2016/17 Starting Lineup | Syracusefan.com

2016/17 Starting Lineup

kmart128

All Conference
I know it's early but I am interested in how it would look and have some questions. Can Battle play the point? Will we move Malachi to the 2 guard to get our best 5 players on the court? If not who plays the point Howard or Joseph???

They way I see it

C: Paschal Chukwu/Chino Oboknoh
PF: Tyler Lydon/Tauren Thompson?
SF: Tyler Roberson/Matthew Moyer
SG: Malachi Richardson/Frank Howard
PG: Tyus Battle/Kaleb Joseph

That is an extremely long and tall lineup that should be able to get many blocks and help our rebounding issue and we should still be a good 3 point shooting team. I just worry that Battle isn't fit for the point. Richardson though I think can be a star next year if he stays.

Coleman has another year of eligibility too.

Depends on how good Battle is at PG, how much Howard improves, and how Lydon comes along in expanding his game as far as ball handling and strength/quickness(he'd be the SF - Roberson can't shoot or dribble well enough to play on the perimeter) as far as who starts. Battle, Richardson, and Roberson would seem to be the 3 locks to start. Howard or Lydon, and Coleman or Chukwu would look to be the competitions, with Moyer having an outside chance if he's the better fit at SF than Lydon.

I don't think there's any question if Howard or Joseph...clearly Frank will be ahead of Kaleb on the depth chart. Mali has held his own at the bottom of the zone this year, if Howard develops I could see our starting 5 as Howard/Battle/MR/Roberson/Chukwu; with Lydon as a super sub off the bench. Then Moyer, DC, and hopefully TT.

Our depth could be fun next year.

Battle/Howard/Kaleb could play PG
Battle/MR could play the 2
Wings could be MR/TR/TL/MM/TT
5 could be PC/DC/TT/TL

Did the staff promise Battle he would play PG or anything? Our O looks so much smoother with Frankie at the point.

I don't think there's any question if Howard or Joseph...clearly Frank will be ahead of Kaleb on the depth chart. Mali has held his own at the bottom of the zone this year, if Howard develops I could see our starting 5 as Howard/Battle/MR/Roberson/Chukwu; with Lydon as a super sub off the bench. Then Moyer, DC, and hopefully TT.

Our depth could be fun next year.

Battle/Howard/Kaleb could play PG
Battle/MR could play the 2
Wings could be MR/TR/TL/MM/TT
5 could be PC/DC/TT/TL

Did the staff promise Battle he would play PG or anything? Our O looks so much smoother with Frankie at the point.

If Frank can continue to develop his passing skills and assists (and doesn't take too many 10 ft floaters), then with a year in the system, I see him starting at PG at least initially. Battle or Mal starts at 2G. I kind of like the lineup of Howard and Mal in the backcourt with TL and TR upfront, and Pas/DC at the 5, with Battle 1st off the bench, at least early in season until it can be seen whether Battle should start or not. Alternatively, it's Battle at 2, Mal at 3, with TL as 6th man.

I think Coleman should be back.

Obviously I would love for DC to come back, but if I was turning 24 years old next season and had my degree, I would move on and try to play overseas somewhere professionally if there's interest.

I'm surprised at the Frank love. Think he'll get minutes but we're seeing the benefit of having 3-4 shooters on the floor at all times this year. Having a guard that isn't a threat can't be good for long stretches. His first step is getting some conversions on drives. Then hopefully the long range stuff clicks.

There is a benefit of what we have now (3 perimeter players, each of whom can shoot & drive). Roberson can not do that; Lydon will likely add 15 lbs, and be stronger inside.
Which means JB could go with Lydon at C, Roberson at PF, and a 3 guard combination of MR, Battle and Howard. Chukwu off the bench at center. Moyer & Thompson with roles to be determined. It is all speculation until we see what Chukwu can actually do.

There is a benefit of what we have now (3 perimeter players, each of whom can shoot & drive). Roberson can not do that; Lydon will likely add 15 lbs, and be stronger inside.
Which means JB could go with Lydon at C, Roberson at PF, and a 3 guard combination of MR, Battle and Howard. Chukwu off the bench at center. Moyer & Thompson with roles to be determined. It is all speculation until we see what Chukwu can actually do.

I think Chukwu will start right away because Boeheim said back in october that he can see him being a premier shot blocker in the NCAA. High comments from a hall of fame coach ho is normally straight forward if a player will be good or bad.

Yeah I can't see a situation where Chukwu doesn't start right away, unless DC comes back and he becomes the token starter and gets pulled at the 18minute mark

Yeah I can't see a situation where Chukwu doesn't start right away, unless DC comes back and he becomes the token starter and gets pulled at the 18minute mark
DC2 would get plenty of run. DC2 is improving this season and by next year his O will be significantly ahead of 7'2". Plus DC2 will be a dues paid senior, which JB is very loyal to.

Now, I get into a little dreaming but would love to see a big sub pattern after the first 4 minute TO that brings in 7'2", Frank, and maybe Moyer for some press.

Depends on Battles game and early scoring abilities. If he is a great scorer I see him starting with Malachi at sg/sf. If not he will be point.

We need shooters in the corner we are losing alot with Gbinije and Cooney. With Malachi moving to the first option I don't want to see him forced into the corner to much, and that is Lydons least favorite spot. Hopefully we see some progression there.

Not sure we are going to see a back to the basket game from any of our bigs, but we will be better scoring inside.Maybe Lydon if he puts on 10-15 pounds. We will need to see dribbling ability from Lydon, Roberson, Moyer together on the wings to go with a big lineup. JB typically doesn't go without three good ball handlers on the floor, and without a back to the basket isolation guy and in a scoring league like the ACC probably even more so.

Roberson is going to be a STUD next year no matter what scoring option he is.

My thoughts on Battle. Hes a stud, but I am not sold yet on his strength to finish in the lane. Malachi has much more built upperarm strength and Roberson much more of a vertical at this point. Asking a freshmen to have the dribble drive like Gbinije is asking alot, but he could be up to the task. He is really good at forcing his man to overplay and underplay him, and takes advantage of that so well, that he may even be able to really slow the ball down and find assists in the lane becaue of it. However, at the college level it is best to attack the rim ferociously instead of hesitating, and he will be up against alot tougher secondary defenders. I do think we will conform the teams strengths and chemistry around him, similar to how we are doing with Malachi and Lydon this year. Battle,Moyer, and Lydon (because roberson is a pf not a sf) are really the X factors to how our chemistry will shuffle right now, imo.

Last edited:
I think Chukwu will start right away because Boeheim said back in october that he can see him being a premier shot blocker in the NCAA. High comments from a hall of fame coach ho is normally straight forward if a player will be good or bad.

So, Boeheim sometimes will say something -- for example, that Kaleb Joseph is much improved. And then, we see with our own eyes.
I haven't read or heard any practice reports about Chukwu. Better to withhold judgment until we hear more from the coaches, or see him play in international competitions over the summer, or exhibition games, or something.
In contrast, we have seen Lydon play center, and it is easy to see how he rounds things out when he adds some more muscle.
What skills does Chucwu have in handling, shooting, positioning ...? Anyone?

Battle
Richardson
Lydon
Roberson
Chukwu

Would be my guess

I don't think DC will be back

That's my starting line-up, too. Tyus Battle is going to be a Dion kind of player for us next year. He's going to have the ball in his hands a lot, he can get into the lane, and he can hit a jump shot. This kid can score. He can pass a little; he's not MCW, he's more Dion. I think that's something we've been missing for the last few years. A killer scorer at guard.

If DC returns and can accept the sub role, that makes us a better team than just having Chino at center to back up Chukwu. If Coleman leaves, we have to land Thompson for the rotation.

I think we play 3 forwards most of the time - Roberson, Lydon and Moyer. Mali moves to guard with Battle, if Battle's handle is good enough (I think he's going to be as good as Silent G with the ball, give or take). I don't encourage this kind of talk generally, but if Frank has passed Kaleb, Kaleb ought to consider transferring while he still has 2 years plus the red shirt remaining. He could do well at a place like Seton Hall or Providence. I'm not sure he is up to ACC level of play.

If JB is only going to be around for another year or two, I'd like to see the scholarships freed up for Kaleb and maybe Chino and go balls out for the 2017 class.

PG: Battle/Howard
SG: Richardson/Battle
SF: Lydon/Moyer
PF:Roberson/Moyer
C: Chukwu/Thompson

Crazy talented, crazy athletic. Best team since 2013 easily

Many here didn't think Gbinije would be back this year. Has anyone heard anything concrete on Coleman, or is it all speculation?

I know it's early but I am interested in how it would look and have some questions. Can Battle play the point? Will we move Malachi to the 2 guard to get our best 5 players on the court? If not who plays the point Howard or Joseph???

They way I see it

C: Paschal Chukwu/Chino Oboknoh
PF: Tyler Lydon/Tauren Thompson?
SF: Tyler Roberson/Matthew Moyer
SG: Malachi Richardson/Frank Howard
PG: Tyus Battle/Kaleb Joseph

That is an extremely long and tall lineup that should be able to get many blocks and help our rebounding issue and we should still be a good 3 point shooting team. I just worry that Battle isn't fit for the point. Richardson though I think can be a star next year if he stays.
Roberson is a 4, not a 3.
Joseph will be gone or be a RS, if JB will let him.

what I would like to see:

Battle & Mal at he the guards with Frankie in solid rotation
Robe at the 4, Lydon at the 3 and Chukwu in the middle.

if DC2 returns maybe he starts at the 5, ala Forth. gets a few mins before CW is the first sub and hopefully earns a return to the game later on.

Moyer backs at the 4. Thonpson at the 4/5. Mal sees a bunch of time at 3 when Frankie is running point and Battle slides to 2.

Hopefully Chino can become a useful 5 min/5 foul guy, especially if DC departs. I think KJ is gone for sure.

with the above, we have 1 more open spot (KJ's) and I'd love to see a quality recruit or 5th yr who can play 3 and hit an outside shot (*cough *BJ *cough).

if DC leaves and/or TT doesn't sign then next need is for a quality 4/5 backup.

if both KJ and DC leave, and TT comes, then I want the last spot to go to a true PG. maybe someone Scoopish, who can be a very high end "program guy" by the end of his 4 year tour.

so my rotation would look like:

PG: Battle/Howard
SG: Mal/Battle
SF: Lydon/Mal/PlayerX
PF: Roberson/Thompson/Lydon/DC
C: DC/Chukwu/Chino/Lydon

Last edited:
That's my starting line-up, too. Tyus Battle is going to be a Dion kind of player for us next year. He's going to have the ball in his hands a lot, he can get into the lane, and he can hit a jump shot. This kid can score. He can pass a little; he's not MCW, he's more Dion. I think that's something we've been missing for the last few years. A killer scorer at guard.

If DC returns and can accept the sub role, that makes us a better team than just having Chino at center to back up Chukwu. If Coleman leaves, we have to land Thompson for the rotation.

I think we play 3 forwards most of the time - Roberson, Lydon and Moyer. Mali moves to guard with Battle, if Battle's handle is good enough (I think he's going to be as good as Silent G with the ball, give or take). I don't encourage this kind of talk generally, but if Frank has passed Kaleb, Kaleb ought to consider transferring while he still has 2 years plus the red shirt remaining. He could do well at a place like Seton Hall or Providence. I'm not sure he is up to ACC level of play.

If JB is only going to be around for another year or two, I'd like to see the scholarships freed up for Kaleb and maybe Chino and go balls out for the 2017 class.
If DC returns, he starts. JB would not do that to senior who worked so hard just to get back to playing.

I do have to say all of the calls for KJ to be "gone" are a little weird coming from a board that used to CRUSH Jim Calhoun for running players off to free up scholarships.

He's only a soph., he might come on.

Lazarus Sims shot 23.9% and averaged 1.3 ppg and 1.9 apg in 251 minutes as a soph. You never know.

I do have to say all of the calls for KJ to be "gone" are a little weird coming from a board that used to CRUSH Jim Calhoun for running players off to free up scholarships.

He's only a soph., he might come on.

I'm not "calling for him to be gone" at all, but I think its probably going to happen and that's prob for the best.

for years I've bitched about playing time for players, but I can't ever remember someone so buried in PT, from starter to scrub mins, who came back to the front.

he can transfer, sit out a year and still have 2 years left to resurrect his career, and I wish him well if he so chooses.

if Chino hadn't of gotten robbed of a year and would have to sit out 1 just to play only 1, I'd think he would be gone too.

Don't see Chino getting minutes. Think we'll still see some Lydon at the 5 if DC comes back.