Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

There's been a good discussion on Orange Nation about the Lampkin situation and the issues it brings up. Paulie speculated on what rules could be applied to bring the NIL and portal situation. One caller, ("Scooter"), pointed out that pro leagues have anti-trust status and the NCAA doesn't so the NCAA's ability to make rules and make them stick in court is limited.

I said that that leaves us at the mercy of the much-lauded "invisible hand of the market" which is supposed to produce the proper result each time. You have to be able to seek your own level to make that work. I again suggested that, if we can't compete at the highest level in the market for players, we need to find a level we can compete at. Paulie and Steve understood my point but they still feel SU has to be at the highest level of college college football, whatever that is, even if it's a new level that never existed before.

So we'd better have plenty of cash.

I gotta disagree with you on Onuaku. Agree with the rest. Onuaku was on much better teams in 2009 and 2010. In 2010, Wes Johnson was an All American, Rautins was one of the best shooters, passers and zone defenders in the country, Kris Jo and Scoop were sixth men of the year, Rick was a beast. We didn’t need to run as much offense through the post so AO didn’t need to score as much. AO and Rick both had incredible footwork and post moves. I don’t think Eddie is as good yet in that regard (could be wrong but based on videos I’ve seen). But I think we absolutely need him on this team if we want to be good. Pay the man and let’s move on.

Arinze became a master at keeping players trying to drive to the basket in front of him and using his big body to stop attempts to pass or shoot over him. Maybe they can teach Lampkin to do the same thing.

Arinze became a master at keeping players trying to drive to the basket in front of him and using his big body to stop attempts to pass or shoot over him. Maybe they can teach Lampkin to do the same thing.
I have to think that’s always been the plan. Generally speaking, Red must believe he can teach all of these offensive-minded players how to defend. (Say what you want about Bell, there’s been incremental improvement in that area.)

There's been a good discussion on Orange Nation about the Lampkin situation and the issues it brings up. Paulie speculated on what rules could be applied to bring the NIL and portal situation. One caller, ("Scooter"), pointed out that pro leagues have anti-trust status and the NCAA doesn't so the NCAA's ability to make rules and make them stick in court is limited.

I said that that leaves us at the mercy of the much-lauded "invisible hand of the market" which is supposed to produce the proper result each time. You have to be able to seek your own level to make that work. I again suggested that, if we can't compete at the highest level in the market for players, we need to find a level we can compete at. Paulie and Steve understood my point but they still feel SU has to be at the highest level of college college football, whatever that is, even if it's a new level that never existed before.

So we'd better have plenty of cash.
Yea I'm of the opinion that just in the short term this is going to be par for the course with our best player in the front court and the best back court guy having alot of leverage. That means it's going to cost us more than we want or expect or think we should for 2 players. It's just gotta be ready. Not 7-8 players.

We aren't turning into Duke or Kansas where we just buy a player ie Mr Maliq Brown for double the price to not even have a roster spot.

Completely agree that no one can fairly be faulted for maximizing earning potential. Most of us would too. This "kids are not loyal anymore" talk is so stupid and short sighted honestly.

I could agree with this if kids didn't shop their offers. Don't commit before you have checked out your market value. But once you commit, that's some serious BS that you just use your offer in hand to try to get more.

Okay, and this isn't any more of an update but right now the word is that Eddie is sticking with us. He told a teammate and the coaches have told people that. I just want him up for summer session 1 to get him the heck away from Texas.
Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

It's hard to believe that that much money is exchanged without a written contract. If not somebody is going to have consequences. Even if there's a legal out, Lampkin has now shown he has no integrity so we don't need guys like that. Usually those types are "me" players and you don't win with them. There are other options to be had. Is that foreign dude transferring out of Kentucky who would average like 10 blocks per 40 minutes still available? Steer clear of Lampkin.
Having "no integrity" is quite a serious accusation, especially when made with a fraction of the relevant information. Throw it in the pile.

I’m.
We have no choice but to pay Lampkin, but I'm definitely worried more guys will do this, whether this year or next. If you're one of the handful of guys we can't afford to lose, what's stopping them from pulling the same stunt if they see Syracuse pay Lampkin. The NCAA needs to get off its ass and fix this mess now -- not later, now.
He appears to be maximizing his leverage.
That may not be effective if a program values loyalty and comittment above his presumed role in winning.
But to the extent it's purely a dollars game then it is rational behavior.

The way to avoid this is with contracts.
Pro players sign contracts.
Guys playing basketball for pay are pros.
Top level college ball is now a professionals' game.

I’m.

That may not be effective if a program values loyalty and comittment above his presumed role in winning.

I agree. Even as a lawyer I don't understand why there are not. Yes some kids may shy away from that but others, if they are really ready to commit, should be glad to maximize earnings by getting a premium pay in exchange for their commitment to do what they've already decided to. Plus coaches need this to make decisions of course.

Okay, and this isn't any more of an update but right now the word is that Eddie is sticking with us. He told a teammate and the coaches have told people that. I just want him up for summer session 1 to get him the heck away from Texas.

Thanks dash. Hoping the drama is over- also hope this doesn’t torpedo being able to add more to the roster too if only just at least one more guy who can really contribute and make a difference

This guy is almost exactly Arinze Onuaku.

Big, strong, not athletic for a division 1 basketball player, plays in the post exclusively on offense, position defense with little shotblocking, decent/good passer out of doubles, only ready to play 25 mpg.

In Onuaku's best years, he didn't quite score what Lampkin did last year, Onuaku pulled about the same rebounds, passed for far fewer assists (2.2 to .7) and committed more fouls. And I'm picking Onuaku's best stats in each category, compared to what Lampkin did last year.

Onuaku did get more blocks and steals, and shot a better percentage. But Lampkin at TCU had much better block and steal numbers. I think Colorado wanted Lampkin to avoid fouls to stay in the center of the offense. They scored 79 ppg with him.

We remember Onuaku as better than he was because his injury was so crushing... He was in the middle of the best stretch of his career on the best team of his career, and we were heading for a championship. We'll never forget that...

But Lampkin is just as good, if not better, of a player, and will be healthy and in his fifth year. Apparently he really had trouble with the altitude, and his weight got out of hand by the end of the season, and he still was critical in Colorado getting to the Sweet 16
Fair points - I am not trying to be the guy that trashes a kid because they (potentially) aren't playing for my favorite team, and perhaps I do remember Onuaku through rose colored glasses - what Orange fan doesn't.

Haven't seen enough tape on Lampkin to speak more definitively but I did watch a few games. It's not crazy to wonder if De Silva and Simpson simply improved and those guys made it easier for him than vice versa - I am no hoops savant but there's a reason Eddie isn't off to the NBA this year and those guys are. He is cashing in, it's honestly what Judah should have done.

I hope I am wrong though and Lampkin leads us to an ACC title and back to the Tourney. (if he makes it to campus)

I agree. Even as a lawyer I don't understand why there are not. Yes some kids may shy away from that but others, if they are really ready to commit, should be glad to maximize earnings by getting a premium pay in exchange for their commitment to do what they've already decided to. Plus coaches need this to make decisions of course.
Would be nice to see these NIL agreements longer term to slow down the musical chairs.

Fair points - I am not trying to be the guy that trashes a kid because they (potentially) aren't playing for my favorite team, and perhaps I do remember Onuaku through rose colored glasses - what Orange fan doesn't.

Haven't seen enough tape on Lampkin to speak more definitively but I did watch a few games. It's not crazy to wonder if De Silva and Simpson simply improved and those guys made it easier for him than vice versa - I am no hoops savant but there's a reason Eddie isn't off to the NBA this year and those guys are. He is cashing in, it's honestly what Judah should have done.

I hope I am wrong though and Lampkin leads us to an ACC title and back to the Tourney. (if he makes it to campus)
Lampkin isnt going to the NBA because hes not a lob threat, shot blocker or shooting threat?

Would be nice to see these NIL agreements longer term to slow down the musical chairs.
Not sure if you listened to the Jason Belzer interview I linked from Orange Nation, but that is exactly what is starting to happen. Programs, including Syracuse, are no longer pretending payments to athletes are anything but pay for play and it is becoming more prevalent that the major collectives are using multi-year agreements with a claw back provision or transfer fee if the player leaves.

Apologies for the duplicate link, but this is something we all should view.

Lampkin isnt going to the NBA because hes not a lob threat, shot blocker or shooting threat?
It was a rhetorical question. I don't want to make this about what he can't do, I think he's a nice player and good get (if he sticks) - we would be much worse without him. My original point was that he wasn't the main reason Colorado made the leap it did this season.

Sure we can. You just are miscasting what they were recruited for. None were supposed to be a star, or even a starter (McLeod excepted). None of them were intended to be a star. 3 of the guys were injured for most of their time here. Patterson had good reviews by Grif. Mounir was serviceable as a Jesse back up. That was to be his role. If you can’t see the potential in Carey, I don’t know what to say.
McLeod blocked, altered and generally discouraged inside shots. We were a different team when he was able to play, even with the bad foot.
Did they have scholarships?

Did they play like people who should have ACC scholarships, even as backups?

Should this team have had 3 project centers last year to backup a guy with a history of injuries?

Sorry, I’m not buying it. They weren’t even scholarship quality (with McLeod the only exception) let alone backup caliber.

Grifs “he’s doing good things” center is in the portal and can’t even find another home. That’s telling, and not in a good way, of his ability to identify and rate talent.

This post is like the exact opposite of any post currently in the football recruiting forum. Poor Red.
Frans challenge is going to be producing quality results on the field. Both have their own respective concerns, one just gets glossed over in the off-season.

I’m.

its really simple

the NCAA controls the portal

they may not control the dollar figures but they do have a say in player movement

once a portal player signs with a team they are removed from the portal - very easy solution to all of this that doesnt include contracts (though might as well go that route if possible)

its ridiculous that a player can sign with a team but still be in the portal imo

in other words - portal players get 1 portal exit and 1 signature to use, per year...not infinity (as is apparently the current rule)

Last edited:
Wouldn't this just lead to too many guys only verbaling and not signing until June/July keeping options open? Risky for the player to not get a spot they want because teams moved on from him, and also chaotic for programs not being able to finalize a roster for summer sessions, etc.

its really simple

they may not control the dollar figures but they do have a say in player movement

once a portal player signs with a team they are removed from the portal - very easy solution to all of this that doesnt include contracts (though might as well go that route if possible)

its ridiculous that a player can sign with a team but still be in the portal imo

in other words - portal players get 1 portal exit and 1 signature to use, per year...not infinity (as is apparently the current rule)

I’m not saying I agree or disagree. The reason this isn’t going to happen is because right now or previously, athletes were treated different than a normal student. If colleges start forcing students to enroll in their college if they sign a letter of acceptance or they won’t be allowed to change their mind and attend another school. Than they’ll be able to enforce that with athletes. But as long as every other college student can change their mind on what college they attend until classes start. College athletes will be allowed to as well.

Wouldn't this just lead to too many guys only verbaling and not signing until June/July keeping options open? Risky for the player to not get a spot they want because teams moved on from him, and also chaotic for programs not being able to finalize a roster for summer sessions, etc.
U just add a portal signing period to the calendar, problem solved

its really simple

I mean it's the same concept with NLIs and HS kids. HS kids can ask out of a NLI and then go to a different school. Most schools will let kids out due to negative publicity if they don't.