Block Head
Total Attendance: 122,505
Average Attendance: 24,501

Cornell: 24,788
Fordham: 22,667
Colgate: 25,519
St. Francis: 23,117
Indiana: 26,414

13 home games remaining. Next three home games will likely be 'sparsely' attended by this years standard (Binghamton, High Point, & Eastern Michigan).

Three games that will should break the 30k:
Duke we can assume 35K+
UNC will likely be 33K+ if not more
'Nova, recent history says 30k+

1990 was the all time leading attendance record in the NCAA for men's basketball at 29,918.

Any chance we break that record this year? If not, what place will this year fall?
My guess is NO with average attendance around 26,500 (6th place all time, not too shabby)

All time leading attendance records:
TEAM LEADERS BY AVERAGE ATTENDANCE
School YR Game Total Average

Syracuse †1990 16 478,686 29,918
Syracuse †1991 17 497,179 29,246
Syracuse †1988 16 461,223 28,826
Syracuse †1989 19 537,949 28,313
Syracuse †1992 17 460,752 27,103
Syracuse †1986 19 498,850 26,255
Syracuse †1985 15 388,049 25,870
Syracuse †1993 16 405,620 25,351
Syracuse †1987 19 474,214 24,959
Syracuse †1994 17 419,039 24,649
Syracuse †1995 16 387,925 24,245
FYI 2012 was #10 ranked in Total Attendance but didn't crack the top 20 in Ave. Attendance
Syracuse †2012 19 448,736 23,618

Link to data

I love the "announced" attendance numbers, but some of the games have been nowhere close to that actual number. Dome still rocks though.

Total Attendance: 122,505
13 home games remaining. Next three home games will likely be 'sparsely' attended by this years standard (Binghamton, High Point, & Eastern Michigan).

Link to data

Villanova is before E. Michigan. That game is on a Satuday -- even without the students I would expect a pretty good crowd for that one.

I honestly expected better than 6th all time with our home schedule this year. Of course, I probably won't get to any games so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I love the "announced" attendance numbers, but some of the games have been nowhere close to that actual number. Dome still rocks though.

Its a game my son and I play all the time. What will they announce and how many people are actually in the dome. After watching hoops games for 30 years in the Dome I usually am pretty close

I was at Cornell and Indiana, and there were at least 8000 more people in the Dome for the hoosiers. the fact that the official numbers show less than 1700 difference is hilarious.

After one of our many attendance threads in October, I ran off some predictions based on recent history and what we'd need to surpass Kentucky's average from last season. So far, we're ahead of pace (helped greatly by increased season-ticket sales).

Date Day Opponent Gate (Predicted) (Actual)

11/8/2013 Friday Cornell 23,500 24,788

11/12/2013 Tuesday Fordham 18,000 22,667

11/16/2013 Saturday Colgate 23,000 25,519

11/18/2013 Monday St. Francis 19,000 23,117

12/3/2013 Tuesday Indiana 24,000 26,414

12/7/2013 Saturday Binghamton 24,000

12/20/2013 Friday High Point 20,000

12/28/2013 Saturday Villanova 25,000

12/31/2013 Tuesday (3:00 p.m.) Eastern Michigan 18,000

1/4/2014 Saturday Miami 22,000

1/11/2014 Saturday North Carolina 31,000

1/18/2014 Saturday Pittsburgh 30,000

2/1/2014 Saturday Duke 35,000

2/3/2014 Monday Notre Dame 24,000

2/9/2013 Sunday Clemson 27,000

2/15/2013 Saturday North Carolina State 27,000

2/19/2014 Wednesday Boston College 24,000

3/4/2014 Tuesday Georgia Tech 24,000

High Point and Eastern Michigan will be very small crowds, maybe a little below Fordham. Expecting a decent showing for Binghamton; we've usually done well on the last Saturday before exams. If Kentucky and Arizona lose (does Arizona even play before our tip?), we could get an additional bump.

I was at Cornell and Indiana, and there were at least 8000 more people in the Dome for the hoosiers. the fact that the official numbers show less than 1700 difference is hilarious.

Can't say I agree with that perception. Check out the density in the crowd photos:

http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gal...all_2013-14_syracuse_vs_cornell/index.html#/0
http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gal...all_2013-14_syracuse_vs_indiana/index.html#/0

For Indiana, we had a couple hundred seats sold in 301 and several hundred people seated higher up in 317 (above the Tops Family Section, which was empty for both games). Similar density downstairs; ~80% filled in the bleachers and 113/114, full in the student section and behind the benches. Same for both games in the student overflow in 303/304.

From where I sit (our section bets on the announced attendance each night), Cornell and Indiana have been the two crowds with the lowest percentage of no-shows; tickets sold looked to be in the ballpark for both games.

Can't say I agree with that perception. Check out the density in the crowd photos:

http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gal...all_2013-14_syracuse_vs_cornell/index.html#/0
http://photos.syracuse.com/4456/gal...all_2013-14_syracuse_vs_indiana/index.html#/0

For Indiana, we had a couple hundred seats sold in 301 and several hundred people seated higher up in 317 (above the Tops Family Section, which was empty for both games). Similar density downstairs; ~80% filled in the bleachers and 113/114, full in the student section and behind the benches. Same for both games in the student overflow in 303/304.

From where I sit (our section bets on the announced attendance each night), Cornell and Indiana have been the two crowds with the lowest percentage of no-shows; tickets sold looked to be in the ballpark for both games.

agree to disagree. no biggie.
the bleachers had a bunch of empties on opening night, and from where i sat, hardly any for Indiana. It was also much fuller up top. thats what i saw with my two eyes. maybe i need glasses.

agree to disagree. no biggie.
the bleachers had a bunch of empties on opening night, and from where i sat, hardly any for Indiana. It was also much fuller up top. thats what i saw with my two eyes. maybe i need glasses.

Could look very different from the other side of the building, too, of course. For all I know, I'm in the empty side looking at the full side.

not sure the low attendance numbers will go down much for High point.. how many singles did we sell for that game ? unless its a function of student ticket sales. if they hype the villanova game at all it will have a good crowd. i dont think we can get a crowd under 20K with the season tickets we sold.

The economy was much better in the 90s. If the economy were not so bad the last four years would have blown out previous records!

not sure the low attendance numbers will go down much for High point.. how many singles did we sell for that game ? unless its a function of student ticket sales. if they hype the villanova game at all it will have a good crowd. i dont think we can get a crowd under 20K with the season tickets we sold.

My guess is that the ~21,000 season ticket number drops for Christmas break games, since some of those are student seats that technically don't exist for those games. In recent years, 104 and 103 have been about a quarter full (of single-game sales) and numbers have been down. Because of that, I'd guess High Point is our low point.

The economy was much better in the 90s. If the economy were not so bad the last four years would have blown out previous records!

um - it's not that bad - stop watching so much FoxNews. The population has actually increased in CNY during the last decade.

A lot of things have changed since the 90's. HDTV, ESPN covering most of the games, the explosion of the internet, Family Guy.

At what point did TWC start televising all home games? It has certainly had an effect on ticket sales but I have no idea to what extent and what year it started.

um - it's not that bad - stop watching so much FoxNews. The population has actually increased in CNY during the last decade.

A lot of things have changed since the 90's. HDTV, ESPN covering most of the games, the explosion of the internet, Family Guy.

I think economics has a lot to do with it. Politics is such an ugly topic. "No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up. " Just for the record, I never watch Faux News.

If you think the economy is better now than in the 90s I refer you to google and watch the video "wealth disparity in america video". Watch it and weep! We each have a right to our own opinions, but we do not have a right to our own facts. We may disagree what the facts mean but the facts can never be opinions. And you may not like my opinions but my opinions can never be false or lies.

"Antonio Gramsci repeatedly cites the aphorism, “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will” (which he ascribed to the novelist Romain Rolland). In one of his letters, he expanded the idea: “The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned … I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.” "

My intellect tells me our problems are nearly impossible to resolve. But my will refuses to give in. No matter how grim it gets, it is irrational to think possibility no longer exists.

I think economics has a lot to do with it. Politics is such an ugly topic. "No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up. " Just for the record, I never watch Faux News.

If you think the economy is better now than in the 90s I refer you to google and watch the video "wealth disparity in america video". Watch it and weep! We each have a right to our own opinions, but we do not have a right to our own facts. We may disagree what the facts mean but the facts can never be opinions. And you may not like my opinions but my opinions can never be false or lies.

"Antonio Gramsci repeatedly cites the aphorism, “pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will” (which he ascribed to the novelist Romain Rolland). In one of his letters, he expanded the idea: “The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned … I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will.” "

My intellect tells me our problems are nearly impossible to resolve. But my will refuses to give in. No matter how grim it gets, it is irrational to think possibility no longer exists.

Maybe the economic conditions for the country as a whole are worse, but in CNY they are pretty much the same.

Actually, google the video "Wealth distribution In America"

At what point did TWC start televising all home games? It has certainly had an effect on ticket sales but I have no idea to what extent and what year it started.

Maybe '04-'05?

I know Rhode Island and a couple others weren't televised the previous year. Coverage was still more widespread than it had been in the early '90s (when ESPN still blacked out games). 1994 was the year attendance fell off a cliff.

I blame probation (and a couple poor seasons). By the time we had sustained success (2003 and the next couple seasons), the Dome novelty had long since worn off and enough of the games were televised that people didn't return to buying season tickets in the same numbers.

I usher at the Dome, and was told before the Indiana game at our meeting that they have sold 28,000 for Binghamton.

Averaging 29,900 for an entire season is completely mind blowing. There's no way that ever gets matched.

I usher at the Dome, and was told before the Indiana game at our meeting that they have sold 28,000 for Binghamton.

My friend, we need you to post here more often. I am, however, concerned you may come under interrogation from some of our more nefarious members...like myself.

That'd be remarkable. Since 1990, we've had a crowd that big for a non-major opponent twice: 29,057 for Cornell and 28,246 for UNC-Charlotte in the Carrier Classic final (both early in the '91 season, when Owens was a junior).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom