2 random thoughts | Syracusefan.com

2 random thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Rewatched part of the game. Something that I missed the 1st time. Tyrell Richards almost ran down the Punt Returner all the way across the field. Shows me 2 things about him. 1. He is someone who will hustle and not give up on a play. 2. What an athlete for a guy his size.

I also wonder if Devito proving himself on the field again makes it tougher for Dino to leave. If he is convinced we are set at the most important position for the next 3.5 years, that is very attractive for a HC. Believe part of what attracted him to this job in the 1st place was having Dungey for 3 more years.

Last edited:
Richards, Custis and Shy are three absolute alphas in our special teams. If you watch, nearly a third of the protection needs to key in on these three. At the end of every punt I often see multiple opposing players struggling in richards face

Richards is a guy to watch for next year. He plays a hybrid spy role on third downs now. Hopefully, he develops into an every down LB next year.

yep and that role I think started in the Clemson game - at least that's when I noticed it. Seems to be increasing.

Richards just reminds me of the bully Clemson , LSU, and FSU linebackers that used to embarrass some of our players when we first entered the ACC. Just a superior athlete.

Dino is not going anywhere. He's already at an ACC school. He will be 58 years old before the 2019 season starts. He still has 5 games this season to play before this year can be considered a success or merely a small step forward. So he is already near the top of his profession, he is old in a business looking for 'hot' 35 year old gurus and he still has not completed a winning season here. I like Dino but he will not be any coaching lists at programs considered better than SU at this point. SU will extend him anyway.

Dino is not going anywhere. He's already at an ACC school. He will be 58 years old before the 2019 season starts. He still has 5 games this season to play before this year can be considered a success or merely a small step forward. So he is already near the top of his profession, he is old in a business looking for 'hot' 35 year old gurus and he still has not completed a winning season here. I like Dino but he will not be any coaching lists at programs considered better than SU at this point. SU will extend him anyway.
Agree completely.

We don’t know what will happen and prognosticating on if he will stay or go is a waste of time. I’ll enjoy while coach D is here and what will be, will be.

Richards just reminds me of the bully Clemson , LSU, and FSU linebackers that used to embarrass some of our players when we first entered the ACC. Just a superior athlete.
Coleman was doing that job at the start of the year, so that's good sign!

Richards is a guy to watch for next year. He plays a hybrid spy role on third downs now. Hopefully, he develops into an every down LB next year.
He could be a great mike or at least he has the Tools to be a great mike.

Rewatched part of the game. Something that I missed the 1st time. Tyrell Richards almost ran down the Punt Returner all the way across the field. Shows me 2 things about him. 1. He is someone who will hustle and not give up on a play. 2. What an athlete for a guy his size.

I also wonder if Devito proving himself on the field again makes it tougher for Dino to leave. If he is convinced we are set at the most important position for the next 3.5 years, that is very attractive for a HC. Believe part of what attracted him to this job in the 1st place was having Dungey for 3 more years.
Why does everyone keep talking about Dino leaving. He has 2x 4-8 yrs for any P5 school and is presently 5-2 with a very tough schedule coming up. He has no bowl appearances nor bowl victories. Let him prove to be a consistent winner at a P5 school before anyone will look at him. Sheesh.

When has a successful SU coach in a major sport ever left for another college job?

This...

When has a successful SU coach in a major sport ever left for another college job?
Roy Danforth. I agree he doesn't go anywhere this offseason unless he finishes great and USC puts the full court press on.

Why does everyone keep talking about Dino leaving. He has 2x 4-8 yrs for any P5 school and is presently 5-2 with a very tough schedule coming up. He has no bowl appearances nor bowl victories. Let him prove to be a consistent winner at a P5 school before anyone will look at him. Sheesh.

*very* tough?

*very* tough?
For a Syracuse program 2018 it is. We have not been proven to be a consistent winner in over 20 yrs. Every game will be close and a struggle. We don't have the talent to take the field on anyone and twiddle our thumbs and half ass it to victory.

I really want Richards to stick at LB. A little more good mass and strength and he could be a really special player.

For a Syracuse program 2018 it is. We have not been proven to be a consistent winner in over 20 yrs. Every game will be close and a struggle. We don't have the talent to take the field on anyone and twiddle our thumbs and half ass it to victory.

Pretty much nobody sans 'Bama has that sort of talent to half ass a victory against anyone else.

That said, we're going to be favored over Wake on the road, and pretty big over Llvll in the dome.

ND will be a longshot, but NCState is a pick'em. and BC might end up similar if AJ Dillon remains out.

If you want to put the weight of 20 years of sucking on this team, go for it. But how many teams in those last 20 years started 5-2? How many of those years did we have 2 very good QBs?

But if you're looking at how teams have actually played this year? Wake is #98 and Louisville is #97 in S&P+. We have a 66% and 67% chance against those two teams.

We have got to play well. I'm assuming they will.

If you want to put the weight of 20 years of sucking on this team, go for it. But how many teams in those last 20 years started 5-2? How many of those years did we have 2 very good QBs?

But if you're looking at how teams have actually played this year? Wake is #98 and Louisville is #97 in S&P+. We have a 66% and 67% chance against those two teams.

We have got to play well. I'm assuming they will.
I'm not assuming anything with this team. Assume and u make an ass out of u...got my point.