changes have worked out for MLB (except the extra innings runner on 2nd rule is insanely dumb); however, I agree that the in-season tournament in the NBA is pretty meaningless to me. One of the (many) reasons that I can't really get into soccer is that I never know who the hell is playing for what. There's like 17 trophies all being played for at once. It's all nonsense to me. The only trophy that matters in the NBA is the Larry O'Brien. The mid-season tournament will be met with indifference by most, including the players.
Good point on baseball, I guess it was the runner on second that I had in mind and can’t get past. They initially said it was because of the condensed schedule during COVID as they needed to get those games in and playing a marathon game could really crush teams. Fine.

But keeping it under normal circumstances? Cmon. It’s so scrubby.

I think the mid season tournament has a chance to be cool. I dont really see how it can be bad; if no one cares about it at all then they're just regular season games, which they would be anyway. With the exception of the title game, that's the only extra game there is going to be. And the winning team gets $500k per player, I could see that being an incentive.
This is an obvious statement but if the players take it seriously and value it, it will be cool.

I think the mid season tournament has a chance to be cool. I dont really see how it can be bad; if no one cares about it at all then they're just regular season games, which they would be anyway. With the exception of the title game, that's the only extra game there is going to be. And the winning team gets $500k per player, I could see that being an incentive.
This is an obvious statement but if the players take it seriously and value it, it will be cool.

I think the amount of money is enough to have the players caring about it. Even if the teams play young guys, I think it could still be cool.

Got to try.

I remember there being some skepticism about the play in tournament and now I feel like that is generally considered A Good Thing. The in season tournament could be like that as well.

(or not!)

I think the amount of money is enough to have the players caring about it. Even if the teams play young guys, I think it could still be cool.

Got to try.
I don’t see the fans caring though. It makes no difference to me if an already rich person makes an extra 500,000K or not. *shrug*

The most “extra interest” I have in this so far is waiting to see if Pop load manages his entire starting lineup for it and eats the fine.

I don’t see the fans caring though. It makes no difference to me if an already rich person makes an extra 500,000K or not. *shrug*

The most “extra interest” I have in this so far is waiting to see if Pop load manages his entire starting lineup for it and eats the fine.

I dont think the fans will necessarily care because the winning team makes more money, but I think the players will (hopefully) care because of that.
Why do you care about any individual regular season game? It's just 1 of 82. (or let's go real existential; why do we care about any of the games period? We're all gonna die, man) There could be a little more juice in these games because of the stakes. And if not, they're going to get played either way, so I don't see the harm. Everything that eventually is seen as important started out as a thing that was just made up. The NIT used to be considered more important than the NCAA tournament, the super bowl was an exhibition between the champions of 2 leagues, etc.

I dont think the fans will necessarily care because the winning team makes more money, but I think the players will (hopefully) care because of that.
Why do you care about any individual regular season game? It's just 1 of 82. (or let's go real existential; why do we care about any of the games period? We're all gonna die, man) There could be a little more juice in these games because of the stakes. And if not, they're going to get played either way, so I don't see the harm. Everything that eventually is seen as important started out as a thing that was just made up. The NIT used to be considered more important than the NCAA tournament, the super bowl was an exhibition between the champions of 2 leagues, etc.
Clips will win this, hang a banner, and Day2 will try to tell me it’s better than a WCF run…..

Last edited:

The other thing is no one is really watching the NBA before football ends outside of people who really like it and outside of the opening day/week games and Xmas day games.

And, it's not like they can shift the start of the season and run deeper into the summer - they've run the numbers on this, it's actually worse than going toe to toe with football for the first half of the season.

This is basically house money to try something new.

That sounds like something you would do, TBH.
th

Can't remember who in here was discussing Jordan Walsh with me but he's admittedly been really good in Summer League so far. Probably a fluke, but I did not at all foresee him shooting the way he has thus far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom