102nd in yards per play, 107th in yards per play defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

102nd in yards per play, 107th in yards per play defense

What was it prior to Dungey’s injury? Just curious.

Our offense is futile without him, yet we still belay at a breakneck pace allowing the other team more plays and chances for greater plays.
There were threads about it, have to dig up. It wasn't this bad but it was in the nineties

There were threads about it, have to dig up. It wasn't this bad but it was in the nineties

If only there were 300+ cfb programs like college hoops , then we might look a bit better.

Those stats are ugly. I think it has hurt Dungey having different coaches all his career including HS. He has talent and is one tough kid but if this is down to the nurture vs nature football wise...it's all been nature. I hope the next few years of WR's run Babers system to a T because they've done it the whole time on the Hill.

I'm not at all advocating for getting rid of the system. But out of curiosity I wanted to see how that #102 in yards per play compared to our more traditional 2015 offense, so I looked it up. In 2015 our yards per play ranked...#102. 2014...#111. 2013...#102.

At least we are consistent.

While I'm very surprised that this system hasn't netted better results to date, I believe it will in the future. A lot of it depends on this staff's ability to recruit to their system.

That's the thing though. We have had better results. #17 VaTech, #2 Clemson (close with LSU/Miami).

not directed at you but I suspect a lot of the people who are surprised at how bad it is per play are the same people who thought it was crazy to suggest going for it on 4th down more.

this is a 2 win season if not for the change in 4th down mentality

Near missed this - but it's not just the 4th downs. We get extra plays with tempo too. Running a crappy offense at a higher tempo inches it closer to respectability than a crappy one played at meathead tempo.

Near missed this - but it's not just the 4th downs. We get extra plays with tempo too. Running a crappy offense at a higher tempo inches it closer to respectability than a crappy one played at meathead tempo.
tempo gives everyone more plays though. 4th downs give us more plays (and them less)

i love the tempo for the future. eventually we'll get better per play. some of these 4 yard passes will turn into homeruns

The upperclass talent on this team is extremely poor for a P5 program and it’s ill fitting talent for the schemes on both sides. Bad combo. 4 wins is a miracle when you look at these numbers (plus 5 single digit/down to the final minutes losses)

tempo gives everyone more plays though. 4th downs give us more plays (and them less)

i love the tempo for the future. eventually we'll get better per play. some of these 4 yard passes will turn into homeruns

That may be. Plus we've given up enough big plays both years that it skews things a touch.

But our numbers (below) and Baylor's from their hey day show around a 70-200 more plays for the team that plays tempo on the year.

2017: Us - 965 plays, Them - 756 plays
2016: Us - 971 plays, Them - 870 plays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom