10 teams ranked 37th or better in yards per game on offense and defense | Syracusefan.com

10 teams ranked 37th or better in yards per game on offense and defense

the D has been solid, really only a couple few bad halfs all year and the offense has played against the best dlines in the country to produce those stats.. you cant skew tempo against the offense and forget it means the D is out there too for more possessions.

If we can produce this type of D normally, the sky is the limit. I love our LB core but they are not elite either, hopefully we can get close to that level of play next year and continue to be solid. We need to find our pass rusher that scares people, LSU/NC st/Miami/FSU/BC/Clem all had 1 or 2 or 3 and we need 1 to take that next step.. The guys show glimpses.

I thought that was you saying it was a waste of time to worry about defense. I've also said, why not both?

Baylor didn't start really winning until the defense caught up. Looks like Leach has done the same thing.
i think this is about as good as it will ever get for leach and babers. i never expected top 40 for either of them. i want them to strive to be great on offense and good enough on defense - i think trying to be great on defense means you have to make offensive sacrifices so that your defense has something normal to practice against. i think that only factories have that luxury

not that big a difference between 37 and 77

1st is 241 ypg
37th is 365
74th is 401

much bigger gap between 1 and 37

if you want to be great, you gotta be great at something. that something is going to be offense here

i think you can luck into a decent defense easier than you can luck into a decent offense. i doubt leach all of a sudden got better at coaching defense, he's probably just lucky

i think this is about as good as it will ever get for leach and babers. i never expected top 40 for either of them. i want them to strive to be great on offense and good enough on defense - i think trying to be great on defense means you have to make offensive sacrifices so that your defense has something normal to practice against. i think that only factories have that luxury

1st is 241 ypg
37th is 365
74th is 401

if you want to be great, you gotta be great at something. that something is going to be offense here

i think you can luck into a decent defense easier than you can luck into a decent offense. i doubt leach all of a sudden got better at coaching defense, he's probably just lucky

Playing from a head and having a decent run game puts strain on most opponents and should allow you to play better defense, SU situational defense has been great. Where they get burned still is being out athleted. I bet explosive td's vs extended drive scores skews way toward the former.

I really wonder what the D stats would look like if we had a running game and didnt play every road game from down 14-20 pts? We might even be running more plays if we could run and grind a bit better

I really wonder what the D stats would look like if we had a running game and didnt play every road game from down 14-20 pts? We might even be running more plays if we could run and grind a bit better
there are lots of little things that can get better that can really make a big difference. little things that aren't too much to ask for.

considering how many passes get thrown against us, we don't get many sacks. what if that upgrades to somewhere around average?

1st is 241 ypg
37th is 365
74th is 401

I don't think this is the ceiling for the defense. We're doing this with inferior athletes at some positions and inferior depth everywhere. There's no reason that better athletes can't have better results in the same scheme.

Sometimes offensive coaches realize you need decent defense to get where you want. That's what Spurrier did when he hired Stoops in the 90's. I get the feeling Babers has always thought that defense was necessary, moreso than Leach. I think we'll be consistently good there. Like you said before, great on offense and good on defense will make us pretty good.

Playing from a head and having a decent run game puts strain on most opponents and should allow you to play better defense, SU situational defense has been great. Where they get burned still is being out athleted. I bet explosive td's vs extended drive scores skews way toward the former.

Last year we were 82nd in the country in 3rd down D, giving up 41%.

This year, we're 1st in the country, giving up 22%.

And we do this while at the same time we're 102nd in Sacks, 99th in Turnovers.

It's insane.

I think we have one of the youngest groups of DLinemen in the country. Only two upperclassmen, zero players with no eligibility left. We'll get better at generating a pass rush soon, I have no doubt. Just hope Slayton comes back next year to give us a little time to find a couple quality DT's (if we don't already have them lined up via JUCO/transfer).

I have no doubt we will get better RB's, QB's and WR's in future years. It will be hard for us not to improve on offense, IMO.

Crazy thoughts. I like it.

Last year we were 82nd in the country in 3rd down D, giving up 41%.

This year, we're 1st in the country, giving up 22%.

And we do this while at the same time we're 102nd in Sacks, 99th in Turnovers.

It's insane.
We tackle well I guess.

Tampa 2 doesn't work in college football...not enough speed at receiver, cant beat press coverage.
the D has been solid, really only a couple few bad halfs all year and the offense has played against the best dlines in the country to produce those stats.. you cant skew tempo against the offense and forget it means the D is out there too for more possessions.

If we can produce this type of D normally, the sky is the limit. I love our LB core but they are not elite either, hopefully we can get close to that level of play next year and continue to be solid. We need to find our pass rusher that scares people, LSU/NC st/Miami/FSU/BC/Clem all had 1 or 2 or 3 and we need 1 to take that next step.. The guys show glimpses.
i disagree with the lb not being elite. Bennett and Franklin are about as good as we're gonna get especially Bennett. 2 of the 3 run plays that scores at fsu both backers were right there as the olinemen had both literally locked up and holding them terrible. Now I am not using that as an excuse cause it isn't but they were right there in arms length away. The third one I believe we missed terrible but I feel they are very good.

i disagree with the lb not being elite. Bennett and Franklin are about as good as we're gonna get especially Bennett. 2 of the 3 run plays that scores at fsu both backers were right there as the olinemen had both literally locked up and holding them terrible. Now I am not using that as an excuse cause it isn't but they were right there in arms length away. The third one I believe we missed terrible but I feel they are very good.

No - they make LB bigger and faster lol. I love Bennett and Franklin - but give me an extra couple of inches and a bit more speed.

It can happen here.

I think we have one of the youngest groups of DLinemen in the country. Only two upperclassmen, zero players with no eligibility left. We'll get better at generating a pass rush soon, I have no doubt. Just hope Slayton comes back next year to give us a little time to find a couple quality DT's (if we don't already have them lined up via JUCO/transfer).

I have no doubt we will get better RB's, QB's and WR's in future years. It will be hard for us not to improve on offense, IMO.

Crazy thoughts. I like it.

The job this Dline has done is phenomenal. It all starts with Slayton taking double teams and the benefits domino out to the D ends. samuels has also had a bounce back year and ya gotta love our young D ends.

The job this Dline has done is phenomenal. It all starts with Slayton taking double teams and the benefits domino out to the D ends. samuels has also had a bounce back year and ya gotta love our young D ends.

Just praying that Slayton stays for his final year of eligibility.

those guys have been great for us and they may be about as good as we can get.. but i dont think they make it to the NFL and we have played probably 5-10 this year who might. We dont need NFL to compete, but we do need solid and pretty good and they were that at more. I hope we have clones of them coming up or coming in. If we regress we may not be as solid.

Sounds like a personal plea in that post that was well, kind of hidden.

Running on 5 hours of sleep so my “Check to make sure I don’t say something unintentionally leading” is broken

those guys have been great for us and they may be about as good as we can get.. but i dont think they make it to the NFL and we have played probably 5-10 this year who might. We dont need NFL to compete, but we do need solid and pretty good and they were that at more. I hope we have clones of them coming up or coming in. If we regress we may not be as solid.

Why are they about as good as we can get?

I think that's absolutely a false statement. I also think Robinson has a shot to make the NFL. As does Slayton, possibly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom