1989 Georgetown/Cuse | Syracusefan.com

1989 Georgetown/Cuse

Subscribe to that guys channel, he keeps adding classic cuse games. The Minnesota sweet 16 1990 game is on there, I hadn't seen a second of that game since watching it live as an 11 yr old at my friends house.

That was friggin' awesome. Thanks for posting.

JB's histrionics on the sideline were great, especially the celebration at the 1:18:00 mark. "I don't care about this game...NO MORE STUFF ON THE COURT!!!"

The pressing, the trapping, the up & down action, the 2nd half comeback...good times.

Nice to see that Packer was a douche even back then - I especially enjoyed him trying to convince the audience that Owens was over the baseline at the end of regulation, even though the replay showed otherwise.

Burr...ugh.

And Mike Tirico doing the post-game!

I was 12 years old when the shot clock went from 45 to 35 seconds, so my memories of a 45 second clock are limited. My God how did you guys deal with that? Woof.

Eric15 said:
I was 12 years old when the shot clock went from 45 to 35 seconds, so my memories of a 45 second clock are limited. My God how did you guys deal with that? Woof.

Different game back then. I remember prior to shot clocks when teams would be tied with 3 minutes left and a team would literally hold for one shot.

Different game back then. I remember prior to shot clocks when teams would be tied with 3 minutes left and a team would literally hold for one shot.
The 45 second shot clock was adopted as a reaction to the 4 Corners offense that UNC started. If they had a 4-5 point lead with like 6 minutes left, they would spread the floor and basically pass the ball around for the rest of the game, or until you fouled them. Then other teams started doing it.. and earlier and earlier. Boring.

I remember, and it was during a game at Manley, they announced the halftime score of the Duke-UNC game, Duke 7-0. Dean's Four Corner 'offense'. Final score: Duke 47-40.

Edit - it had to be 78 or 79

Just found the entire game on YouTube. Pretty cool!

The program and this town have been chasing that vibe and quality for 25 years.

There have been some great moments since, 2003 obviously, but in a lot of ways a shadow of what it once was.

I was at this game and the game they showed as the lead in - the '88 game in the Dome won by Gtown at the buzzer on a scoop shot - still arguably the worst losing moment in Dome history. The '89 victory was even more sweet as revenge for the '88 loss. Those were the glory days and sadly they will never come again due to many changes in the college basketball landscape. Glad I was at the Dome many times during that era. Let's Go Orange!

Reaffirms my belief that in a best of 7 series, that team wins the tournament of all time SU teams. Not sure they get pushed to game 7.

God games were different back then. I was 18 years old and college basketball was at its highest point. Dome games were the best. As good as the atmosphere was for Duke last year (and it was awesome) it couldn't touch games like this. There was none of the BS crap that goes on today when you attend a game.

No Mr Excitement
No "Deuce for the Cuse"
No lame ass buzzkill cheerleader cheer that noone cheers with (and why hasnt this been banned yet BTW)
No stupid contests during the game
The blue curtain (no not the tool who posted here but the actual curtain which was awesome)
No piped in music
No DJ (seriously...why the hell do we have a freaking DJ in the student section? So unbelievably weak and embarrassing)
The band played all the time
The Dome Ranger and the Dome Eddie
No Taco Time

Just basketball. I miss those days. As much as I love the Dome its getting more and more painful to sit through a game because its so lame these days.

God games were different back then. I was 18 years old and college basketball was at its highest point. Dome games were the best. As good as the atmosphere was for Duke last year (and it was awesome) it couldn't touch games like this. There was none of the BS crap that goes on today when you attend a game.

No Mr Excitement
No "Deuce for the Cuse"
No lame ass buzzkill cheerleader cheer that noone cheers with (and why hasnt this been banned yet BTW)
No stupid contests during the game
The blue curtain (no not the tool who posted here but the actual curtain which was awesome)
No piped in music
No DJ (seriously...why the hell do we have a freaking DJ in the student section? So unbelievably weak and embarrassing)
The band played all the time
The Dome Ranger and the Dome Eddie
No Taco Time

Just basketball. I miss those days. As much as I love the Dome its getting more and more painful to sit through a game because its so lame these days.

It's getting that way because they have increasingly tried to make it more like an NBA experieince and deemphasize the collegiate stuff like the band, instead of embracing the collegiate stuff.

When they took away chants and have the band barely play during timeouts in lieu of piped in music, awful contests, etc. they got off track.

RF2044 said:
It's getting that way because they have increasingly tried to make it more like an NBA experieince and deemphasize the collegiate stuff like the band, instead of embracing the collegiate stuff. When they took away chants and have the band barely play during timeouts in lieu of piped in music, awful contests, etc. they got off track.
One of the many reasons i loathe nba now

These are the games that made me a cuse fan. I was 10 at the time, I remember being at a family function at some restaurant and going downstairs to bar area to see score. I vividly remember seeing boeheim going nuts on sidelines. I was never sure which game that was or what the family function was, but it was definitely this game. And I figured out the family function, my cousin was born dec '88 so the christening was march '89. This game was a Sunday afternoon right?

I remember, and it was during a game at Manley, they announced the halftime score of the Duke-UNC game, Duke 7-0. Dean's Four Corner 'offense'. Final score: Duke 47-40.

Edit - it had to be 78 or 79

Reaffirms my belief that in a best of 7 series, that team wins the tournament of all time SU teams. Not sure they get pushed to game 7.

To play Devil's Advocate, some negatives of the 1989 team...

-Free throw shooting: no starters averaged over 70% from the line. The only player on the entire team that shot over 70% was Richie Manning and he only averaged 3 points per game.

-No bench. Dave Johnson/Manning/Harried/Tony Scott collectively averaged 12 points per game.

-Three point shooting: Roe was an excellent three point shooter, and Sherm was good for one per game, but after him there was absolutely nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom