2-3 Zone | Syracusefan.com

2-3 Zone

Rage4CUSE

2018-19 Iggy Hoops NCAA Tourney Record
I wonder if our Fringe 1st round NBA draft picks are told that if they go back and spend another year practicing mainly zone that it hurts thier draft stock?

I really hope that Dion, MCW and Wes can help NBA execs overcome the "zone stigma". Not sure if it's real or just analyst talking points but 3 of our more recent high draft picks are all above average defenders.

I really hope that Dion, MCW and Wes can help NBA execs overcome the "zone stigma". Not sure if it's real or just analyst talking points but 3 of our more recent high draft picks are all above average defenders.

Jerami Grant would seem to have the potential to do this too. I can't say I watched much of the Sixers at all, so I don't know how his overall defense was and that team was so bad that even if he played great D it wouldn't matter. But he was one of the best shotblocking forwards in basketball, and made numerous SC highlight worthy blocks.

The reason why teams focus on your zone is because our offense is very similar to pro style offenses. Our offensive system gets our players drafted as high as it does. Our zone is not a pro style defense hence the questions, but it is as complicated as any pro style defense, because of the many adjustments within it so if a player shows the physical agility to play defense their draft position won't be effected. My guess is this is why Malachi did the drills and testing but not play in the games at the combine, if his back was hurt how could he do the drills?

The reason I believe Malachi is doing the right thing by staying in the draft is next years draft class is projected to be far better than this one, to the point where he can play better and lose spots in the draft.

I wonder if our Fringe 1st round NBA draft picks are told that if they go back and spend another year practicing mainly zone that it hurts thier draft stock?
It'll be a moot point in 2 years

It's been a moot point all along. Defense is more about the individual, not college system. Always has been, always will be.

Agreed...as with one's mindset and grit being the most critical commodity.

There is no "zone stigma" among NBA people; they wouldn't keep selecting these guys in the lottery if one existed. The stigma that exists is held by assorted media types and fans.

don't imagine you play a lot of zone defense in the d leagues. it's either man up or lose your bus seat.

There is no "zone stigma" among NBA people; they wouldn't keep selecting these guys in the lottery if one existed. The stigma that exists is held by assorted media types and fans.
I'd like to believe that. There's definitely a stigma from Barkley and Kenny Smith.

I'd like to believe that. There's definitely a stigma from Barkley and Kenny Smith.
That's one reason why I was thinking why my OP could be possible.

That's one reason why I was thinking why my OP could be possible.
I absolutely believe NBA folks at least used to warn SU prospects of going back to the zone. Not sure that's the case now. I'd love to think it isn't but I'm not naive to at least think it's a possibility.

I think this is the case. The problem is rather than do their homework and talk about interesting aspects in our players they make the same idiotic comments every single year. It's like what President Bush said, “See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom