2015 FIFA Women's World Cup | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup

The energy and confidence levels of the team in the first 10 or so minutes was as high as I've seen in any game - any sport. An avalanche.

I wish our basketball teams offense was this good

Can someone who has a better of understanding of soccer than I do explain how to characterize Lloyd's long goal?

Is it like Steph Curry during a heat check where he can pull up from 30 feet because he's in the zone or did she just have an insane-awareness of the goalie's position and took a long, but high percentage shot?

To me, it seemed like she was in the zone and just said F it, I'm in fire and put it in.

Can someone who has a better of understanding of soccer than I do explain how to characterize Lloyd's long goal?

Is it like Steph Curry during a heat check where he can pull up from 30 feet because he's in the zone or did she just have an insane-awareness of the goalie's position and took a long, but high percentage shot?

To me, it seemed like she was in the zone and just said F it, I'm in fire and put it in.
It was not a heat check. The Japanese goal keeper was way off her line. She should have probably been at the 6 yard box but she was closer to edge of the penalty kick marker and Lloyd saw that and smartly put a shot on the net. That goal was brilliance from Lloyd, but was more on the Japanese keeper for being out too far.

Absolutely amazing game. The first 20 minutes were unlike anything I've ever seen.

This game was the same thing. instead of it being in 20 minutes it took 25 minutes for Germany to score 4 goals and 29 minutes to score 5 goals. This was WAY more impressive as it was agains the home team. I am proud of the USWNT and happy they won the 3rd star, but Germany did less than a year ago.

It was not a heat check. The Japanese goal keeper was way off her line. She should have probably been at the 6 yard box but she was closer to edge of the penalty kick marker and Lloyd saw that and smartly put a shot on the net. That goal was brilliance from Lloyd, but was more on the Japanese keeper for being out too far.
If the keeper didn't stumble, she would have made the save. Keepers are taught to also act as a 5th defender, almost as a sweeper. You cannot stay on the line or even in the "6" when the ball is across the half. You need to be in a position to defend a through ball or long ball, if needed. I don't know if its a new philosophy or not, but that is what my son is learning. All keepers can make saves, its how well you defend, distribute and vocally direct the defense that separate keepers now. His initial ODP coach this year wanted the keepers to be able to beat the first defender in the back before passing the ball, so as to help create an advantage in the back, which creates an advantage moving forward.
It was a terrific shot, but a bit lucky, with the stumble. There has to be pressure on that shot. The keeper played it right, IMO.

If the keeper didn't stumble, she would have made the save. Keepers are taught to also act as a 5th defender, almost as a sweeper. You cannot stay on the line or even in the "6" when the ball is across the half. You need to be in a position to defend a through ball or long ball, if needed. I don't know if its a new philosophy or not, but that is what my son is learning. All keepers can make saves, its how well you defend, distribute and vocally direct the defense that separate keepers now. His initial ODP coach this year wanted the keepers to be able to beat the first defender in the back before passing the ball, so as to help create an advantage in the back, which creates an advantage moving forward.
It was a terrific shot, but a bit lucky, with the stumble. There has to be pressure on that shot. The keeper played it right, IMO.

The keeper got her hand on the ball and changed its course; it just went in off the post.

Yeah it was a very intelligent decision by Lloyd to use the Sun and the Keepers positioning to her advantage. Given Japan's rotation of keepers I found it odd they didnt go with the taller keeper instead. Lloyd's reaction time was perfect as if she had waited just another second the keeper is set and far enough back.

The keeper got her hand on the ball and changed its course; it just went in off the post.
Yes, and if she hadn't stumbled, she would have saved it. The stumble caused her to just deflect it. My point was the keeper was not out of position on the shot. It was a great shot, but if the keeper doesn't stumble, she saves it, IMO.

Yes, and if she hadn't stumbled, she would have saved it. The stumble caused her to just deflect it. My point was the keeper was not out of position on the shot. It was a great shot, but if the keeper doesn't stumble, she saves it, IMO.

Yes, people talk about her having been out of position, but certainly not by much. When Charlie Adam chipped Chelsea this past season from about 10 yards farther away, the goal keeper was all the way out at the edge of the penalty area, 18 yards from goal. The Japan keeper was not nearly that far off her line. It was really a hell of a shot.

Yes, people talk about her having been out of position, but certainly not by much. When Charlie Adam chipped Chelsea this past season from about 10 yards farther away, the goal keeper was all the way out at the edge of the penalty area, 18 yards from goal. The Japan keeper was not nearly that far off her line. It was really a hell of a shot.
I remember this from Howard and watched it live. This was wind aided though.

I remember this from Howard and watched it live. This was wind aided though.

Yes, I remember that, too! Nice job finding the clip. The height of the bounce was what threw off the keeper, as much as the wind. You'd think they were playing on artificial turf with the way that ball bounced up.

This game was the same thing. instead of it being in 20 minutes it took 25 minutes for Germany to score 4 goals and 29 minutes to score 5 goals. This was WAY more impressive as it was agains the home team. I am proud of the USWNT and happy they won the 3rd star, but Germany did less than a year ago.
I was so trashed by the end of this game in celebration that I forgot how nasty Schurrle's goal was. That was a such a fun World Cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom