2017 Depth Chart | Syracusefan.com

2017 Depth Chart

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I am moving your discussion out of Mykeltis thread and putting it here. CL

Yes, definitely, I can see him fitting either role of SS or FS. He's a heady player with good range and also is not shy about coming up in run support. He's going to play soon.

I still think Cordy is going to play a lot. He adds too much value.

With the way teams play, having him as a nickel safety would be very nice.

Great to have some viable options. If we don't see marked improvement in that group in 2017, there's something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great to have some viable options. If we don't see marked improvement in that group in 2017, there's something wrong.
Oh no doubt, Cordy's our guy. I love our athleticism and depth back there now. I'm really hoping for huge strides with the D this year, especially within the Secondary. Their success usually coincides with the DL's, so it's a snowball effect.

Oh no doubt, Cordy's our guy. I love our athleticism and depth back there now. I'm really hoping for huge strides with the D this year, especially within the Secondary. Their success usually coincides with the DL's, so it's a snowball effect.

Precisely--a big key will be whether we can generate an improved pass rush from the DL, now that the DEs who were thrown to the wolves too early last season have a year to improve, get stronger / faster, etc. and are now acclimated to the speed of the college game.

That's true. I'm hopeful that Berry, Morton or Kingsley (Jonathan?) can become a pass-rushing DE that can get some pressure without needing a blitz. Or one of the younger guys pressed into duty last year. Coleman could be one. Maybe put Richards outside as an edge rusher, too, in situations? Just a thought.

I think with so many of the recruits we brought in the last two years being larger and more versatile, it gives the staff a lot of flexibility to put kids into a position they can succeed in right away. Which should pay dividends.

Not to continue the DL talk but let's hope Nelson improved with his redshirt. Was highly-rated for SU last year.

I love our options now. Amazing overhaul of the secondary. However, i dont see the value with cordy. I love him, he is a missile, huge in the run game but a liability in pass coverage. Bites too much going for the big hit and when he is in position in pass coverage, his height is a problem.

I think the staff brought in the three JUCCOs and a gradtransfer to play day one. I expect Berry to playing third down. Guthrie will push Thomas and start IMO. The real interesting part will be the secondary. I think Cordy will play FS and nickel but the other three or four spots are wide open. I would think Williams and Butler take two. Who do you guys think will be the other corner and the other safety?

I think the staff brought in the three JUCCOs and a gradtransfer to play day one. I expect Berry to playing third down. Guthrie will push Thomas and start IMO. The real interesting part will be the secondary. I think Cordy will play FS and nickel but the other three or four spots are wide open. I would think Williams and Butler take two. Who do you guys think will be the other corner and the other safety?
I was hoping maybe Jones might work his way in there.

Jones and Bradshaw should promise last would love to see them both pushing for playing time.

I think that Melifonwu will win one corner job as a true freshman. I think Butler Williams Cordy and Ellison. I do think all the corners will get some play.

Great take, but i think if cordy starts its at SS. he is too much of a liability in coverage.

Great take, but i think if cordy starts its at SS. he is too much of a liability in coverage.
Good point. I also wonder if there is that much difference in the safety positions in a cover 2. Each safety is responsible for half the field.

Good point. I also wonder if there is that much difference in the safety positions in a cover 2. Each safety is responsible for half the field.

True. Both may have equal 2 deep responsibility at times. That said, didnt see much classic T2 alignment last season.

I thought Fredrick looked good at CB filling in late in the season. I don't think anyone's job is safe.
That's the thing - everyone played last year with a few exceptions. It's a wide open competition.

Last edited:
I thought Fredrick looked good at CB filling in late in the season. I don't think anyone's job is safe.

Agreed he did look good down the stretch. Secondary is wide open. Wide open and that includes Cordy.

Cordy was shakey with his responsibility at Safety. Often making bad reads, not being on the same page or not communicating. I think the most glaring one was LVille before he got hurt.

I see him being the 5th DB, maybe playing closer to the LOS with a lean towards run support.

Agree, he's been the forgotten player around here. He performed fairly well last year as a RS frosh. Hopefully he continues to progress.

Agree, he's been the forgotten player around here. He performed fairly well last year as a RS frosh. Hopefully he continues to progress.

Frederick really played well once he got inserted into the lineup due to attrition. Gained important experience to build upon, and looked solid in coverage.

Butler / Frederick at corner, Willilams / Ellison at safety in my guess.

I'm a huge Cordy fan, though -- wouldn't count him out.

And the depth at corner should be MUCH improved. Hudson, Jones, Scoop, Dowels -- and the incoming frosh give us much better size / athleticism back there.

[Safeties]

FS Rodney Williams (5-10 186) - 9 starts

SS Antwan Cordy (5-8 180) - 15 starts

SS Daivon Ellison (5-8 177) - 10 starts

SS Keilan Whitner (6-0 197) – 3 starts

Evan Foster (6-1 208)

Davon Clarke (6-2 186)

[Cornerbacks]

Juwan Dowels (5-10 180) - 6 starts

Carl Jones (6-1 177)

Scoop Bradshaw (5-11 163)

Cordell Hudson (5-11 183) – 10 starts

Christopher Frederick (5-11 189) - 6 starts

Walkons

Winston Lee 5-10 193

Kyle Strickland 6-0 176

Joe Stanard 5-10 202

FRESHMAN / NEWCOMERS

S MyKelti Williams (5-11 200) – JUCO Transfer

CB Devin Butler (6-1 200) – 2 starts at ND. 39 tackles, 1 int, 7 pb

Eric Coley (6-1 180)

Ifeatu Melifonwu (6-2 180)

Unknown

James Pierre

Frederick really played well once he got inserted into the lineup due to attrition. Gained important experience to build upon, and looked solid in coverage.

Butler / Frederick at corner, Willilams / Ellison at safety in my guess.

I'm a huge Cordy fan, though -- wouldn't count him out.

And the depth at corner should be MUCH improved. Hudson, Jones, Scoop, Dowels -- and the incoming frosh give us much better size / athleticism back there.
Ellison really struggles in pass coverage. Love his heart (great downhill tackler) but I hope we have a more complete Safety on the roster. Maybe Clarke, Foster or Jones can step up.

My guesses:

CB – Devin Butler/Hudson

CB – Chris Frederick/Dowels

SS – Daivon Ellison/Cordy/Foster

FS – MyKelti Williams/Clarke/Williams

Nickel – Antwan Cordy/Bradshaw

Ellison really struggles in pass coverage. Love his heart (great downhill tackler) but I hope we have a more complete Safety on the roster. Maybe Clarke, Foster or Jones can step up.

The spring battle between Ellison and Cordy will be epic. I'm not sure where they have Foster and Clarke slotted to play but (if either is a SS) I don't know if they'll have enough to unseat the vets.

Last edited:

So does Cordy. And I wonder if Ellison having to provide so much run support last season factored into some of the pass coverage issues. We'll see during spring practice if he possesses a more expanded skills set.

The spring battle between Ellison and Cordy will be epic. I'm not sure where they have Foster and Clarke slotted to play but (if either is a SS) I'm not sure they have enough to unseat the vets.
Cordy also had issues in coverage last year but I think his problems were more mental than physical. The kid can really run and if he can figure his assignments I think he starts from day one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom