1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

1998 Tennessee vs Syracuse

Probably the most disappointed I have been after a loss, I really wanted that game.

Virginia Tech 1999 is up there for me. I still shudder thinking about 62-0...

That was the same day as a disastrous Yankees loss to the Sox. Awful sports day for me.

Losing 62-0 is embarrassing but it is what is, sometimes those type of losses are easier to deal with. You don't think about every play that could have been the difference.

RF2044 said:
Virginia Tech 1999 is up there for me. I still shudder thinking about 62-0... That was the same day as a disastrous Yankees loss to the Sox. Awful sports day for me.

Ah, game 3 of the 1999 ALCS...

"Rooooooo-gerrrrrrrrr!!!!"

"Where is Roger?"
clap-clap-clapclapclap
"In the shower!"
clap-clap-clapclapclap

Sadly for us Sox fans, that was the only highlight of that series.

That Northwestern game from two years ago was some ********.

RF2044 said:

A very bad day, no doubt.

Hard to believe our hard nosed coach and team laid a 0-56 egg just last year against Georgia Tech. Somehow, that anomaly seems to get forgotten. I sure hope those days are over. Forever.

I've gotten over the pass interference because that was a legitimately close play but those uniform violations were just ridiculous (to put it in a word that I can actually use here on the board)

I also remember this game because we were selling our house on Georgia at the time and of course, that Saturday during the game was the perfect time for 3 different families to come look at it. My parents were out so I had to answer the door and then get lost while they looked at the house, all while pretending they were not inconveniencing me in the least bit. The house had been on the market for awhile and we really wanted to sell it, so I had no choice but to behave and be nice.

We also just missed a Pick Six in the second half that would have just about iced it. Momentum was with us. Pretty sure we had scored on the previous series. Martin threw a short pass in the flat. Our guy read it perfectly. It went right through his hands. It would have been a super play. The only times I've heard the Dome louder were '87 Penn State and the KO against UF in 91.

Was that the game it was like 110 degrees in the dome?
It's was so hot there was a haze. It was awesome. That said until tonight I never knew what those phantom calls were.

That whole game (minus commercials and downtime in between plays) is on youtube.

Great game. Should've won. I had that sinking feeling we would lose once we settled for 3. McNabb made one of the most incredible plays an SU QB has ever made, somehow spinning out of a sure sack on 3rd and long and then completing a 50 yard bomb while throwing on the run....and we proceed to run the ball 3 times in a row on 1st and goal inside the 10. Sickening. McNabb was magic, and we didn't give him a chance to put up 6.

I can't believe there aren't more Cuse football games on youtube. 1991 Florida, 1992 Miami, 1998 Michigan, and 1998 Miami: I would love to see all of those games again.

Last edited:
We also just missed a Pick Six in the second half that would have just about iced it. Momentum was with us. Pretty sure we had scored on the previous series. Martin threw a short pass in the flat. Our guy read it perfectly. It went right through his hands. It would have been a super play. The only times I've heard the Dome louder were '87 Penn State and the KO against UF in 91.

Good memory. Phil Nash?

after the game, we ended up at maggies. The real maggies not the bullsh!t Maggies 2.0 with velvet ropes and VIP area. hammered and despondent, Tennessee fans told me that SU would kill Michigan next week because they were slow.

even old bags at tennessee a couple years later knew what they were talking about ( unlike chip, who declared that john henderson would eat nunes and poop him out. they thought that analysis was bizarre.) they were very knowledgeable. i'm not sure if the young hotties at tennessee knew anything, they wouldn't talk to us.

after the game, we ended up at maggies. The real maggies not the bullsh!t Maggies 2.0 with velvet ropes and VIP area. hammered and despondent, Tennessee fans told me that SU would kill Michigan next week because they were slow.

even old bags at tennessee a couple years later knew what they were talking about ( unlike chip, who declared that john henderson would eat nunes and poop him out. they thought that analysis was bizarre.) they were very knowledgeable. i'm not sure if the young hotties at tennessee knew anything, they wouldn't talk to us.
I call this the "break the flag game". Left as UT lined up for the FG knowing we lost any potential shot at real national relevance for that year and for the foreseeable future with this loss. As I hit our lot I proceeded to break my SU car flag. Unfortunately I also broke the car window in the process. Shortly after I became a devotee to your fledgeling website (or whenever you gents set it up). Haven't got as worked up about any sporting event before or since. Truly a lost opportunity.

That was the same day as a disastrous Yankees loss to the Sox. Awful sports day for me.

Yes, 75-1 day. I remember thinking I should have celebrated Brosius' HR more.

Probably the worst sports day I can recall. Thank God for alcohol.

Best sports day being Saturday, October 6, 1996, which I ironically spent in Boston. Watched SU throttle BC in Chestnut Hill by day, Yankees beat the Braves in Game 6 by night.

I recall wondering why we were ever so high on Konrad during his time on the Hill. Also thought McIntosh was smallish but both scored in pretty good amounts. McNabb was great but both these guys had to work hard to get their yards.

I recall wondering why we were ever so high on Konrad during his time on the Hill. Also thought McIntosh was smallish but both scored in pretty good amounts. McNabb was great but both these guys had to work hard to get their yards.

Besides wearing number 44, Konrad reminded me of Moose Johnston and, to a lesser degree, the under-rated Byron Abraham. He could move the pile and jolt a single defender at the point of attack. But Konrad had a key fumble late in the first half of the UT game as I recall. He went to the locker room right after and I don't recall him coming back until after the half. From the Dome Era, I'd put him behind Moose, Abraham, Morris, Drummond, David Walker and Mike Owens off the top of my head ahead of him. But none of them ever had a bar named after them.

cmr27 said:
Besides wearing number 44, Konrad reminded me of Moose Johnston and, to a lesser degree, the under-rated Byron Abraham. He could move the pile and jolt a single defender at the point of attack. But Konrad had a key fumble late in the first half of the UT game as I recall. He went to the locker room right after and I don't recall him coming back until after the half. From the Dome Era, I'd put him behind Moose, Abraham, Morris, Drummond, David Walker and Mike Owens off the top of my head ahead of him. But none of them ever had a bar named after them.

I think you underrated Konrad. Probably because the expectations were so high for him. But he had a real good career and averaged over 5 ypc while bring a real good receiver out of the backfield. He also played 6 years in the NFL.

I think you underrated Konrad. Probably because the expectations were so high for him. But he had a real good career and averaged over 5 ypc while bring a real good receiver out of the backfield. He also played 6 years in the NFL.

He had a great career and must have paid attention in class because he put together a good career after football too. Good point about expectations. Konrad had them coming to SU and his first season, the 31-0 Gator Bowl year, was his best year. It further elevated expectations. We had Donnie and Konrad for three more years and everyone was so optimistic about SU football. Good times.

The fumbles were a real problem, and not just against Tennessee. Too bad, because there were times when Konrad looked unstoppable. Really great player in a lot of facets of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom