Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Take Illinois as an an example- this year played without a PG. Their best passer was a 6-6 sf that averaged 3.9 apg. Loaded with talent and guys who shared the ball. Had a really good year.

They had much better talent than we would have. Much.

I did not like what I saw of JJ at the point last year. Handle was too loose for my taste and not strong enough with the ball, but we’ll see if he gets better with more minutes at the position.
I agree, but I think that’ll be our best shot this year.

Who's negative? Just because I'm not doing cartwheels doesn't mean its negative.

after the Leffew debacle, you’d think folks would be smarter about this.

This is not a “positive”

We don’t have him and we aren’t even publically linked to him.

This is a message board thread discussing how he’d fit on our team. Nothing more.

They had much better talent than we would have. Much.

Better talent sure. Much better? - it’s not that massive of a gap. We aren’t throwing out an A10 roster here if you bring in a kid like Evans along with what we have. Illinois was an experienced team with a first round pick in Shannon and a solid late second round guy in Hawkins but more importantly an old team with tons of experience to go with talent and guys who share the ball. We have some solid talent - bring in a guy like Evans and the talent level is solid. Maybe even more so than had Leffew come on board.

Better talent sure. Much better? - it’s not that massive of a gap. We aren’t throwing out an A10 roster here if you bring in a kid like Evans along with what we have. Illinois was an experienced team with a first round pick in Shannon and a solid late second round guy in Hawkins but more importantly an old team with tons of experience to go with talent and guys who share the ball. We have some solid talent - bring in a guy like Evans and the talent level is solid. Maybe even more so than had Leffew come on board.

IMO much better. Shannon is worth our entire 5 man back court.

They were a 3 seed. We’re not close even with Evans

IMO much better. Shannon is worth our entire 5 man back court.

They were a 3 seed. We’re not close even with Evans

Agree to disagree- I just don’t think the quality is there anywhere to make that claim. Shannon is really good but they were simply an experienced older team. UConn smoked them in the tourney.

They beat no one in their non conf, had an easy run to the elite 8 only beating a B12 team and did their thing in the Big without beating Purdue.

I’m not trying to be overly positive on next years roster with a kid like Evans but Illinois was not rolling out an NBA prospect laden roster last year.

En lieu of a pure PG, having guys that know how to play, are tough and are willing passers is a good move. We could win a lot of games with the roster we have (including Evan’s hopefully) if they play the right way and play with toughness and for eachother.

Totally agree here.

Just because we don't have a pure PG doesn't mean the basketball IQ to pick up on what the defense gives you and the strengths of your teammates isn't there.

Just a basic play; Imagine, Lampkin has position/ an advantage on his man and you can just toss it into him and he can go to work in the post. (Feel like we could have utilized Jesse more in this way too, but "we haven't fed the post in 10 years", OR was it more because teammates wouldn't feed him?)
hmm
Or he draws a double team while, guys are moving on the perimeter.
Dish out to Bell, Starling, Donnie, Chance?, Cuffe for an open look or to create something off the dribble.

I feel like a lot of people may be undervaluing Lampkin in the post, which will open up a lot for the rest of the offense.

Some players might need work on moving off the ball/shooting off the dribble/PNR, or on the defensive end, but that's what practice/position work/ buying into Red's vision is for.

And obviously yes, in an ideal world, having a pure PG, and another high percentage 3 pt shooter and ball handler at SF would be nice..

Totally agree here.

Just because we don't have a pure PG doesn't mean the basketball IQ to pick up on what the defense gives you and the strengths of your teammates isn't there.

Just a basic play; Imagine, Lampkin has position/ an advantage on his man and you can just toss it into him and he can go to work in the post. (Feel like we could have utilized Jesse more in this way too, but "we haven't fed the post in 10 years", OR was it more because teammates wouldn't feed him?)
hmm
Or he draws a double team while, guys are moving on the perimeter.
Dish out to Bell, Starling, Donnie, Chance?, Cuffe for an open look or to create something off the dribble.

I feel like a lot of people may be undervaluing Lampkin in the post, which will open up a lot for the rest of the offense.

Some players might need work on moving off the ball/shooting off the dribble/PNR, or on the defensive end, but that's what practice/position work/ buying into Red's vision is for.

And obviously yes, in an ideal world, having a pure PG, and another high percentage 3 pt shooter and ball handler at SF would be nice..
ALL players need to buy in. That is THE key. ALL the players.

Take Illinois as an an example- this year played without a PG. Their best passer was a 6-6 sf that averaged 3.9 apg. Loaded with talent and guys who shared the ball. Had a really good year.
I’ll take “loaded with talent and guys who shared the ball” if it’s a choice between that and a quality PG. But the problem we’re currently facing right now is that we really don’t have either.

Agree to disagree- I just don’t think the quality is there anywhere to make that claim. Shannon is really good but they were simply an experienced older team. UConn smoked them in the tourney.

They beat no one in their non conf, had an easy run to the elite 8 only beating a B12 team and did their thing in the Big without beating Purdue.

I’m not trying to be overly positive on next years roster with a kid like Evans but Illinois was not rolling out an NBA prospect laden roster last year.

I’d give my left toe for an easy run to the elite 8. I get your point though. Regardless, Carlos IS a PG so it’s not like we wouldn’t have one on the team

Evan’s played well against HM this year. The game he struggled was against was Houston, but a lot of HM players struggle against them.

The shooting numbers are encouraging but part of his high production vs HM is just from being the best player on a bad team.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, just seems like a reach to say he’s significantly better than a proven HM player based off a 6 min highlight video.

I’ll take “loaded with talent and guys who shared the ball” if it’s a choice between that and a quality PG. But the problem we’re currently facing right now is that we really don’t have either.

I’d say in the context of cbb we are doing ok in the talent conversation as well if you add Evans to what we already have. That talent showing up and buying in every night is more a question than what’s on the team.

I’d give my left toe for an easy run to the elite 8. I get your point though. Regardless, Carlos IS a PG so it’s not like we wouldn’t have one on the team

Yeah I’m with ya and for sure he is. Plus if Evans came and squeezed Bell and JJ a bit because we function better with Carlos running things then works for me.

The shooting numbers are encouraging but part of his high production vs HM is just from being the best player on a bad team.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, just seems like a reach to say he’s significantly better than a proven HM player based off a 6 min highlight video.
I’d expect him to be less efficient “just being the best player on a bad team” kind of like Leffew was because it should be tougher for those guys to score against HM.

I know everyone’s grumpy as hell here lately, but I know for a fact Red isn’t just throwing random offers out there to guys who just put up big numbers in lower conferences. These guys are watching tape to see who can play in the ACC and trying to determine who the best fit is.

I’d expect him to be less efficient “just being the best player on a bad team” kind of like Leffew was because it should be tougher for those guys to score against HM.

I know everyone’s grumpy as hell here lately, but I know for a fact Red isn’t just throwing random offers out there to guys who just put up big numbers in lower conferences. These guys are watching tape to see who can play in the ACC and trying to determine who the best fit is.
My point was it’s a reach to say Evans Jr is better than JJ Starling, not that Evans Jr a bad player.

I’d say in the context of cbb we are doing ok in the talent conversation as well if you add Evans to what we already have. That talent showing up and buying in every night is more a question than what’s on the team.
I look at the current team based on who is currently on the roster or is committed/signed to play next year. I’d gladly take Evans but right now he’s not committed to us. I can only judge based on what is known.

I look at the current team based on who is currently on the roster or is committed/signed to play next year. I’d gladly take Evans but right now he’s not committed to us. I can only judge based on what is known.

Sure but even before Evans it’s hardly an empty cupboard.

Evan’s played well against HM this year. The game he struggled was against was Houston, but a lot of HM players struggle against them.

He seems like he couldn't miss from the outside but those inside the arc stats are concerning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom