This is why 99% of kids | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

NOBODY is FORCED to play college football or any other sport.
So if a player doesn't have the grades to get into college, and they are an elite athlete, how can they go to the NFL?

I doubt there are any NBA busts that wish they stayed in college. They made their money.

On the other hand, how many kids regret staying an extra year and blew their chance at earning a payday. Or how many kids stock dropped because they weren't eligible to be drafted. Or how many kids became academically ineligible because they just weren't a fit for college, and were never seen again?
You have it backwards my man. Way backwards.

I doubt there are any NBA busts that wish they stayed in college. They made their money.

On the other hand, how many kids regret staying an extra year and blew their chance at earning a payday. Or how many kids stock dropped because they weren't eligible to be drafted. Or how many kids became academically ineligible because they just weren't a fit for college, and were never seen again?
To me NBA Busts are: any player who left college early for the NBA and never made a squad or only lasted for 2 years or less.

Wow, so inciteful. Instead of dismissing the analysis that reflects current day reality, and the equities and interests all around for all parties, why don’t you offer something of substance.
See my post from 10:09am and 10:36am.

You just don't care.

To me NBA Busts are: any player who left college early for the NBA and never made a squad or only lasted for 2 years or less.
But what if they stayed in school, flaws in their game were exposed, and they ended up not being drafted at all? What if "two years" was actually their ceiling and they capitalized on it at the perfect time, and made say 500k-$1 million. It's a very tricky thing to quantify. IMO, the benefit of staying in school to develop by college sports fans is largely exaggerated.

So if a player doesn't have the grades to get into college, and they are an elite athlete, how can they go to the NFL?
There is no right to play in the NFL and being an elite athlete doesn’t guarantee a roster spot in the NFL.

And you can be an elite athlete, go to college, get drafted and still face amazing odds to make an WNBA team but there is no right to make the WNBA or any other pro league.

There is no right to play in the NFL and being an elite athlete doesn’t guarantee a roster spot in the NFL.
What does this even mean? No one who is draftable is looking for handouts. You realize how hard you have to work from age like 10+ to even get a sniff of high level college ball, let alone the NFL?

What does this even mean? No one who is draftable is looking for handouts. You realize how hard you have to work from age like 10+ to even get a sniff of high level college ball, let alone the NFL?
Read what I was responding to before going off into left field

Chris McCullough made 4 MILLION in the NBA. If he stayed another year, odds he would have got drafted at all would have gone down quite a bit

Chris McCullough made 4 MILLION in the NBA. If he stayed another year, odds he would have got drafted at all would have gone down quite a bit
And for every Chris McCullough, there are many others - in fact, 100s of others - who graduated with their degree, weren't drafted, and went on to have very successful careers all due to the opportunity they were given to get an education.

McCullough is the 0.01%. That's the point that nobody wants to consider anymore, and it is ridiculous, IMO.

And for every Chris McCullough, there are many others - in fact, 100s of others - who graduated with their degree, weren't drafted, and went on to have very successful careers all due to the opportunity they were given to get an education.

McCullough is the 0.01%. That's the point that nobody wants to consider anymore, and it is ridiculous, IMO.
You have no idea if those that graduated with a degree did anything that had to do with their degree program, and that is the point. Most people that aren't athletes are in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree.

Do you work in the industry that corresponds with your college degree?

And you can be an elite athlete, go to college, get drafted and still face amazing odds to make an WNBA team but there is no right to make the WNBA or any other pro league.
But why do you have to go to college to play in the NFL? You don't have to get a degree in football, do you?

Elite athletes should have a path to the pros that doesn't disqualify them for not being book smart or testing well.

NOBODY is FORCED to play college football or any other sport.
But two things can be true at once. (There are so many logical fallacies in this thread it's making my head spin).

1. Yes, of course nobody is forced to play college sports. No one would ever disagree with that.
2. Because #1 is true, that doesn't mean that the college sports landscape, especially college football, hasn't operated like a cartel for most of it's history.

If you are an elite talent in college sports, up until recently, the amount of compensation you received via tuition, room/board, and other athlete perks was not close to commensurate with the value that you personally created for that institution. Now the playing field has been leveled somewhat.

You have no idea if those that graduated with a degree did anything that had to do with their degree program, and that is the point. Most people that aren't athletes are in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree.

LOL that is a shift in the narrative.

Who cares? Getting an education is more than just what the degree and area of study is. You full-well know that, and so does anyone who got into and graduated from a college.

Networks, relationship building, learning about yourself, broadening your horizons, the list of benefits go on. And you may not be able to quantify them with an NIL price, but the opportunity should not be A) taken for granted and B) not valued at all.

LOL that is a shift in the narrative.

Who cares? Getting an education is more than just what the degree and area of study is. You full-well know that, and so does anyone who got into and graduated from a college.

Networks, relationship building, learning about yourself, broadening your horizons, the list of benefits go on. And you may not be able to quantify them with an NIL price, but the opportunity should not be A) taken for granted and B) not valued at all.
Sounds a lot harder and a lot less immediately beneficial than paying players for the value they generate for the university.

Ok...I was responding to a specific post that mentioned players that went early, but to your point...

Who's stopping the 100s of others from not getting a degree now? They can also get paid on top of it.

OR like what a Judah Mintz did. They can go early. Make some money playing pro somewhere (prob G League or overseas in his case) THEN come back and get a degree from Syracuse OR another school of his choosing and proceed with another career.

You mean GMac didn't go to Syracuse and graduate in "Basketball Coaching"?

How many kids that didn't go to college went to the NFL?

College football is a monopoly. There is no other option for any of these guys, they are FORCED to play college football.

How many kids couldn't get into college that could have played in the NFL? These kids were forced into the system under the guise of a college education.
You just blew my mind. I never thought about it in this way.

I’m sure the colleges who profited off of these sports for nearly half a century want you to think that. What is insane is you going to work everyday expecting a pay check while simultaneously acting like these players, who likely work far harder than you, generate much more value, and have a far more unique skill set should be limited to receiving the same “benefits” given to those who generate no value whatsoever. All because you want the team to be better than they are. If Syracuse was crushing it every year in the major revenue sports people would calling for this system to proliferate even more. This is all Sour grapes and openly spreading college athletics historical propaganda.
They got a paycheck just like most of us get a paycheck. They got a free education which at SU is $240k and or more. Making them professionals has worked out very poorly.

Sounds a lot harder and a lot less immediately beneficial than paying players for the value they generate for the university.
Sure. I get it. Instant gratification society. And I am not saying they don’t deserve something. But paying individuals $2.2M for being the best player in the portal is free agency and absolutely ridiculous for “amateur” level athletics.

Sure. I get it. Instant gratification society. And I am not saying they don’t deserve something. But paying individuals $2.2M for being the best player in the portal is free agency and absolutely ridiculous.
First of all, instant gratification? These guys work extremely hard to be where they are.

Second, where did this $2.2 million number come from?

But why do you have to go to college to play in the NFL? You don't have to get a degree in football, do you?

Elite athletes should have a path to the pros that doesn't disqualify them for not being book smart or testing well.
I agree with u here but most kids that cant handle school are not goa handle all the thought proceses and studying u need to do well in pros. U gotta be smart too to goto huddle with 4 plays and remember snap count. They should have a way but not many guys will make it.

If you told them they could play football in a development league that would give them the same opportunity as college without the classes, I bet most kids would take it.

There's a lot of worthless degrees in college. A lot of these kids are getting a general degree because it's the easiest courseload.

They can get a degree while getting paid what they should.
I respectfully disagree, so few make it, much greater benefits and percentages lie in the the academic game of life. If you can have both awesome, but you better have you your marketable degree and connections to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom