Class of 2019 - Ken Evans Jr. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Ken Evans Jr.

I’d absolutely take him and figure out how you roll at point.

I’d like to see game action of him. We just had a ball dominant point. Really don’t want that again this year.

Could see JJ getting squeezed a bit. Carlos would get significant minutes.

Choppa and Westry could be affected too.

At the end it talks about how he gets a lot of his points running the pick and roll. I'd say that's good news for what we want from him.

I can see why we would have wanted Leffew more but this guy is probably a better player in a vacuum and they check a lot of the same boxes. You can see why SU would offer Leffew what they thought was fair but not go beyond budget for him. There are clearly other fish in the sea.

Completely agree, from a budget standpoint.

Why did the breakdown of Leffew's game a couple of weeks ago, I mean I think he was a good Target but it just goes to show that you don't need it swept up and bidding wars some guys out there potentially attainable at the same price point.

It's frustrating for the fanbase to see things unfold unfavorably, like they did with Dakota. But if we land an alternative like Evans, it shows how SMART our coaches were not to get swept up in bidding fever.

Why did the breakdown of Leffew's game a couple of weeks ago, I mean I think he was a good Target but it just goes to show that you don't need it swept up and bidding wars some guys out there potentially attainable at the same price point.

It's frustrating for the fanbase to see things unfold unfavorably, like they did with Dakota. But if we land an alternative like Evans, it shows how SMART our coaches were not to get swept up in bidding fever.
For sure.

And I think people are rightly focused on Red working within a budget in the most conventional way possible, which is we have X to spend and you need to spread X around as juditously as possible, money ball syle.

However, I think spending juditiously actually can help or hurt the actual size of future budgets. If Red were to over spend, particularly on a habitual basis, after asking for donors to poney up a bit more, that creates a bad track record of treating their money poorly. If the donors poney up a few different times and feel that Red is not getting good value, then the future asks could get rejected.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that every time we ask for money, that player has to take us to a final four, but relative to what the donor feels like they are giving they would like to see commensurate talent/production.

When a player comes across that Red pounds the table on (like Fran presumably did for McCord), he is much more likely to get that extra zero, when the previous dollars were spent (and not spent) wisely.

So spending smart can actually INCREASE the size of the pie (not just spending the pie smarter)

Last edited:
For sure.

And I think people are rightly focused on Red working within a budget in the most conventional way possible, which is we have X to spend and you need to spread X around as juditously as possible, money ball syle.

However, I think spending juditiously actually can help or hurt the actual size of future budgets. If Red were to over spend, particularly on a habitual basis, after asking for donors to poney up a bit more. If the donors poney up a few different times and feel that Red is not getting good value, then the future asks could go poorly.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that every time we ask for money, that player has to take us to a final four, but relative to what the donor feels like they are giving they would like to see commensurate talend/production.

When a player comes across that Red pounds the table on (like Fran presumably did for McCord), he is much more likely to get that extra zero, when the previous dollars were spent (and not spent) wisely.

So spending smart can actually INCREASE the size of the pie (not just spending the pie smarter)
Great post.

For sure.

However, I think spending juditiously actually can help or hurt the actual size of future budgets. If Red were to over spend, particularly on a habitual basis, after asking for donors to poney up a bit more, that creates a bad track record of treating their money poorly. If the donors poney up a few different times and feel that Red is not getting good value, then the future asks could get rejected.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that every time we ask for money, that player has to take us to a final four, but relative to what the donor feels like they are giving they would like to see commensurate talent/production.

It feels similar to how the CBO would allocate funds to a specific government agency. You have to spend as close to the budget as possible without going over, as success on a smaller budget could lead to the thought of "well they got the job done with less funding than expected, I guess they don't need as much as we thought."

Or i'm five drinks deep before my Capitals get swept and completely off base.

Don't see this to be true.
Me either. If anything I wonder if JJ comes off the bench as the 6th man and you go Chance, Evans, Bell at 1-3. Or if JJ can become a better pg he starts at the 1. Would be awesome to land this kid. Seems better than Leffew

For sure.

This is a really great post that I hadn’t considered.

Think we’re too hung up on a “true point guard” - bring the best talent in and let it figure itself out.

This kid looks legit and here's hoping Red has his tophat off is is ready to start pulling rabbits...

Here's also hoping Carlos is actually good enough to push Westery and/or Starling for the starting PG role and can perform at a P5 level.

I am not sold that JJ can do the PG job adequately and Westery is a total unknown post-injury, so we are rolling dice if it's between those 3.

I’d absolutely take him and figure out how you roll at point.

I’d like to see game action of him. We just had a ball dominant point. Really don’t want that again this year.

Could see JJ getting squeezed a bit. Carlos would get significant minutes.

Choppa and Westry could be affected too.
There could be a few three guard lineups with Bell and Lampkin when Freeman is on the bench.

Having Westry, Starling and Evans might make up for Bell's rebounding weakness against many lineups.

We certainly wouldn't be conspicuously light/short, even in the ACC

Last edited:
Kenneth Branagh?
If he commits, I’m wearing an Orange & Blue “You Are Kenough” tie-dye shirt to Orange Madness.

IMG_0122.jpeg

We aren't desperate. No need to Chase a kid like Peppe. Plus Reds trying to build a locker room that isn't a psych ward. Get kids that want to be here for more than just a paycheck

Kids step back is MEAN
I’d love to add him now that Dakota turned us down, but he’s from Mississippi and I worry he’ll probably ultimately stay in the south.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom