Video on the career of Billy Owens the guy Kevin Durant modeled his game on. | Syracusefan.com

Video on the career of Billy Owens the guy Kevin Durant modeled his game on.

88/89 roster.
sherman douglas , stevie thompson , DC44 , billy owens and dave johnson . toss in matt roe shooting 48%deep . herm the helicopter inside (and board cult favorite tony scott) . DANG!

2003 is the best team because they won a champ. 2010 and 2012 were great teams that were 1 center away from true title contendership until the last game before the tournament.

but that 1988/89 roster is the best we have ever had talent wise. with out question.

88/89 roster.
sherman douglas , stevie thompson , DC44 , billy owens and dave johnson . toss in matt roe shooting 48%deep . herm the helicopter inside (and board cult favorite tony scott) . DANG!
i remember JB brought this team north to play a scrimmage at JCC in watertown. wish we could see more of that community outreach . build the fan base. also had derrick scheduled to speak at sackets harbor HS but was replaced late by herman harried or derek brower . either way the kids loved it. they really didn't know who he was they just knew he was HUGE.

Last edited:
Still my favorite Syracuse player of all-time! Billy could do almost anything on the court. I really loved how he could go right or left equally well and his passing ability for a 6'9" player is still rarely seen.
I think he is underrated by many when discussing the all time great players in Syracuse basketball history. Probably because the teams he played on did not win an NC or even get to the Final Four.

He really could do it all.

Good article on him from when he was being recruited.

2003 is the best team because they won a champ. 2010 and 2012 were great teams that were 1 center away from true title contendership until the last game before the tournament.

but that 1988/89 roster is the best we have ever had talent wise. with out question.
This 100%, DC had a bad back during the tourney and during the season we lost Sherm for a while which is why we were only 10-6 in the conference. When healthy, that team had sick talent, the Indiana game in the pre-season NIT was a perfect example of how freakishly talented that team was.

I think he is underrated by many when discussing the all time great players in Syracuse basketball history. Probably because the teams he played on did not win an NC or even get to the Final Four.

i think billy as talented as he was as a frosh actually had to rein himself in a bit given the talent on the court.

Agreed. I think a lot of people correlate that shocking collapse his junior year [losing in the first round of the BET after such a great regular season and being the #1 seed], and then being the first #2 seed to lose to a #15 seed -- has tainted how he is viewed by some.

I feel like Moten gets that same treatment, after the unfortunate TO against Arkansas.

That video was a reminder of how great Billy Owens was at SU, and how he deserves mention amongst the pantheon of all time program greats.

And that team had a great 3 PT shooter in Matt Roe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom