2 locks to redshirt next year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2 locks to redshirt next year

Wait, so you're saying 18 yrs. v 17 yrs. is a more valuable determinant than the maturity of the individual? I'm pretty sure that since (a) BJ's grades are very much in order, (2) he's worked very hard to improve, gain weight, etc. and exhibits what sounds like exemplary off-season dedication, and (d) his Dad knows the drill and his parents / nuclear family are very stable and supportive... he'll be one of the more capable freshman on campus (not just the team) in terms of handling the manifold responsibilities that accompany college.

BJ's age concerns me not a whit, and I'm of the opinion that age isn't a material issue.

I agree about age. However, I do think that physical maturity is a big factor--and at the time he committed BJ was listed at 6-6 165 pounds. Doesn't mean that he hasn't improved that since last fall, but it would clearly be a factor in terms of his ability to contribute at the next level. Being "young" chronologically for his class might have something to do with it, but otherwise, I agree that age is just a number. If you can play, you can play.

Personally speaking, I think BJ is going to be a great player for us. Might not happen right off the bat, due to guys ahead of him on the depth chart / the aforementioned physical maturity limitation, but eventually he's going to be a stud. Wings with versatility / athleticism like BJ usually excel in our system.

I agree about age. However, I do think that physical maturity is a big factor--and at the time he committed BJ was listed at 6-6 165 pounds. Doesn't mean that he hasn't improved that since last fall, but it would clearly be a factor in terms of his ability to contribute at the next level. Being "young" chronologically for his class might have something to do with it, but otherwise, I agree that age is just a number. If you can play, you can play.

Personally speaking, I think BJ is going to be a great player for us. Might not happen right off the bat, due to guys ahead of him on the depth chart / the aforementioned physical maturity limitation, but eventually he's going to be a stud. Wings with versatility / athleticism like BJ usually excel in our system.
Oh I hear you on physical maturity - but to quote Smaug (from the novel): "Your information is antiquated." BJ is now 6'7" and 180 per his Dad.:) Hope this helps ally your concerns! Concur that he's made for our system.

(He should be 7'2" by the time he makes it on campus.)

Wait, so you're saying 18 yrs. v 17 yrs. is a more valuable determinant than the maturity of the individual? I'm pretty sure that since (a) BJ's grades are very much in order, (2) he's worked very hard to improve, gain weight, etc. and exhibits what sounds like exemplary off-season dedication, and (d) his Dad knows the drill and his parents / nuclear family are very stable and supportive... he'll be one of the more capable freshman on campus (not just the team) in terms of handling the manifold responsibilities that accompany college.

BJ's age concerns me not a whit, and I'm of the opinion that age isn't a material issue.

Correction.

Yes, I am. Most persons are more mature at 18 than they are at 17 - is what I am saying. It would be a problem for many 17 yr olds. I have no idea of BJ's maturity level, so I have no opinion on if he should RS or not.

You make it sound like it is all JBs decision. I think it is something talked about and mutually decided. There have been hints that JB and Chino have discussed the possiblities of what might happen. The logical deduction from these reports is that if Rak stays Chino will opt for the shirt.

There does not appear to have been any of those discussions with BJ (at least if you believe OGB to be his father and that he is relaying what has happened). Furthermore, from OGBs angle it does not really look like something they want. And from a team standpoint there is a skill that BJ could have (shooting, in particular the three) that he could use to compete for time with.

My opinion is there are no locks to red shirt and there really is only one possibility (Chino if Rak leaves).

Well a player can't demand to play, so essentially ti is JB's decision, (or the player would waste a year of eligibility). I'm sure he talks it over with the player. I'm not sure the absence of such a discussion as of April 15th means it won't happen. I'm just saying we have have no way of knowing what decisions will me made at this point.

Yes, I am. Most persons are more mature at 18 than they are at 17.
Wha...? So... when does this transition occur, on the 18th b'day? Is there some clear breakpoint where we see a significant step up in maturity? Are there comparable step ups for 19, 20, 21? I'm pretty sure I saw a totally unpredictable spread when I was in college (and for several years therafter, frankly).

I think there's a continuum over the years teen years and a graph of maturity v. age would yield a mess of a scatter plot.

Why am I arguing this point... must... stop reading... this board...

If I ever have a daughter... well, you're not welcome around. ;)
Ha Ha! Well played. It was tough to come up with a suitable reward, but... well, you've earned it:

backwards_540.jpg

Well a player can't demand to play, so essentially ti is JB's decision, (or the player would waste a year of eligibility). I'm sure he talks it over with the player. I'm not sure the absence of such a discussion as of April 15th means it won't happen. I'm just saying we have have no way of knowing what decisions will me made at this point.

I think in Cooney's case a couple years ago, it wasn't decided until fall practice had started and Trevor saw where he was at, compared to the other players. I think that happens sometimes, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom