2 locks to redshirt next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2 locks to redshirt next year

I only felt that Chino would RS due to his foot injury, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I think SU will lose a couple of more players in the next month or two that'll make the roster make more sense. JB didn't bring in a 5-man class just because he was losing MCW to the draft.

Unfortuntally you are most likely correct.

Johnson and Obokoh are locks to redshirt

Johnson will only be 17 next fall and he will have Fair, Grant and Roberson ahead of him

Obokoh is not ready for D-1 ball and we have Rak, DC2 and Baye

BJ's dad is set against his son red-shirting. He thinks his son can compete next year. I hope he's right. We can use another shooter on the floor. I don't know if he'll be up to the defensive requirements, personally, but they are going to try to crack the rotation. You never know. There's always a surprise or two in a recruiting class.

Thanks, Tee and Hak.
Can't wait to have them both in uniform.

Johnson and Obokoh are locks to redshirt

Johnson will only be 17 next fall and he will have Fair, Grant and Roberson ahead of him

Obokoh is not ready for D-1 ball and we have Rak, DC2 and Baye

We'll pass that on to JB.

BJ's dad is set against his son red-shirting. He thinks his son can compete next year. I hope he's right. We can use another shooter on the floor. I don't know if he'll be up to the defensive requirements, personally, but they are going to try to crack the rotation. You never know. There's always a surprise or two in a recruiting class.

No offense, but a lot of the back up for bj coming in to contribute is based on what his dad says. My dad thought I was great at football. And baseball. And wrestling. I'm sure your dad also thought you should start in just about anything. As a dad now I see why. That's why your someone's dad. All this speculation is great entertainment. Rak is def leaving. Rak is staying and playing point. Grant is now eight feet tall. All of the freshman will redshirt or simultaneously they will all win the heisman.

In the last five years which freshman have lived up to the hype? Jonny come to mind and that's about it. What is more likely with this program is someone making a leap from freshman to sophomore year (kjo) or soph to junior year (Andy).

Ennis will play because he has to. One or two other freshman will get significant minutes while one will be a surprise with how good he is and another will be considered a disappointment based on the hype. November is a long way from now. And luckily for us so is January. Apparently we will have talent next year. We now just have to see if they can pay basketball together.

No offense, but a lot of the back up for bj coming in to contribute is based on what his dad says. My dad thought I was great at football. And baseball. And wrestling. I'm sure your dad also thought you should start in just about anything. As a dad now I see why. That's why your someone's dad. All this speculation is great entertainment. Rak is def leaving. Rak is staying and playing point. Grant is now eight feet tall. All of the freshman will redshirt or simultaneously they will all win the heisman.

In the last five years which freshman have lived up to the hype? Jonny come to mind and that's about it. What is more likely with this program is someone making a leap from freshman to sophomore year (kjo) or soph to junior year (Andy).

Ennis will play because he has to. One or two other freshman will get significant minutes while one will be a surprise with how good he is and another will be considered a disappointment based on the hype. November is a long way from now. And luckily for us so is January. Apparently we will have talent next year. We now just have to see if they can pay basketball together.
No, a lot of the support for BJ comes from watching video of his games, seeing his performance against Jefferson and other top flight competition in winning the state championship. That plus the fact that he's really well positioned to be a 6'7" 2 guard in our system.

I don't think most of us are saying he'll start from day 1 or be all-ACC. I think we're saying he will contribute in some meaningful way as a freshman, but those contributions may be limited. We're also saying that a redshirt isn't in the works.

No, a lot of the support for BJ comes from watching video of his games, seeing his performance against Jefferson and other top flight competition in winning the state championship. That plus the fact that he's really well positioned to be a 6'7" 2 guard in our system.

I don't think most of us are saying he'll start from day 1 or be all-ACC. I think we're saying he will contribute in some meaningful way as a freshman, but those contributions may be limited. We're also saying that a redshirt isn't in the works.

First off, BJ was outplayed by Rondae in 3/4 contests in 2 years. 2nd, the time BJ put up a good performance vs. Chester, BJ and Rondae rarely were in one on one situations. LM chose to put Justin their 6'3 or 6'4 junior on Rondae in most situations not handled by their 1 3 1 zone.

Are you saying BJ didn't have good performances recently against Jefferson and top-flight competition?

I didn't say these were 1-on-1 "wars", I'm saying that BJ performed well.

This is not on what I say but what the Head Coach and is assistants say. I only post stuff to have some of the peeps to see him as he was not in the area for most to see. I am not the coach but I do know talent when I see it be it my son or not.

To me, although BJ can rebound, play defense, he might be more of a perimeter player especially early at the Cuse.
Roberson, although he has many ways to score in his arsenal, projects more of a SF/PF right now whereas I feel BJ is a SG/SF.

In other words, if I wanted someone to:
Shoot from deep, play up top of the 2-3 - BJ
Rebound, contest shots, score in the paint, play the wings of the 2-3 - Tyler

Then again, I'm not coach. :)

And Tyler is probably 6'8 plus now. He was just as tall as the opposition's "6'9" center when I saw him live a while back.
Somebody Tee this guy up so he is at a 100% post to like ratio-6 to go!

some of you amaze me- the effort to try and force down optimism makes no sense to me. Many of us were excited about BJ from seeing his highlights and clips far before his dad started posting here. He has all the characteristics of a classic su wing player. He also has something we desperately need and that is a nice outside shot. He is not the same player as rondae- so assessing them against one another without paying homage to how they play their style of game is silly. I trust the staff and in what my eyes tell me. Of course its a marathon vs a sprint for freshman in most cases. I fully expect BJ like all incoming frosh to incur some growing pains and struggle here and there. As for redshirting, its pretty clear the 2g spot is wide open and will need to have a settled rotation this year- therefore setting aside someone based upon expectations vs performance makes little sense.

First off, BJ was outplayed by Rondae in 3/4 contests in 2 years. 2nd, the time BJ put up a good performance vs. Chester, BJ and Rondae rarely were in one on one situations. LM chose to put Justin their 6'3 or 6'4 junior on Rondae in most situations not handled by their 1 3 1 zone.
Let me explain this to you again if you didn't get it the first time. In the first couple of match ups last year, BJ was always guarded by their best defender Rondae and their second best defender in which BJ as a junior was held to 6 and 7 points. We lost by 6 and 33pts in the districts and states in 2012. Everything was good in da hood. This year the same defensive tactics were applied in the two contests this year but the differences were that in the first match BJ has good looks but missed shots. He finished with 11pts, 11rebs Rondae 13pts, 13rebs. I wouldn't exactly say that he outplayed BJ. In fact despite the poor shooting game that BJ had according to people who look at the game from a very experienced basketball level stated that BJ was still the best player on the floor from a talent point. In the Chip BJ clearly made a statement and outplayed Rondae which was not hard to do in the first place once they figured it out. Secondly, I call it like I see it and don't Dick Ride the Popular Vote/Player. Thirdly, Their coach stated that they overlooked BJ in the Championship game. How in the do you Overlook the teams Best player Since Kobe Bryant. But they didn't in the previous matchups but he had bad outings. Give me a ing Break with the nonsense. Like I said before Chester along with Rondae and anybody else was not that good to me in the last two year from a talent standpoint. They just tried to outlast you from hustling mentality. Being from SP and the projects, I know the determination of their team but do sit here and say that BJ did not compete and play them as instructed. If you know anything about Hoops and these 4games you would know that Chester cannot shoot so you play zone and we also played a triangle and two on their teams best players with Justin and Raheem in the districts for a spell which worked during the first half. Your just like just about everyone else was a front runner with them suckers and lost just like everyone else in the state who ran with them. So I say if your not on the train for the long hull then you are on the tracks. So guess which team and mcd's and jb classic player went out like willie lump lump while the others celebrated with a CHAMPS victory parade today. Tell Rondae to outplay that!!!

Let me explain this to you again if you didn't get it the first time. In the first couple of match ups last year, BJ was always guarded by their best defender Rondae and their second best defender in which BJ as a junior was held to 6 and 7 points. We lost by 6 and 33pts in the districts and states in 2012. Everything was good in da hood. This year the same defensive tactics were applied in the two contests this year but the differences were that in the first match BJ has good looks but missed shots. He finished with 11pts, 11rebs Rondae 13pts, 13rebs. I wouldn't exactly say that he outplayed BJ. In fact despite the poor shooting game that BJ had according to people who look at the game from a very experienced basketball level stated that BJ was still the best player on the floor from a talent point. In the Chip BJ clearly made a statement and outplayed Rondae which was not hard to do in the first place once they figured it out. Secondly, I call it like I see it and don't Dick Ride the Popular Vote/Player. Thirdly, Their coach stated that they overlooked BJ in the Championship game. How in the do you Overlook the teams Best player Since Kobe Bryant. But they didn't in the previous matchups but he had bad outings. Give me a Break with the nonsense. Like I said before Chester along with Rondae and anybody else was not that good to me in the last two year from a talent standpoint. They just tried to outlast you from hustling mentality. Being from SP and the projects, I know the determination of their team but do sit here and say that BJ did not compete and play them as instructed. If you know anything about Hoops and these 4games you would know that Chester cannot shoot so you play zone and we also played a triangle and two on their teams best players with Justin and Raheem in the districts for a spell which worked during the first half. Your just like just about everyone else was a front runner with them suckers and lost just like everyone else in the state who ran with them. So I say if your not on the train for the long hull then you are on the tracks. So guess which team and mcd's and jb classic along with his time went out like willie lump lump while the others celebrated with a CHAMPS victory parade today. Tell Rondae to outplay that!!!
I love your passion Bobby, I'm sure it's rubbed off on your son! I can't wait to see him in Orange!

CHAMPS PARADE was a HUGE SUCCESS! Hopefully its contagious at SUball!!
parade 3.jpg

Let me explain this to you again if you didn't get it the first time. In the first couple of match ups last year, BJ was always guarded by their best defender Rondae and their second best defender in which BJ as a junior was held to 6 and 7 points. We lost by 6 and 33pts in the districts and states in 2012. Everything was good in da hood. This year the same defensive tactics were applied in the two contests this year but the differences were that in the first match BJ has good looks but missed shots. He finished with 11pts, 11rebs Rondae 13pts, 13rebs. I wouldn't exactly say that he outplayed BJ. In fact despite the poor shooting game that BJ had according to people who look at the game from a very experienced basketball level stated that BJ was still the best player on the floor from a talent point. In the Chip BJ clearly made a statement and outplayed Rondae which was not hard to do in the first place once they figured it out. Secondly, I call it like I see it and don't Dick Ride the Popular Vote/Player. Thirdly, Their coach stated that they overlooked BJ in the Championship game. How in the do you Overlook the teams Best player Since Kobe Bryant. But they didn't in the previous matchups but he had bad outings. Give me a Break with the nonsense. Like I said before Chester along with Rondae and anybody else was not that good to me in the last two year from a talent standpoint. They just tried to outlast you from hustling mentality. Being from SP and the projects, I know the determination of their team but do sit here and say that BJ did not compete and play them as instructed. If you know anything about Hoops and these 4games you would know that Chester cannot shoot so you play zone and we also played a triangle and two on their teams best players with Justin and Raheem in the districts for a spell which worked during the first half. Your just like just about everyone else was a front runner with them suckers and lost just like everyone else in the state who ran with them. So I say if your not on the train for the long hull then you are on the tracks. So guess which team and mcd's and jb classic player went out like willie lump lump while the others celebrated with a CHAMPS victory parade today. Tell Rondae to outplay that!!!

If this post isn't the typed/internet forum version of this dunk, then I don't know what is!!! Great post OG!! BOO YAH!!!

CJ Dunk.jpg

Sorry if repeating but I just couldn't read anymore without chiming in. First, why do some of you always want to redshirt somebody? You redshirt someone for 3 reasons:
  1. They are injured.
  2. They are not ready to contribute.
  3. They are buried on the depth chart.
  4. They have no individual skill the team needs right now.
Cooney, our last redshirt definitely fit into #3 as our 5th guard that year, also maybe a little of #2. Right now BJ is one of only 4 forwards on the team. If, IF, Rak is back he could, COULD, get some minutes at the 4 but his skill set and BJ's are the exact opposite (don't tell me Rak won't get any minutes at the 4, I too prefer him at the 5 but he started many games at the 4 this season so it must be considered a possibility next season). By all account BJ is "ready". I've seen too many skinny, tough Philly kids play for Nova and LaSalle over the years to discout his being ready. He will be the 4th forward and really only the 2nd small forward. He can shoot. Kids that can shoot get to play (as long as they can play the defense too). Even with Cooney, Gbinje, Ennis and Fair, this team could use more shooting (Grant will surprise people in this area).

Oboko may fit into #2, does fit into #3 if Rak is back, don't know about #4. I doubt rebounding or shot blocking is an issue for SU next year, not sure what else he could contribute right now. If Rak does indeed leave, then no way Oboko shirts (not sure we can get 40 minutes combined between DC and Baye without them both fouling out;) .

Sorry if repeating but I just couldn't read anymore without chiming in. First, why do some of you always want to redshirt somebody? You redshirt someone for 3 reasons:
  1. They are injured.
Cooney, our last redshirt definitely fit into #3 as our 5th guard that year, also maybe a little of #2. Right now BJ is one of only 4 forwards on the team. If, IF, Rak is back he could, COULD, get some minutes at the 4 but his skill set and BJ's are the exact opposite (don't tell me Rak won't get any minutes at the 4, I too prefer him at the 5 but he started many games at the 4 this season so it must be considered a possibility next season). By all account BJ is "ready". I've seen too many skinny, tough Philly kids play for Nova and LaSalle over the years to discout his being ready. He will be the 4th forward and really only the 2nd small forward. He can shoot. Kids that can shoot get to play (as long as they can play the defense too). Even with Cooney, Gbinje, Ennis and Fair, this team could use more shooting (Grant will surprise people in this area).

Oboko may fit into #2, does fit into #3 if Rak is back, don't know about #4. I doubt rebounding or shot blocking is an issue for SU next year, not sure what else he could contribute right now. If Rak does indeed leave, then no way Oboko shirts (not sure we can get 40 minutes combined between DC and Baye without them both fouling out;) .
The staff have BJ as a 2-3 in the scheme of things.

1. They are injured.

JB likes to have about 10 recruited scholarship guys so he can have them go 5 on 5 in practice. He'll eventually settle on 7-8 guys for his rotation. He doesn't like to go above 10 or he's wasting a player's eligibility and he's got a guy sitting around grumbling because he doesn't play. But he has gone as high as 11 active guys before and he could again. Here's what we've got now:

Centers: Christmas (?), Keita, Coleman, Obokoh

Forwards: Fair, Grant, Roberson, Johnson

Guards: Ennis, Gbinije, Cooney, Patterson

Obokoh's the obvious one to redshirt but if Christmas leaves, as has been rumored, JB might keep him active. I don't think JB wants to go with 3 guards again after what happened vs. Michigan. With Gbinije we could get by with 3 forwards. I think it will come down to readiness and needs. If JB feels Johnson needs a year to build himself up for the college game and Cooney finds his shot or Gbinije/Ennis/ Fair/ Roberson give us enough of an outside game, he could decide to redshirt BJ. Four centers is too many for one position but four forwards and guards are not too many for two positions.

I doubt he has made any decision on that at this point so anything we say is just speculation.

I think the sun rising tomorrow is a "lock"
Me having a cold one tonight, a "lock"
BOTH Chino and BJ redshirting this season?
a "lock"
NOT...

JB likes to have about 10 recruited scholarship guys so he can have them go 5 on 5 in practice. He'll eventually settle on 7-8 guys for his rotation. He doesn't like to go above 10 or he's wasting a player's eligibility and he's got a guy sitting around grumbling because he doesn't play. But he has gone as high as 11 active guys before and he could again. Here's what we've got now:

Obokoh's the obvious one to redshirt but if Christmas leaves, as has been rumored, JB might keep him active. I don't think JB wants to go with 3 guards again after what happened vs. Michigan. With Gbinije we could get by with 3 forwards. I think it will come down to readiness and needs. If JB feels Johnson needs a year to build himself up for the college game and Cooney finds his shot or Gbinije/Ennis/ Fair/ Roberson give us enough of an outside game, he could decide to redshirt BJ. Four centers is too many for one position but four forwards and guards are not too many for two positions.

I doubt he has made any decision on that at this point so anything we say is just speculation.

You make it sound like it is all JBs decision. I think it is something talked about and mutually decided. There have been hints that JB and Chino have discussed the possiblities of what might happen. The logical deduction from these reports is that if Rak stays Chino will opt for the shirt.

There does not appear to have been any of those discussions with BJ (at least if you believe OGB to be his father and that he is relaying what has happened). Furthermore, from OGBs angle it does not really look like something they want. And from a team standpoint there is a skill that BJ could have (shooting, in particular the three) that he could use to compete for time with.

My opinion is there are no locks to red shirt and there really is only one possibility (Chino if Rak leaves).

If our coaches redshirt kids based on Age rather than need to develop they may as well let us choose who is redshirted. You use the term locks yet you fail to see that BJ is really a 2 or 3 which may help him work into the rotation at the 2 spot which niether Fair nor Grant play. Why dont we let them get on campus before we start declaring them as locks to redshirt.

I think the age issue is valid. It is not just a BB skill issue - it's a question of if he can handle so much change and responsibility at such a young age. I went to college when I was 17 and it was a liability even without playing sports.

I think the age issue is valid. It is not just a BB skill issue - it's a question of it he can handle so much change and responsibility at such a young age. I went to college when I was 17 and it was a liability even without playing sports.
Wait, so you're saying 18 yrs. v 17 yrs. is a more valuable determinant than the maturity of the individual? I'm pretty sure that since (a) BJ's grades are very much in order, (2) he's worked very hard to improve, gain weight, etc. and exhibits what sounds like exemplary off-season dedication, and (d) his Dad knows the drill and his parents / nuclear family are very stable and supportive... he'll be one of the more capable freshman on campus (not just the team) in terms of handling the manifold responsibilities that accompany college.

BJ's age concerns me not a whit, and I'm of the opinion that age isn't a material issue.

Wait, so you're saying 18 yrs. v 17 yrs. is a more valuable determinant than the maturity of the individual? I'm pretty sure that since (a) BJ's grades are very much in order, (2) he's worked very hard to improve, gain weight, etc. and exhibits what sounds like exemplary off-season dedication, and (d) his Dad knows the drill and his parents / nuclear family are very stable and supportive... he'll be one of the more capable freshman on campus (not just the team) in terms of handling the manifold responsibilities that accompany college.

BJ's age concerns me not a whit, and I'm of the opinion that age isn't a material issue.

I agree - don't see where age plays a big role. Its really about experience and that includes on the court/ off the court/ personality/support system ... etc. Players grow from experience. How well a freshman does coming in is part preparedness and part personality. If history tells us anything its that kids coming out of Philly are rarely phased by being a young frosh in the spotlight. I love the fact we are bringing in a philly guard/forward. As someone who has lived in that area ( lived there for a few summers with family) and have family in that area there is just a natural toughness that comes out of this region. In away very similar to players who come out of Baltimore. In many ways they have become what we used to always expect coming out of NYC. Not that NYC isn't kicking out talent like usual but you just get that toughness/moxy from the kids in philly/bmore.

You make it sound like it is all JBs decision. I think it is something talked about and mutually decided. There have been hints that JB and Chino have discussed the possiblities of what might happen. The logical deduction from these reports is that if Rak stays Chino will opt for the shirt.

There does not appear to have been any of those discussions with BJ (at least if you believe OGB to be his father and that he is relaying what has happened). Furthermore, from OGBs angle it does not really look like something they want. And from a team standpoint there is a skill that BJ could have (shooting, in particular the three) that he could use to compete for time with.

My opinion is there are no locks to red shirt and there really is only one possibility (Chino if Rak leaves).

There's no reason to doubt BJ's dad. I'm sure Boeheim told him he would give BJ an opportunity to earn minutes this year. He could crack the rotation, or we wouldn't have offered a scholarship. BJ continues to bulk up. He's young, but if he keeps working hard, he could be a big surprise in the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom