Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cast of characters who make up the SU sports experience

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...
There was a old guy with arthritic hands who would yell "Get your double jointed Peanuts here" at Chief's games. I remember seeing him at the Nat games too.

Last edited:
Me too. Pretty darn strange that whoever was with her let that even happen. I posted it because I remembered how much discussion it caused at the time but I can’t imagine someone actually doing this in a public setting without something being wrong.
It is sad.
But perhaps she just lost a bet.

To me Joel is the best announcer that ever lived. As kids we would be glued to the radio. He painted such a vivid picture. He really was brilliant.
I would keep score of the games sitting at the kitchen table listening on the radio with my dad.I would make a little score sheet and keep track of points free throws and fouls. I could look at box score in the paper the next day and my sheet usually matched up with box score.Joel is my all time favorite.

And a beret
To me Joel is the best announcer that ever lived. As kids we would be glued to the radio. He painted such a vivid picture. He really was brilliant.
"Climbing the invisible ladder"

The student who started the big head tradition was Pat Manley - yes a younger generation related to those great SU legacy Manley’s (Of Manley field house). He left his own special fun mark as an SU student and fan.

Rasta drummer who was in the pep band was fun too. The Blue Curtain had it’s own special place for SU basketball and the dome.

I bumped into Pat Manley at the 2013 final four in Atlanta. Bought him a beer and tried to strike up a convo.

Quiet guy. Weird dude. But loved the trend.

Rasta Drummer and his seven years of college were iconic.

Steroid cheerleader (later arrested for murder).

The skinny student that first did the big heads. Started a whole sporting trend.

Blue Curtain was Syracuse personified.
Brian Shaw gets out of prison this spring. I knew him well and considered him a friend. He was our weed dealer…He later borrowed one of my best friends cars that later got impounded because the body was transported in the trunk. Wild times that week which was during the regional when Nova, UNC, Wisconsin and NC State were in town.

Rasta drummer also worked at the Schine SU bookstore.

Last edited:
Brian Shaw gets out of prison this spring. I knew him well and considered him a friend. He was our weed dealer…He later borrowed one of my best friends cars that later got impounded because the body was transported in the trunk. Wild times that week which was during the regional when Nova, UNC, Wisconsin and NC State were in town.

Rasta drummer also worked at the Schine SU bookstore.

Having moved out of the area many years ago, I didn't remember the details on this. But it sounded intriguing so I dug up the story -- I see it was a senior cheerleader committing the murder, so sad. (although I wouldnt say he is worthy of this cast of characters list).

Last edited:
I miss the blue curtain.
hypothetically speaking I know of someone that may have stolen the BC banner from the Blue Curtain during the Clinton Administration. *Does anyone know what the university did with the Blue Curtain? It would have made great quilts to display around campus. I'd love to own me some Blue Curtain. i have a few pieces of the dome roof but blue curtain was awesome

I did a quick recap of this great thread:

anyone mention "Maniac on M Street?", Marc Albert and Sid at 44's, rainbow haired dude (mid 90s) at the dome who Otto beat the crap out, Ziggy and his weed/egg sandwich mobile?

Last edited:
hypothetically speaking I know of someone that may have stolen the BC banner from the Blue Curtain during the Clinton Administration. *Does anyone know what the university did with the Blue Curtain? It would have made great quilts to display around campus. I'd love to own me some Blue Curtain. i have a few pieces of the dome roof but blue curtain was awesome

I did a quick recap of this great thread:

anyone mention "Maniac on M Street?", Marc Albert and Sid at 44's, rainbow haired dude (mid 90s) at the dome who Otto beat the crap out, Ziggy and his weed/egg sandwich mobile?
Sid was legendary

The passing of Eli got me thinking of all the cast of characters over the years who make up the SU sports experience.

Off the top of my head:

-Dome Ranger (prior years)
-Dome Knitter (prior years)
-Older gentleman with the orange blazer who used to sit next to the visiting bench for years. I was never quite clear what he did, but he always seemed nice.
-Eli (RIP)
-Loud religious guy with the bullhorn
-Lady who has worked at Varsity Pizza forever
-Guy who has sold programs in the Dome in the Eagles McNabb jersey for years (drawing a blank on his name)
-Scalper on the corner of Marshall and Crouse who has been there for every SU game that I can remember
-Expo$edoe (local rapper who visits football tailgates to tell you about his new album)
-Recently, Adam Weitsman

There has to be many more...
Anyone remember "Super Bill?" Early years of the Dome, guy dressed up like a Superhero in orange or BLue spandex with a "B" on the front. Dome Ranger overtook him, a lot of people tried to make the Dome theirs at the start.

Anyone remember "Super Bill?" Early years of the Dome, guy dressed up like a Superhero in orange or BLue spandex with a "B" on the front. Dome Ranger overtook him, a lot of people tried to make the Dome theirs at the start.
Poor Dome Eddie
The Rasta basketball pep band drummer
Gumby

As soon as I started reading this thread this is immediately who I thought of. I grew up going to SU games with my grandfather who was an alum. He liked his routine, we always got to games super early, parked at Skytop, entered the same door, ate Burger King. And we always bought a program from Joe who always greeted my grandfather by name, and who my grandfather always referred to as Joseph. He is as much a permanent part of my dome memories as McNabb to Brominski.

I took my mom to a game this year and even she asked about Joe although we didn’t see him.

I’d kill to go to just one more of those games with my grandpa. I’m so glad he lived to see 2003.

As soon as I started reading this thread this is immediately who I thought of. I grew up going to SU games with my grandfather who was an alum. He liked his routine, we always got to games super early, parked at Skytop, entered the same door, ate Burger King. And we always bought a program from Joe who always greeted my grandfather by name, and who my grandfather always referred to as Joseph. He is as much a permanent part of my dome memories as McNabb to Brominski.

I took my mom to a game this year and even she asked about Joe although we didn’t see him.

I’d kill to go to just one more of those games with my grandpa. I’m so glad he lived to see 2003.
Used to watch all the games with my grandpa too, he passed in 05 and glad he got to see the win.

Whenever I went to a game with my mom she’d comment that she sold him furniture when she worked at Dunk N Bright.

We saw hawker Joe Godley at lacrosse Final Four in Philly and also at Sugar Bowl in 1988. That guy was/is everywhere.

I remember seeing him at the Sugar Bowl, I was like "we bring our own program guys?"

I saw him in Atlanta at a bar before the basketball final 4 game in 2013. Told me it was his vacation.

This is how he pitched his beer back in the day:

COOOLLLLDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER! CCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD BEER!

Get your COOOLLLLDDDD BEER!
Memory I have a 10 year old kid was him selling cold beer for the parking lot as fans we’re leaving mccarthur stadium as a chiefs game wrapped up….oh the 80’s

Too busy watching this character. Kristin Doney, Syracuse Cheerleading Hall of Famer.
IMG_6749.jpeg

I believe this is him too. Special man.