102nd in yards per play, 107th in yards per play defense | Syracusefan.com

102nd in yards per play, 107th in yards per play defense

Millhouse

Living Legend
in yards per play, both sides were better in Gerg's last year.

This team is still terrible but smart play on 4th down hides that fact.

That is a damming fact, wow.

not directed at you but I suspect a lot of the people who are surprised at how bad it is per play are the same people who thought it was crazy to suggest going for it on 4th down more.

this is a 2 win season if not for the change in 4th down mentality

Not me, I am a big fan of Babers going for it a lot on 4th down. Can't think of one I disagreed with to be honest, even the FSU one I thought was the right move but a horrific play call.

One thing i noticed during last few games was all the long TDs given up. So i took a look at TDs given up this year and used 20 yards as my cut off (since this is the red zone). This is what i found for the season:

Team: Offensive TDs allowed / >/= 20 yd TDs allowed

CCSU: 1 / 1
CMU: 2 / 1
MTSU: 4 / 2
LSU: 5 / 4
NCState: 4 / 1
Pitt: 2 / 1
Clem: 2 / 2 (1 def TD)
Mia: 3 / 2
FSU: 3 / 3
Wake: 8 / 3
L'Ville: 8 / 7

So, of the 42 TDs allowed this year, 27 have been 20 yards or longer. There have also been 2 TDs at 19 yards.

One thing i noticed during last few games was all the long TDs given up. So i took a look at TDs given up this year and used 20 yards as my cut off (since this is the red zone). This is what i found for the season:

So, of the 42 TDs allowed this year, 27 have been 20 yards or longer. There have also been 2 TDs at 19 yards.

one reason the offense seems better than the yards per play would say is that we remember the big plays and we have more chances at big plays by running more plays.

our defense is atrocious in that regard, 20, 30, 40 however you want to slice it (middle of the pack in 60 yard plays given up

Coaches use the term "explosive plays: gains of 20 yard or more. We had two such plays, totaling 58 yards and no scores. Louisville had 10 of them for 414 yards and 7TDs. On the games other 139 plays, we gained 277 yards and scored 10 points and they gained 313 yards and scored 7 points, (on a 19 yard pass). It's all about having athletes who can take it the distance.

Coaches use the term "explosive plays: gains of 20 yard or more. We had two such plays, totaling 58 yards and no scores. Louisville had 10 of them for 414 yards and 7TDs. On the games other 139 plays, we gained 277 yards and scored 10 points and they gained 313 yards and scored 7 points, (on a 19 yard pass). It's all about having athletes who can take it the distance.

and having athletes who can cover them on D...

I actually think there is reason to feel good here - last years D recruits and this years verbals are faster and sometimes bigger

I think there's a perception that we have a good passing game, but we really don't. We just throw a lot. And it would surprise a lot of people to know that we rank better on a yards per play basis running than passing.

Only Wash St has more pass attempts than us. But our completion percentage is #75 out of 130. That is really what drives down the yards per attempt to 6.3 which is good for #114. We are actually in the top half of the NCAA in passing plays over 10, over 20, over 30, and over 40 yards. It's not until you get to plays over 50 that we are below average. (As an aside, it's interesting but not surprising that 6 of the top 10 teams in passing plays over 50 yards are in the Big XII).

If sacks counted as passing plays, our passing ypp rank would be even worse because we are abysmal in sacks allowed (#113). Although less abysmal in sack yardage allowed (#102)...still bad.

Our passing yards per attempt were #86 in Sept, #99 in October, and #115 in November. We are worse without Dungey, obviously, but we were never really good.

We are #88 in yards per rushing attempt, at 3.99 ypp. We've gotten better as the year has gone on. September we were #93, October #85, and November #63. We would rank higher if sacks didn't count against rushing yards, since we give up far more sack yards than most teams. We've given up more than 10% of our total rushing yards in sacks.

My takeaway is that the offensive stats are about what I'd expect for a 4-7 team, but not at all what I expected at the end of year 2 under Babers.

I think there's a perception that we have a good passing game, but we really don't. We just throw a lot. And it would surprise a lot of people to know that we rank better on a yards per play basis running than passing.

Only Wash St has more pass attempts than us. But our completion percentage is #75 out of 130. That is really what drives down the yards per attempt to 6.3 which is good for #114. We are actually in the top half of the NCAA in passing plays over 10, over 20, over 30, and over 40 yards. It's not until you get to plays over 50 that we are below average. (As an aside, it's interesting but not surprising that 6 of the top 10 teams in passing plays over 50 yards are in the Big XII).

If sacks counted as passing plays, our passing ypp rank would be even worse because we are abysmal in sacks allowed (#113). Although less abysmal in sack yardage allowed (#102)...still bad.

Our passing yards per attempt were #86 in Sept, #99 in October, and #115 in November. We are worse without Dungey, obviously, but we were never really good.

We are #88 in yards per rushing attempt, at 3.99 ypp. We've gotten better as the year has gone on. September we were #93, October #85, and November #63. We would rank higher if sacks didn't count against rushing yards, since we give up far more sack yards than most teams. We've given up more than 10% of our total rushing yards in sacks.

My takeaway is that the offensive stats are about what I'd expect for a 4-7 team, but not at all what I expected at the end of year 2 under Babers.

Yeah, for sure. But the counter to that is if ran a traditional offense, we'd have a crappy passing game with less yards and points (and wins).

It's the right system - just have a long way to go.

we all admire dungey, i just don't think he's actually that good at passing

we all admire dungey, i just don't think he's actually that good at passing

I don't think he's anything spectacular at throwing the ball. But what would you rather have this year with our overall backfield (for all 12 games) and oline- an okay passer who wins games making plays on the ground? Or a better pocket passer who is a stiff in the pocket?

I guess that answer depends on how much better a passer?

Yeah, for sure. But the counter to that is if ran a traditional offense, we'd have a crappy passing game with less yards and points (and wins).

It's the right system - just have a long way to go.

I'm not at all advocating for getting rid of the system. But out of curiosity I wanted to see how that #102 in yards per play compared to our more traditional 2015 offense, so I looked it up. In 2015 our yards per play ranked...#102. 2014...#111. 2013...#102.

At least we are consistent.

While I'm very surprised that this system hasn't netted better results to date, I believe it will in the future. A lot of it depends on this staff's ability to recruit to their system.

Talk with the coaches about how many missed reads the WR and QBs are still making.. Big plays to be had just poor throws and poor decisions abound.

What was it prior to Dungey’s injury? Just curious.

Our offense is futile without him, yet we still belay at a breakneck pace allowing the other team more plays and chances for greater plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom