RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jarveon Howard transferring to Alcorn St

Couple thoughts

1- I think Howard is extremely talented.

2- I’m not surprised. And I’m not entirely bummed out after that display last week on the TD by GS. It reeked of “me” football, worried about his stats when we scored on the play.

3- After sitting out last year because of COVID (which was his right) and the display last Saturday, I think he was buried in the doghouse. He wasn’t going to get out anytime soon.

4- It says a lot about him that he is leaving now instead of riding the year out. I get he may want to redshirt but maybe discuss with the coaches? That way he can still work out, practice with the team (scout team), and maybe work hard and get a recommendation from the staff. Now he has played 5 snaps in the past 2 years? Who is going to offer him now? He absolutely has talent but he hasn’t played meaningful snaps in over 2 years, a guy that quit on the team because things got tough. Not really someone that I think is going to get a lot of looks in the transfer market.

5- I have no ill will, wish him the best.

How do you know he didn't discuss it with the coaches?

We are certainly living in a different time.

Although I see why he may have made this decision now (traveling to FSU and playing on special team would kill his RS year), I have a hard time with the I’m gonna pack my bags a leave if things don’t go my way mentality. However, as I said, we are living in a different time.

In life many thing will not go your way. One of the best things we can teach our young people is to develop coping skills for when things don’t go as expected.

Whenever I see a student-athlete transfer from a school I wonder how the move will affect their academics. JH is beginning his fourth year at SU. These guys go to summer school every summer. Is he on track to graduate at the end of this semester? JH has been an honor roll student while at SU. If not, I hope he is considering his academics and not just football when making this decision.

In his postgame presser Dino alluded to a rule change he is hoping for. I suspect it’s a rule that players can’t enter the portal until after the season.

If you enter the transfer portal midseason, can you stay at the school for the semester or academic year on scholarship?

In some cases, if it's a locker room issue (not saying it was here, I have no idea) it might be better for the player to just take his ball and go home.

Jarveon is a good back. Remember in 2018 after every TD he got he would put the truck into gear and put the pedal to the metal? That was awesome

I mean….

He’s buried on the depth chart, Abdul Adams made a nice compliment to Tucker on Friday.

Josh Hough might be ready next season…..I mean, this is the right choice for him if I’m being 100% honest
He gains nothing by leaving now. If Tucker gets hurt, he’d be in line for a bunch of carries and could always transfer after the season (with an enhanced profile).

He gains nothing by leaving now. If Tucker gets hurt, he’d be in line for a bunch of carries and could always transfer after the season (with an enhanced profile).

Assuming there was a playing time meeting which there usually always is, the Babers' statement doesn't sound like a very good meeting. Something that maybe ended with... "there's the door" cause you can tell bridges were nuked in that statement. Sounds like Howard quit before thinking about finishing out the semester on the team.

I think about his reaction to not getting the ball on the goal line against Albany. Have to think that simmered over the week with Babers
Dino might not have liked Howard’s reaction when it was addressed, then festered further when realizing it was even a talking point by fans especially in the week before switching QB starters.(Should Shrader have given it up or kept it?) Who knows? It could even be that Howard was already contemplating the portal after sitting out last year and a TD early this year for SU would be considered a statistical plus to prove that he was back as a factor to possible suitors.

If he leaves after only playing 3-4 games, he can take 2021 as a redshirt year and maintain eligibility for 2022 and 2023.

If he plays anymore this season, he loses the 4 game redshirt.

Bummer to lose a talented kid. Not sure he had a clear path to PT.

This, ^ and this. ^

Barring injury, he was looking at RB2 (at best) for next year, after minimal run this year, and ZERO last year.
As a guy who clearly has aspirations beyond college football, he was never gonna get there if he remains here.

(and yes, he may never actually get there, but at least if he's getting carries someplace next year, he's got some semblance of a chance.)

If he leaves after only playing 3-4 games, he can take 2021 as a redshirt year and maintain eligibility for 2022 and 2023.

If he plays anymore this season, he loses the 4 game redshirt.
Pretty sure he hasn’t played 4 games yet this year.
The big winner in all this is Josh Hough. He can easily be the #2 and short yardage back next year before possibly taking over as the lead back the following year.

The big winner in all this is Josh Hough. He can easily be the #2 and short yardage back next year before possibly taking over as the lead back the following year.
Josh is a beast and I didnt realize how actually deep we are, until now remembering he was in line also… man we are deep at rb

1632765861290.gif

This^^^
I’m waiting on JH, “The Pennsylvania Punisher” to make his appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom