FSU vs The ACC | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Agreed. But there's about 7states that are driving all of this nonsense, and Bubba is accepted in 4 or 5 of them.

When I lived in the panhandle, one of my co-workers said "hey Bubba, what's up" and I cracked up. She then asked me what was so funny. I had to explain it to her and she still didn't see the humor quite the way that I saw it...

Mediation only means they have to try to talk. FSU has no resources to talk about settlement. Until FSU has a pile of cash, their talk means nothing.

Even a court cannot force the ACC to accept an horrible settlement because FSU cannot manage money.

Further, FSU will not likely make up the difference in a new conference. It is better for FSU to shut their AD's mouth and sit tight until the ACC GOR expires. Besides, by then the "haves" in the SEC will be clamoring for more bottom feeders or splitting up in one manner or another as there are more haves than have-nots.

The FSU AD is very short sighted and he expects the ACC to cave. There is no need for the ACC to cave.
Fair enough.
And I'm not a lawyer, didn't even play one on TV...but if it's mandatory arbitration, aren't they obligated to accept whatever decision is reached?
That's what generally happens in these cases- most of the time the courts just want the case closed. And if that means appointing an arbitrator to impose a binding agreement, then so be it...issue's off the docket.
That's how BC settled with the OBE, and a number of other cases in conferences where members sued. Once the option of court-ordered arbitration entered the equation, that was all she wrote. The greedy basturds will get their release...eventually. Only thing left are the details. JMHO

Last edited:
Fair enough.
And I'm not a lawyer, didn't even play one on TV...but if it's mandatory arbitration, aren't they obligated to accept whatever decision is reached?
That's what generally happens in these cases- most of the time the courts just want the case closed. And if that means appointing an arbitrator to impose a binding agreement, then so be it...issue's off the docket.
That's how BC settled with the OBE, and a number of other cases in conferences where members sued. Once the option of court-ordered arbitration entered the equation, that was all she wrote. The greedy basturds will get their release...eventually. Only thing left are the details. JMHO

Mediation and arbitration are two very distinct concepts. Mediation, which is ordered by the court is most of the cases I am involved in, is bringing in a neutral whose job is not to determine which party is right or wrong, but to push the parties compromise their differences. The most successful mediations have one party leave believing it has given up too much and the other party leaving believing it has accepted too little.

Arbitrations, on the other hand, are about who is right and who is wrong. It is a mini-trial in which the arbitrator or arbitrators hear testimony and review evidence before reaching a decision.

Mediation only means they have to try to talk. FSU has no resources to talk about settlement. Until FSU has a pile of cash, their talk means nothing.

Even a court cannot force the ACC to accept an horrible settlement because FSU cannot manage money.

Further, FSU will not likely make up the difference in a new conference. It is better for FSU to shut their AD's mouth and sit tight until the ACC GOR expires. Besides, by then the "haves" in the SEC will be clamoring for more bottom feeders or splitting up in one manner or another as there are more haves than have-nots.

The FSU AD is very short sighted and he expects the ACC to cave. There is no need for the ACC to cave.
ESPN won’t be caving either, so there’s that as well. FSU can pound sand.

Mediation and arbitration are two very distinct concepts. Mediation, which is ordered by the court is most of the cases I am involved in, is bringing in a neutral whose job is not to determine which party is right or wrong, but to push the parties compromise their differences. The most successful mediations have one party leave believing it has given up too much and the other party leaving believing it has accepted too little.

Arbitrations, on the other hand, are about who is right and who is wrong. It is a mini-trial in which the arbitrator or arbitrators hear testimony and review evidence before reaching a decision.
Got it
Are either or both of those binding?
IOW- if the court orders the decision to be binding, then is it case closed? And all that's left is to negotiate terms, but the question of whether the case will settle has been rendered moot. Am I missing something in that interpretation?

Fair enough.
Your are correct up to the point that the parties have to reach an agreement. The parties may reach an impasse and then go back to court.

As FSU has no cash with which to make a deal, the ACC will go through the motions but will not settle for a bag of peanuts.

Also, the issue of personal jurisdiction remains open. If FSU cannot establish the court's personal jurisdiction over the ACC, the mediation point is moot.

And they think it is a good idea to go through with this at the moment

Nobody said they had any intelligence in the pan handle. Stupid does as stupid does.

FSU/Clemson/UNC are complaining about revenues. I wonder if a third conference could be made out of the Big 12/ACC that could get a much larger media contract? Maybe you have mostly the old Pac 12 and Big 12 schools in the West and ACC schools in the East. Have 22 schools plus Notre Dame.

West:
Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., Texas Tech, Iowa St,

East:
North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt

Mostly large state schools with Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones. Good basketball and football. Lots of rivalry games like FSU/Miami, WVU/Pitt, Virginia/VT, Arizona/Arizona St., Stanford/Cal, Duke/UNC, Kansas/Kansas St., ...

Agree. My feeling is that anyone who hires a man named Bubba for anything other than making BBQ or possibly playing DL is going to regret that hire.
You left out LB, 3rd base, football and baseball coach, police officer, fireman, assistant director of municipal sewage, director of youth sports, plumber, HVAC guy, electrician, etc.

{snip}

This is coming as the eventual endgame. They won't have to throw anybody out (because they don't have the votes to do so), they'll just make it nearly impossible for them to stay.

Got it
Are either or both of those binding?
IOW- if the court orders the decision to be binding, then is it case closed? And all that's left is to negotiate terms, but the question of whether the case will settle has been rendered moot. Am I missing something in that interpretation?
Mediation is never binding. It's nothing more than negotiating settlement, except the parties jointly choose a neutral person (sometimes a lawyer, sometimes a retired Judge, sometimes something else) to help the parties settle. The mediator speaks to everyone together, each side can present their arguments if they want (sometimes it's better not to argue and just focus on resolution), and then breaks the parties into separate rooms and speaks to them separately, and then goes back and forth. The neutral gives his/her opinions and usually does it in a way to make each side give up a little more than they wanted for the sake of arriving at a settlement. There's absolutely no obligation to settle. Everything is confidential and not admissible evidence. No decisions are made by the mediator. And you can end it whenever you want. One time I had a mediation last 45 seconds -- needless to say, it didn't settle. Others have lasted several days.

Arbitration is binding, but you either sue in court or in arbitration. It's an alternative to lawsuits in court. And the final arbitration award, once confirmed, has the same effect as a court order/decision and eventually judgment. So if it's in court, it's not going to be arbitrated unless there's a contractual obligation to arbitrate and one party files a motion, in which case the court case is dismissed or stayed and it goes to arbitration.

I was listening to Xm about Ol miss fb and it led to big athletic construction projects that they are putting on hold with so much up in the air right now.

anybody that has been to Doak stadium says it sucks. One of the worst in the ACC
The exterior looks great
The inside structure is 70s era erector set. Very ugly.
Concessions and bathrooms are below ACC standards
Lighting, Video Board and Sound System are VG.
Seating is meh

anybody that has been to Doak stadium says it sucks. One of the worst in the ACC
Doak Campbell Stadium is where FSU plays., which is low end but pretty decent. It is being renovated for next season. I think FSU is borrowing $330 million or so to make that happen.

SMU plays at Gerald Ford Stadium. This pictures I have seen are not very impressive. Small, very low end. Not even as nice as Duke or Wake or BC.

It will be the worst football facility in the ACC by a large margin. That said, I know they are renovating it and hopefully it will make a big difference. It looks like they will be filling in the empty end zone with the renovation and installing individual seats for at least of some the new stands. Don't think it affects the seating capacity much, which will still be in the 32K range.

Doak Campbell Stadium is where FSU plays., which is low end but pretty decent. It is being renovated for next season. I think FSU is borrowing $330 million or so to make that happen.

SMU plays at Gerald Ford Stadium. This pictures I have seen are not very impressive. Small, very low end. Not even as nice as Duke or Wake or BC.

It will be the worst football facility in the ACC by a large margin. That said, I know they are renovating it and hopefully it will make a big difference. It looks like they will be filling in the empty end zone with the renovation and installing individual seats for at least of some the new stands. Don't think it affects the seating capacity much, which will still be in the 32K range.

What looks worse is the tailgating options at Gerald Ford!!

Maybe they should just play at a local high school stadium?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom