2016 secondary | Syracusefan.com

2016 secondary

RF2044

Living Legend
It would be a significant understatement to suggest that our defensive backfield was subpar in 2015. Whigham struggled massively [disappointing for senior], and with Rodney Williams being injured for a significant portion of the year, we were weak at safety outside of Cordy.

Winfield was impressive, after switching from WR. And Cordy was an impact player, albeit an undersized one. So what's in store for 2016?

I know that Morgan has struggled throughout his career, but might he be a kid who thrives in Tampa 2 at corner? If so, and he's got the requisite size, we might field a better set of corners than we did this past year. I liked that Dowels / Hudson got force fed an infusion of minutes the last third of the season--they are a bit undersized for Tampa 2 on paper, but if they take the next step, we might have a better group of corners next season than what we saw this year. Would also help if Scissum / Whitner take the next step, and if an incoming player like Brinson can push the two deep.

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

2015 secondary was weak because we lost our 3 best guys to graduation, and had not recruited well at the position or been smart enough to bring in JC help.
2016 - everyone is back except WhIgham so we get better.
But I also expect that a new set of coaches will make a number of changes. Try Winfield at safety; move Cordy back to CB. Get more size in the recruits.

There are other units that also need an upgrade (OL, WR, LB ...) but fixing the secondary has to be near the top of the list.

I will say that as Dowels and Hudson started playing more, my utter terror when thinking about the future of our secondary was alleviated significantly. Not saying either of those guys is the answer or will ever be an all-conference caliber player, but there was such a clear jump in natural ability it's ridiculous. With another season under their belts I think they could be very, very solid players back there.

We need to have a better pass rush in order for the secondary to have any real chance. I am not very optimistic.
Even a modest improvement from our 31 ppg given up on D will not be enough to get the job done.

Perhaps, the offense is the only short-term answer. We need to score like 35 ppg next year. Then another year of recruiting secondary talent will give us some needed experience and depth.

Last edited:
We need to have a better pass rush in order for the secondary to have any real chance adone. I am not very optimistic.
Even a modest improvement from our 31 ppg given up on D will not be enough to get the job done.

Perhaps, the offense is the only short-term answer. We need to score like 35 ppg next year. Then another year of recruiting secondary talent will give us some needed experience and depth.
I agree Crusty. I personally think Winfield and Hudson are our best overall corners. They are not short, which the staff likes. They both have played meaningful snaps. To me, Dowels is more like a nickle corner. Like a Tyrann Mathieu type. I also put Wayne in the same category. Cordy is our best safety no doubt. I can also see him dropping down from safety to cover the slot in blitzing situations.

jekelish said:
I will say that as Dowels and Hudson started playing more, my utter terror when thinking about the future of our secondary was alleviated significantly. Not saying either of those guys is the answer or will ever be an all-conference caliber player, but there was such a clear jump in natural ability it's ridiculous. With another season under their belts I think they could be very, very solid players back there.

If Cordell was in the Virginia game covering Severin in OT instead of Whigham I firmly believe he turns to the ball on the 40 yd TD and intercepts.
Then a 5-7 Syracuse team goes bowling based on APR, Shafer stays on board for his final year and the program is in a completely different place.
Amazing how things work out.

Winfield, Dowels, and Hudson need to stay at corner. Proven production. Corey needs to stay at safety. The kid thrives there and I'm glad he chose to stay after Shafer was let go. I have a good feeling about Brinson at corner and Bradshaw at safety next year too. Put Morgan anywhere in the secondary you like. And Scissum should probably remain at safety as well.

Winfield, Dowels, and Hudson need to stay at corner. Proven production. Corey needs to stay at safety. The kid thrives there and I'm glad he chose to stay after Shafer was let go. I have a good feeling about Brinson at corner and Bradshaw at safety next year too. Put Morgan anywhere in the secondary you like. And Scissum should probably remain at safety as well.
None of them except Cory have really proven to be anything but average or below. We have a long way to go.

I wouldn't call Winfield, Dowels or Hudson below average. They were a help to our secondary and were missed when they weren't playing. Winfield when he was injured and Dowels/Hudson when Whigham was taking somebody's spot

I wouldn't call Winfield, Dowels or Hudson below average. They were a help to our secondary and were missed when they weren't playing. Winfield when he was injured and Dowels/Hudson when Whigham was taking somebody's spot
Winfield lost leverage so many times you have to wonder if he has plateaued. This is pretty basic stuff.
None of them seem fast enough or quick enough to stay with the better ACC receivers.

Winfield lost leverage so many times you have to wonder if he has plateaued. This is pretty basic stuff.
None of them seem fast enough or quick enough to stay with the better ACC receivers.
This...if we are to get to Top 15-25 status many players have to be over-recruited.

I think that we will see Mcfarland, Perkins and Thomas moved to the D backfield.

Well, if we are talking about getting to top 25 status then that's a different conversation altogether from the one I am having. The whole roster would have to be recruited over, save for Dungey, Estime and Ish ...maybe a couple others. Not just secondary. However, I don't recall Winfield being beat too many times. Every person in the secondary is going to get beat every now and then, I don't care who the team is.

If Cuse is going to take the FIRST step this year by winning 6 or 7 games, you keep Winfield, Hudson, and Dowels at corner, Cordy at safety, and don't make wholesale changes off the bat

The beauty of the Baylor Hurry Up, No Huddle (HUNH) system is you can beat Top 25 teams without Top 25 talent. We might not be as far off as you think.

Disclaimer: this is not how I feel 100%. I think if you have a chance to coach at the top of the profession, you go. But...

I think a lot of it is tied up in the sense of loyalty that was sold and then ripped out from under the fans. DM was supposed to be a Syracuse guy, a guy who revered Mac. He did a decent job getting ya back to respectability and then got the moving van out before the foundation was cured properly.

Well, if we are talking about getting to top 25 status then that's a different conversation altogether from the one I am having. The whole roster would have to be recruited over, save for Dungey, Estime and Ish ...maybe a couple others. Not just secondary. However, I don't recall Winfield being beat too many times. Every person in the secondary is going to get beat every now and then, I don't care who the team is.

If Cuse is going to take the FIRST step this year by winning 6 or 7 games, you keep Winfield, Hudson, and Dowels at corner, Cordy at safety, and don't make wholesale changes off the bat
I agree. Dont make too many changes, all of them will get better if they learn from their previous experiences and work on their weaknesses. If they do that we might be able to overachieve in this unit. I think Corey will be much better in the new scheme. He has good zone eyes, he's tall with long arms. We do have a ways to go to get to above average corner play.

Winfield gave up a lot of big plays after catch by losing leverage to the help side. He has raw talent and may be very good some day, but he was very uneven last year.

Disclaimer: this is not how I feel 100%. I think if you have a chance to coach at the top of the profession, you go. But...

I think a lot of it is tied up in the sense of loyalty that was sold and then ripped out from under the fans. DM was supposed to be a Syracuse guy, a guy who revered Mac. He did a decent job getting ya back to respectability and then got the moving van out before the foundation was cured properly.

You know, this seems to always be the common wisdom and I can't disagree with it more. If you are having success making millions of dollars, why do you "have" to go somewhere else? How did that work out for coach Mac? How about Marrone? How about Chip Kelly? And the list goes on and on. You can be truly great and recognizable and rich coaching major college basketball and football. And nothing, NOTHING is guaranteed at the next level. This thinking is a farce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom