1 and done to stay for now | Syracusefan.com

1 and done to stay for now

It really hurts CBB. Can't they just give us 2 years. We hardly get to know these guys.
That would make too much sense for the NCAA, plus it may, just may, help the NBA.

Looks like the NBA and player's association have agreed to keep the one and done in place in their collective bargaining discussions

Report: 1-and-done will remain in place as NBA, union continue talks
Time to bring in MLB's system. Yes, CBB would miss out on 5-10 upper-crust players per year, but we'd get everyone else for at least 3 years. That is a win in my book. Think about it. Lydon would have 2 more years, perhaps 3.

We got to know Pearl in 3 years. I was 11 or 12 when he left for the NBA and I was crushed for 2 weeks (the loss to Navy did not help). That was because I was invested in his SU career. I am now 44, but I cannot imagine if I was 12 this past spring that I'd be broken-hearted that M.Richardson went pro (love you #23, just the reality is that you were here for the blink of an eye). My level of investment was mush shallower.

The GM's don't want players straight out of high school because there is too much risk. The NBA players remember what it was like before getting paychecks in the league and don't want future players waiting any longer than they have to to get paid.

Solution: The NCAA needs to allow high school kids to declare for the draft with the same withdrawal rules recently applied to college players (can withdraw by a certain date and retain eligibility). The NCAA also needs to open up avenues for players to get paid. The NBA needs to abolish the one-and-done rule completely.

Time to bring in MLB's system. Yes, CBB would miss out on 5-10 upper-crust players per year, but we'd get everyone else for at least 3 years. That is a win in my book. Think about it. Lydon would have 2 more years, perhaps 3.

We got to know Pearl in 3 years. I was 11 or 12 when he left for the NBA and I was crushed for 2 weeks (the loss to Navy did not help). That was because I was invested in his SU career. I am now 44, but I cannot imagine if I was 12 this past spring that I'd be broken-hearted that M.Richardson went pro (love you #23, just the reality is that you were here for the blink of an eye). My level of investment was mush shallower.

How do you purpose getting the nbapa to accept this?

The one and done has just done wonders for the NBA:bat:
Well, they are ALL smarter business people than we are, and they have decided it works for them. Proof is in the pudding.

Well, they are ALL smarter business people than we are, and they have decided it works for them. Proof is in the pudding.

You realize the nba wants 2 years right?

Amazing to me that the NBA PA doesn't push this. Basically you have raw prospects taking roster spots from veteran players because they are cheaper. Another factor is the increased roster size. I think it went from 12 to 15 on the last CBA allowing teams to stash prospects who are not even close to ready.

Amazing to me that the NBA PA doesn't push this. Basically you have raw prospects taking roster spots from veteran players because they are cheaper. Another factor is the increased roster size. I think it went from 12 to 15 on the last CBA allowing teams to stash prospects who are not even close to ready.

From what I've read (which hasn't been much, so take this for what it's worth), but the PA seems to be pushing for more 2-way contracts with the D-League and building that league up. They also want to eventually get to the point where every team has a D-League affiliate. So in that way, they're pushing for more jobs in the NBA. So while you're right that prospects can be stashed, it allows more people to be employed in the NBA and doesn't impose new restrictions on those trying to enter the league which is what the PA is for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom