FSU vs The ACC | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Brett McMurphy is trash. He has great sources with certain schools and BOTs and league offices. But he’s simply a pot stirrer that thrives on all this nonsense and carries water for certain powerful people and schools. The Magnificent Seven”? Give me a break, you ahole. That’s a media constructed fiction.

Brett McMurphy is trash. He has great sources with certain schools and BOTs and league offices. But he’s simply a pot stirrer that thrives on all this nonsense and carries water for certain powerful people and schools. The Magnificent Seven”? Give me a break, you ahole. That’s a media constructed fiction.
Brett McMurphy is the writer who decided to call the seven ACC schools allegedly involved in this the ‘Magnificent Seven;’. He is trying to keep his moronic term alive.

And for that, he is ‘The Remarkable Idiot’. Well done Brett.

I didn't think it sucked. The score did. I think it was the hangman game that I went to.
It's not a bad stadium, it's just old. The under carriage reminds me of MacArthur stadium so I think it's a nice throwback.

My kids apartment was about 100 yards away so great parking. She's moving this year. I save about 10K in rent, but I lose my parking. Kids.

Doak Campbell Stadium is where FSU plays., which is low end but pretty decent. It is being renovated for next season. I think FSU is borrowing $330 million or so to make that happen.

SMU plays at Gerald Ford Stadium. This pictures I have seen are not very impressive. Small, very low end. Not even as nice as Duke or Wake or BC.

It will be the worst football facility in the ACC by a large margin. That said, I know they are renovating it and hopefully it will make a big difference. It looks like they will be filling in the empty end zone with the renovation and installing individual seats for at least of some the new stands. Don't think it affects the seating capacity much, which will still be in the 32K range.

I could easily be wrong but, I think I read that now that they're in the ACC they'll look to expanding the seating capacity. 32K was fine while they were in the AAC, but they know they need to expand in the ACC.

Mediation is never binding. It's nothing more than negotiating settlement, except the parties jointly choose a neutral person (sometimes a lawyer, sometimes a retired Judge, sometimes something else) to help the parties settle. The mediator speaks to everyone together, each side can present their arguments if they want (sometimes it's better not to argue and just focus on resolution), and then breaks the parties into separate rooms and speaks to them separately, and then goes back and forth. The neutral gives his/her opinions and usually does it in a way to make each side give up a little more than they wanted for the sake of arriving at a settlement. There's absolutely no obligation to settle. Everything is confidential and not admissible evidence. No decisions are made by the mediator. And you can end it whenever you want. One time I had a mediation last 45 seconds -- needless to say, it didn't settle. Others have lasted several days.

Arbitration is binding, but you either sue in court or in arbitration. It's an alternative to lawsuits in court. And the final arbitration award, once confirmed, has the same effect as a court order/decision and eventually judgment. So if it's in court, it's not going to be arbitrated unless there's a contractual obligation to arbitrate and one party files a motion, in which case the court case is dismissed or stayed and it goes to arbitration.

Thanks for the clarification, Sbucketball. This really clears up any misconceptions I might've had.

Note: Reading between the lines in the MCMurphy article, maybe FSU finally got the memo.

" Meanwhile, Florida State’s Board of Trustees previously said they wanted an exit plan from the ACC by August 2024. Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said this week “that’s a legal proceeding that I can’t cover.”
Alford was asked how long an exit from the league might take.

If you go back to the president, myself, we’ve never come out and said, ‘Hey, we want to leave the conference,’ ” Alford said. “We have not notified the league we are leaving.”

Actually, they have".

Reality is starting to hit and they realize the ACC is not gonna fold and just give them what they want. Arrogant prlcks!

It's not a bad stadium, it's just old. The under carriage reminds me of MacArthur stadium so I think it's a nice throwback.

My kids apartment was about 100 yards away so great parking. She's moving this year. I save about 10K in rent, but I lose my parking. Kids.
I think it's forgotten how old most college stadiums are. Many have been renovated numerous times but are still old. The Dome is quite a but younger than many of them.

ACC is dead once members sue others. The sausage making is going to drag it out but FSU and Clemson and prob UNC/UVA are gone. Bid/Ask is the q and where the leftovers go.

I could easily be wrong but, I think I read that now that they're in the ACC they'll look to expanding the seating capacity. 32K was fine while they were in the AAC, but they know they need to expand in the ACC.
I think they can easily go as high as 45K. The endzone project is expected to increase capacity but it sounded like only 1 or 2K

I expect we'll know more by September

ACC is dead once members sue others. The sausage making is going to drag it out but FSU and Clemson and prob UNC/UVA are gone. Bid/Ask is the q and where the leftovers go.
If UNC/UVA bolt the league is officially toast.

When FSU and Clemson leave there will be a fight over how many and where are new teams added. There is possibility they might stand pat but schools like USF, SDSU, Yukon and Tulane all would make concessions to come in.

BL: the ACC and B12 need to work together.

The ACC having the population and the ACCN is a strong incentive to figure out things. We saw how the Pac12 did it...don't do that.

Last edited:
If UNC/UVA bolt the league is officially toast.

When FSU and Clemson leave there will be a fight over how many and where are new teams added. There is possibility they might stand pat but schools like USF, SDSU, Yukon and Tulane all would make concessions to come in.

BL: the ACC and B12 need to work together.

The ACC having the population and the ACCN is a strong incentive to figure out things. We saw how the Pac12 did it...don't do that.
UNC is the snake in the grass here. No way they aren't plotting under the radar to get out. I truly believe they are the only school that the Big or SEC wants - they'll take others if it is prudent but they want UNC, and I think UNC wants them, just figuring out how to do it while saving face.

Personally I think it’s time to take a step back from the imminent disaster scenarios until we get closer to the next generation of media contracts. FSU certainly would bolt if they financially could and had a landing spot. Former isn’t there and latter is questionable. Clemson is being smart IMHO and making sure they have a full understanding of their options if things do start to crumble. UNC story ready like there is evidence of some financial malfeasance on the part of a Bubba more due to extravagant spending during challenging times.

David Hale had some great points in a recent pod with Brent Axe. It wouldn’t make sense for FSU to pay $300MM plus only to see a super league emerge in five years and conference structure for football break down in favor of looser regional competition.

Worth a listen.

Personally I think it’s time to take a step back from the imminent disaster scenarios until we get closer to the next generation of media contracts. FSU certainly would bolt if they financially could and had a landing spot. Former isn’t there and latter is questionable. Clemson is being smart IMHO and making sure they have a full understanding of their options if things do start to crumble. UNC story ready like there is evidence of some financial malfeasance on the part of a Bubba more due to extravagant spending during challenging times.

David Hale had some great points in a recent pod with Brent Axe. It wouldn’t make sense for FSU to pay $300MM plus only to see a super league emerge in five years and conference structure for football break down in favor of looser regional competition.

Worth a listen.
agree, I keep asking where everyone is going. There are no good answers. Until there are seismic shifts in the college football landscape, I'm not worried. we'll know it when it happens.

UNC is the snake in the grass here. No way they aren't plotting under the radar to get out. I truly believe they are the only school that the Big or SEC wants - they'll take others if it is prudent but they want UNC, and I think UNC wants them, just figuring out how to do it while saving face.

Maybe the SEC but the B18 I think is interested in adding the South to its footprint. That means more than just UNC.

And then there is Notre Dame. The SEC is still kind of a Southeastern footprint. Would they expand that footprint in order to get Notre Dame? You know ESPN would be for this. That puts the Northeast and California in play for the SEC. So are they wiling to become a national conference? Especially if the B18 is going national.

Is UConn going to join the ACC and will the ACC drop Syracuse? Asking for some friends that posted this in circa 2017…. I’ll hang up and listen
Yes, that's exactly what is going to happen.

UNC runs the ACC...

Do you want to give that up?

agree, I keep asking where everyone is going. There are no good answers. Until there are seismic shifts in the college football landscape, I'm not worried. we'll know it when it happens.
I worry some but it is what it is...

I figure at worse we'll be in some tweener league.

I like FB more than BB so I'm not keen on a Big East and FB indy thing as our nuclear option.

But the SEC and B1G would have to share.

All the work they did conquering Asia to get 7 extra armies before every Risk turn! You want them to give it up?
Oh, for sure. They'd have to be advantaged, no doubt, for it to work. I've always been skeptical, but less so now than I used to be. There is an extraordinary amount of money available.

I worry some but it is what it is...

I figure at worse we'll be in some tweener league.

I like FB more than BB so I'm not keen on a Big East and FB indy thing as our nuclear option.
We can’t rely on state taxpayers to underwrite a $52MM athletic department deficit. Despite the nostalgia, this is not a viable route for a small, private program. Not sustainable for UConn either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom