14/50 - 28% | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

14/50 - 28%

Houston’s been doing this all year. This is who they are.
The best NBA defense shouldn’t hold us to 28% shooting. How many teams did they hold to 28% shooting this season? One, the 12-11 Cincinnati Bearcats. They did it once this year, not all year.

Houston had a big part of that but we had many open looks. Bad shots like Jessie shooting from the fouls line after a great D possession or Joe forcing shots. Buddy was shut down no doubt but the rest of the team didn’t capitalize on opportunities. Nice run though
I didn't mind his shot. It was better than Marek who is afraid to shoot and timid about driving to the basket. Marek has skills beyond being a passing big man but never used them fully. His propensity to defer hurt our offense, he needed to try and score more.

The best NBA defense shouldn’t hold us to 28% shooting. How many teams did they hold to 28% shooting this season? One, the 12-11 Cincinnati Bearcats. They did it once this year, not all year.
Don’t forget about Our Lady of the Lake!

And don’t have the skill or athleticism to create. We can score against bad and mediocre D’s. But most good or great D’s will hinder us.
Kadary can create off the bounce but he’s a bit slowed by that tendinitis.

Houston is a top 5 defensive team. They proved that last night. But we also proved we could score against very good Defenses like UVA, San Diego State and West Virginia just in the past 3 weeks.

From 1 minute in it was clear to me our offense was going to struggle

From 1 minute in it was clear to me our offense was going to struggle
The patented SU “zero points by three or four minutes in” start gave it away.

I’m not a gambler at all, but I should have bet my mortgage on the under of 140(lol).

We couldn’t beat anybody off the dribble last night, except for KR in a couple of possessions. You can’t expect to beat elite defensive teams with Buddy and Joe in the backcourt and no post up game. I love Buddy, but he needs a Kadary- Flynn type of player to be teamed with.

We couldn’t beat anybody off the dribble last night, except for KR in a couple of possessions. You can’t expect to beat elite defensive teams with Buddy and Joe in the backcourt and no post up game. I love Buddy, but he needs a Kadary- Flynn type of player to be teamed with.
agree 100%. Houston showed what can happen when Syracuse runs into a team with athletic guards. Buddy/Joe simply aren't athletic enough to beat anyone off the dribble. That can be countered at times with savvy and motion, but when a well coached athletic team decides to put pressure on our guards, the offense crumbles. As long as Buddy and Girard get the majority of minutes as a backcourt duo, Syracuse's ceiling is low. They'll be competitive with less athletic teams and poorly coached athletic teams, but they will be absolutely devastated by well coached athletic teams.

I shudder to think what Baylor would do to Syracuse. Might not break 35.

yep...the game was set for Griffin to beat his man or hit shots and he just couldn’t do it or even stay on the floor.

additionally I thought Kadary needed to start looking to score more and he kept dishing to the wrong people in the wrong spots. It was not his best game, offensively.

yup. We literally only have 1 kid on the entire team that can beat anyone off the dribble. 1. I'm not sure I've seen that in my entire life as a Syracuse fan. (though I admit I don't know if Woody can handle). QG is atrocious at ball handling and our 2 starting guards would have trouble handling pressure at the Y.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom