This is why 99% of kids | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

This is why 99% of kids

Why did The Supreme Court disagree with your points?
If what you say if true, why did the NCAA lose their case?

One thing is a given and certain to occur, and that's your repeated playing of your trump card, ace in the hole, etc. That being, the mentioning of the Supreme Court ruling.

You know, the Supreme Court made up of human beings, whom are different than you or I. You agree with everything the Supreme Court rules on? How about that major ruling last year, you know, the one where many across this nation are at quite divisive odds with?

If you can allow yourself, for a moment, to keep the Supreme Court ruling out of it, is anything I specifically stated not true? If so, I'd be interested to hear your own view on that, versus the typical trump card you
play.

One thing is a given and certain to occur, and that's your repeated playing of your trump card, ace in the hole, etc. That being, the mentioning of the Supreme Court ruling.

You mean the Supreme Court made up of human beings, different than you or I? That Supreme Court? You agree with everything the Supreme Court rules on? How about one of the major ruling last year, you know, the one where many across this nation are at quite divisive odds with?

If you can allow yourself, for a moment, to keep the Supreme Court ruling out of it, is anything I specifically stated not true? If so, I'd be interested to hear your own view on that, versus the typical trump card you
play.

The ruling was 9-0.

The ruling was 9-0.

Again, if you're capable, answer my question. Was anything I said not true? Or, simply carry on as you do with the Supreme Court ruling you seemingly treat as gospel...at least in this instance/particular subject matter.

Again, if you're capable, answer my question. Was anything I said not true? Or, simply carry on as you do with the Supreme Court ruling you seemingly treat as gospel...at least in this instance and this particular subject matter.
You are asking questions that aren't true/false. They are opinion based.

Opinions that the supreme court using the constitution of the US deemed unlawful.

Read this through and let me know what you disagree with and then we can debate the points

You are asking questions that aren't true/false. They are opinion based.

Opinions that the supreme court using the constitution of the US deemed unlawful.

Answer this one, are these individuals forced to go to any of these colleges? Simple yes or no will do. Or, is that an opinion question in your mind?

Answer this one, are these individuals forced to go to any of these colleges? Simple yes or no will do. Or, is that an opinion question in your mind?
Yes, they are if they wish to play football or basketball at this level as spelled out in the link above:

Observing that the NCAA enjoys “near complete dominance of, and exercise monopsony power in, the relevant market”—which it defined as the market for “athletic service sin men’s and women’s Division I basketball and FBS football, wherein each class member participates in his or her sport-specific market.” D. Ct. Op., at 1097. The “most talented athletes are concentrated” in the “markets for Division I basketball and FBS football.” Id., at 1067. There are no “viable substitutes,” as the “NCAA’s Division I essentially is the relevant market for elite college football and basketball.” Id., at 1067, 1070. In short, the NCAA and its member schools have the “power to restrain student-athlete compensation in any way and at any time they wish, without any meaningful risk of diminishing their market dominance.” Id., at 1070.

It's like asking "Is anyone forced to use the electric company (of record in your area) for power?"

Well, yeah, if they want power.

With that, I'll give you the last word.

Yes, they are if they wish to play football or basketball at this level as spelled out in the link above:

Observing that the NCAA enjoys “near complete dominance of, and exercise monopsony power in, the relevant market”—which it defined as the market for “athletic service sin men’s and women’s Division I basketball and FBS football, wherein each class member participates in his or her sport-specific market.” D. Ct. Op., at 1097. The “most talented athletes are concentrated” in the “markets for Division I basketball and FBS football.” Id., at 1067. There are no “viable substitutes,” as the “NCAA’s Division I essentially is the relevant market for elite college football and basketball.” Id., at 1067, 1070. In short, the NCAA and its member schools have the “power to restrain student-athlete compensation in any way and at any time they wish, without any meaningful risk of diminishing their market dominance.” Id., at 1070.

It's like asking "Is anyone forced to use the electric company (of record in your area) for power?"

Well, yeah, if they want power.

With that, I'll give you the last word.

They 100% voluntarily choose their path, the one of least resistance. 100% free will. Thanks for the last word. :)

They 100% voluntarily choose their path, the one of least resistance. 100% free will. Thanks for the last word. :)
"Forget the body whose role in making decisions on whether individuals or institutions are operating within Federal Law. Here's MY opinion."

Name the "different route", specifically for football.

Also, take out the college football element out of it for a second. Would you, in any other circumstance, argue that an employer shouldn't have to pay their employees because the employer assumes financial risk, provides training, maintains facilities, etc.?

There are folks playing at the professional level that didn't go the college route. However, the college route has typically been the best, easiest, path of least resistance one.

Are these employees crying how their employer uses/abuses them as "free labor" in order for them to possess a 'guise' paycheck?

Answer this one, are these individuals forced to go to any of these colleges? Simple yes or no will do.
The fact that individuals are not forced to play college sports is an absolutely horrendous and illogical argument as to why they shouldn't be fairly compensated for the value they help create. This strawman argument has been made over and over again in this thread, and each time it's awful.

The fact that individuals are not forced to play college sports is an absolutely horrendous and illogical argument as to why they shouldn't be fairly compensated for the value they help create. This strawman argument has been made over and over again in this thread, and each time it's awful.

I haven't stated that these individuals shouldn't be fairly compensated. I just don't and haven't ever bought into the 'free labor', et al type belief/sentiment. As I mentioned, these individuals are provided a platform, exposure, infrastructure, access, etc. to showcase/develop/enhance their talents they otherwise would've never had. They have also benefited along the way. It hasn't been a one way street as "free labor" implies.

There are layers here.

Last edited:
Is
None of that is the kids fault though, is it? It's the result of a crumbling system that was built on the backs of free labor under the guise of a degree.
Is there anything called personal responsibility anymore, did you actually play College sports? all people are saying is the Degree is something that you can benefit from forever if applied correctly with forethought. How about that concerning personal responsibility. Just because someone does not land a job specific to their degree does not mean they do not utilize the skills developed to obtain the degree. Of further significance many do use the specific for degree to work in the associated profession correlated with their specific degree. I am one of them. I can tell you of many many past Syracuse athletes who were tremendous students and the sacrifice that it took. Massive benefit if you want to take advantage of the gauntlet that it is, brutal time commitments, however development of character, mad work ethic, ability to be a team player, lifelong connections..... I am not against getting paid if you can, however once again a very small percentage will, otherwise it is all going to collapse. I have not even begun to talk about women sports, small Division I programs, D2, D3 programs. Sports and the ancillary benefits have elevated so many people out of crippling situations. There are has to be some balance but most certainly a recognition of amazing good. If opportunities present themselves, great but do not forget the primary reason why the student athlete is here. Otherwise choose to do something else and that is okay. Much respect

There are folks playing at the professional level that didn't go the college route. However, the college route has typically been the best, easiest, path of least resistance one.
Name 5 current players.

Are these employees crying how their employer uses/abuses them as "free labor" in order for them to possess a 'guise' paycheck?
What "phony" work are college athletes doing?

Is there anything called personal responsibility anymore, did you actually play College sports?
How do you go from "college athletes aren't compensated properly" to "there's no personal responsibility these days?"

I haven't stated that these individuals shouldn't be fairly compensated. I just don't and haven't ever bought into the 'free labor', et al type belief/sentiment. As I mentioned, these individuals are provided a platform, exposure, infrastructure, access, etc. to showcase/develop/enhance their talents they otherwise would've never had. They have also benefited along the way. It hasn't been a one way street as "free labor" implies.

There are layers here.
What is the purpose of your question “yes/no are players forced to go to these colleges?” When you already know the answer is no, and no one has argued otherwise.

How do you go from "college athletes aren't compensated properly" to "there's no personal responsibility these days?"
I guess you would have to read thread and associate context, I was not referring to you directly. Sort of done here. Thanks

I guess you would have to read thread and associate context, I was not referring to you directly. Sort of done here. Thanks
Is your go-to to just insult people instead of answer questions?

The overarching issue is that degree is not compensation, and should not be treated as such.
Except that it is. I had student loans for over 20 years that had a very direct impact on what they call income-debt ratio that kept me locked out of good loans. Essentially 20 years of financial penalties.

Name 5 current players.

What "phony" work are college athletes doing?

Look, it's not the only way, that is a fact, there's another path, proof by those whom have taken that journey. As I stated, the aforementioned has been easiest and path of least resistant route, therefore where the masses lie.

I didn't say they were, it was the poster I initially responded to who did by his "free labor" for a guise degree.

What is the purpose of your question “yes/no are players forced to go to these colleges?” When you already know the answer is no, and no one has argued otherwise.

The question stems back to the whole false premise "free labor" etc., malarkey. If it was such a wrong, etc. they all wouldn't be willing, ready and ambling running to sign up for it in the free will manner in which they do.

Look, it's not the only way, that is a fact, there's another path, proof by those whom have taken that journey. As I stated, the aforementioned has been easiest and path of least resistant route, therefore where the masses lie.
You can't just say "there's a way" when there's no one who is able to do it that way.

I googled "NFL players who didn't go to college" and found exactly 1 from 2000 onwards who fits the bill of "guy who didn't go to college and came out of nowhere to make the NFL." (Michael Lewis of the Saints, 2001 - 2007.) The rest played another sport at an elite level (CBB, Rugby, Aussie Rules football, etc.)

The question stems back to the whole false premise "free labor" malarkey. If it was such a wrong,etc. they all wouldn't be willing, ready and ambling to sign up for it in the free will manner in which they do.
... or they don't have a choice?

You can't just say "there's a way" when there's no one who is able to do it that way.

I googled "NFL players who didn't go to college" and found exactly 1 from 2000 onwards who fits the bill of "guy who didn't go to college and came out of nowhere to make the NFL." (Michael Lewis of the Saints, 2001 - 2007.) The rest played another sport at an elite level (CBB, Rugby, Aussie Rules football, etc.)

I appreciate you substantiating my sentiment. ;):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom