2014 Uniforms | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2014 Uniforms

The only problem going back to the McNabb uniforms is they were in style in the 90's. We have to modernize not go backward. The 3 stripes down the leg, and on the helmet is far out of style. I liked the idea of the Seahawks uniform pattern

we is going retro...pink and pea green
If they do that then we can call the tunnel they run out of the *pea* trough ?

Last edited:
How about Brisly's HS uniforms where the dark green is our regular orange and the lime green is a neon orange?

Blue numbers, Orange helmet with no stripe, only the block S on the side.
902a336c-7203-e211-b4bb-002655e6c126_original.jpg

How about Brisly's HS uniforms where the dark green is our regular orange and the lime green is a neon orange?

oy

bnoro said:
How about Brisly's HS uniforms where the dark green is our regular orange and the lime green is a neon orange? Blue numbers, Orange helmet with no stripe, only the block S on the side.
Barf

I just accidentally punched myself in the voicebox when I saw these.

How much of the uniform decision is based on marketing to the public?
The jersey companies must want to maximize profits, and I'm assuming (?) SU gets some of the action. If that's the case, the design might be:

-something that will sell (the team wearing it may be all that's necessary)
-uniform change every couple of seasons to generate new sales

Personally, I'd like more orange, especially in the helmets, but otherwise I have no strong preference.

Just better not be orange jersey on orange pants. Yikes. I really liked the uniform combination used in the Texas Bowl. A more traditional style jersey (in white) with that sweet looking new helmet (blueorange).
Sweet looking helmet?

If you reverse the colors and have orange fade into blue...maybe. But the current blue fading into orange is hideous.

did sheila e design that ?

Good lord.

This uniform talk is nauseating. Makes me proud to be a Yankee fan where we never change uniforms.

How much of the uniform decision is based on marketing to the public?
The jersey companies must want to maximize profits, and I'm assuming (?) SU gets some of the action. If that's the case, the design might be:

-something that will sell (the team wearing it may be all that's necessary)
-uniform change every couple of seasons to generate new sales

Personally, I'd like more orange, especially in the helmets, but otherwise I have no strong preference.

It's all about marketing and trying to increase revenue. It's obviously driven by DG and we all know he loves putting his mark on things and making a splash.

Of course the players love new stuff, but I doubt that the captains are going to Shafer to say the team is tired of the uniforms and wants something new.

I'm thinking of all the different combinations of anything, not just jersey design.

2005 was the first overhaul. Then I felt like we kept tweaking. Helmets alone went from solid orange, to numbers, to someone using what looked like tape to make a black-ish blue S which resembled a 5. Then finally got a better blue S that looked more like our logo. Then added the blue color this year.

We wore orange pants only from Jim Brown to 2004. In 2005, added white pants and I think blue pants. Then went back to only orange for a bunch of years. Then this year went back to blue, not sure if it was the same design as 2005.

Jerseys had orange/blue/white stripes on the shoulders at one point. Then just had terrible looking blackish blue stripes that looked like they were drawn with a marker. Then had no stripes the past few years.

I've tried my best to block out the GRob years, but the one thing I remember is that we always seemed to be tweaking the uniform. We finally landed on something sharp, maybe 2009? Especially for home games. The orange pants, blue shirt, helmet with block S look. Then this year, I think we only wore that for Penn State and BC.

Frank Maloney brought us orange jerseys, white pants and white helmets at home - with orange pants on the road.

He eventually went with orange helmets blue jerseys and white pants at home.

From today's Uni Watch:

Yesterday’s Ticker included a claim from anonymous source regarding a Syracuse football overhaul. Now another little birdie has come forward: “I can bolster that claim,” he says. “They’ve been in the works for quite some time. A couple months after the 2012 bowl game, ending Syracuse’s reign in the Big East, Nike came to the school and offered up a few designs for select members of the football team to view/debate/vote on. The players all assumed this was for an ACC reboot, but we’re now a year late for that. Should be interesting.”

From today's Uni Watch:

Yesterday’s Ticker included a claim from anonymous source regarding a Syracuse football overhaul. Now another little birdie has come forward: “I can bolster that claim,” he says. “They’ve been in the works for quite some time. A couple months after the 2012 bowl game, ending Syracuse’s reign in the Big East, Nike came to the school and offered up a few designs for select members of the football team to view/debate/vote on. The players all assumed this was for an ACC reboot, but we’re now a year late for that. Should be interesting.”
I do remember the Nike visit. Sounds more and more like it's going to happen.

I would love a nice Orange colored jersey. That's all I ask for. I don't care what accompanies with it. Just give me Orange.

That being said, anyone know where I can get an Orange 44 jersey that is "Stitched" not screen printed? All the 44's I see have screen printed numbers on them. Hell, I'm not picky with the color. I just want a stitched Syracuse football jersey.

Where is the proof that kids like the combat unis? As noted in this thread, the traditional programs don't go with the gimmicky stuff. Are ours on record somewhere saying that's what they want? Who makes the final call, TGD?
TGD told me that they liked the unis that they wore in 2013.

Last edited:
Where is the proof that kids like the combat unis? As noted in this thread, the traditional programs don't go with the gimmicky stuff. Are ours on record somewhere saying that's what they want? Who makes the final call, TGD?
This isn't true at all as Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, and even ND have rolled out special uniforms in the last 3 years.

I would find an NFL teams jersey we like and use their numeral font and create Orange/Blue/Black/White jerseys with that style. Make the numerals Orange on the white jerseys, go back to the solid Orange helmets, have Blue/Orange/White/Black pants and call it a day.