2003 one shining moment-Where were you? | Syracusefan.com

2003 one shining moment-Where were you?

I was at my house and my buddies who I just went down to Charlotte with were there too!

I was in Albany the previous weekend for the Auburn and Oklahoma games. The arena was insane! It was back when the "Hey Song" was still played by the band. The sweet people from down in Oklahoma had no idea what they were getting themselves into. I miss those days! When attending tournaments you see how the SU Pep Band typically pales in comparison to the other team bands as far as crowd interaction goes.

It was never more apparent than in Buffalo when Cuse played Dayton in 2014. Their band was getting their crowd into the game with catchy tunes etc. Think of the movie Drumline where the other band was playing popular crowd friendly songs and our band was playing classical stuff. If there was ever a game Cuse fans needed some energy that was it because the basketball was boring for sure.

I was with my girlfriend in Ohio watching the game at her house. I had just learned that I received a GA for grad school to SU and it was tough knowing we were going to part ways.

In the end, the best decision of my life to be a Syracuse grad!

Watching with our friends with whom we watched all six of the tournament games. It was so much fun! I demanded to stay at their house long enough to watch One Shining Moment. They had NEVER seen it before, mainly because they worked very early hours and were always in bed by ten. My husband wanted to go down to Marshall St, but I vetoed that. I remember lying in bed until 3 a.m. listening to local radio play We Are the Champions over and over.

7th grade. Watched championship game in my basement. Showed up late to school the next day.

Actually, for round 1 I called my dad from a school phone and told him I wanted to go home to watch the game (early afternoon game). With essentially no questions asked, he picked me up in a Syracuse van (works there). I didn't tell anyone I was leaving. Just got up and walked outside into a van. Imagine that happening these days?

In the Dome. That was the ice storm weekend when the power and cable went out. I had to go to watch the final four game against Texas at the Dome and had so much fun I went back Monday for the NC. I was in the middle of the second row in front of the the center screen.

In the Super Dome. I don't know what row I sat in but it was floor level. John Wooden sat in my row on the other side of my section. He was really frail and had to be carried to his seat but he was there.

Rony Seikaly sat directly behind me and cried like a baby.

I had to blink away some tears too when it finally happened.

One Shining Moment is tough to watch in person when your team is featured. It was surreal in that almost no one was talking to each other or interacting with each other at all. Almost everyone was using their phone to take pictures or videos, or talking to someone someplace else.

The erstwhile Park Bench Pub in DC with a bunch of other crazed fans. Some of us stood along a bench and held hands the last few seconds. Well, not held so much as clutched and cut off the circulation in places. DCCuse was there also!

Saw us roll through the Elite 8 in person. The energy was great. We started strong and the crowd stayed engaged the entire time

Back on campus for the final 4. Remember snow falling as we exited Darwin's and everyone was going nuts

At a bar in NYC for the final. Place was packed to the brim. DC was there. Spotted him after the game ended and shook his hand. He was on the phone with someone, and we all said it was Boeheim. I think it really was.

Great memories

In the basement of our home out in the middle of nowhere here in Ontario. The only scream I made louder than when Warrick blocked that shot was when Heinrich's last shot missed the net. My wife was sleeping upstairs and probably thought I was nuts. Surprised I didn't punch my fists through the ceiling when I was jumping so much. What a night.

In the Super Dome. I don't know what row I sat in but it was floor level. John Wooden sat in my row on the other side of my section. He was really frail and had to be carried to his seat but he was there.

Rony Seikaly sat directly behind me and cried like a baby.

I had to blink away some tears too when it finally happened.

One Shining Moment is tough to watch in person when your team is featured. It was surreal in that almost no one was talking to each other or interacting with each other at all. Almost everyone was using their phone to take pictures or videos, or talking to someone someplace else.
Ha. The ticket buying frenzy Sunday - Monday afternoon was crazy. People buying, trading up...etc. some of us ended up with great seats.

I might have shed a tear...I was definitely shaking the final 2 minutes...and because of where I was sitting it looked like Kueth Duany reached up and grabbed the final shot above the rim. I thought it was goaltending for a fraction of a second.

Then all hell broke loose...

In New Orleans at the game, sitting next to Tomcat. Obnoxious guy sitting next to us on Saturday night... was wearing a Texas tee-shirt. Same obnoxious guy sitting next to us on Monday night ... was wearing a Kansas tee-shirt.

So nice that he was a two-time loser

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom