2018 Masters | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Masters

Now that he is really in the spotlight, he has to know these questions about his past will come up even more, even if CBS avoided it. Be interesting to see how handles it.

Thanks for posting that, MSO. The article was well written. There's a lot of hurting in there. Maybe this will be the first step toward an eventual reconciliation, if it's something they both want.

Every network covering tournament golf goes overboard on the Tiger coverage, even more so now that he is making more than an abbreviated comeback and can actually compete again.
If you watched the streaming, as I did, before the national coverage came on, you know that Tiger's group was 'featured' all four days. There were only two morning and two afternoon featured groups in all.

Yeah, that ticked me off on the early morning coverage. Six years later and the best they've got is right back to the same old, "Tiger tugs his cap ... Tiger scratches his nose ... Tiger hitches his belt ..." I'm not against redemption but it's better earned than foisted upon him like he's entitled to it. Like all this time with all the great golf that's happened from so many other players, and they still just couldn't wait for him to magically reappear. What a soul-less bunch of mouth breathers.

Last edited:
Every network covering tournament golf goes overboard on the Tiger coverage, even more so now that he is making more than an abbreviated comeback and can actually compete again.

For sure but ESPN takes it to another level.

I kinda think that it's more than 'nobody's business'. If only in the sense that the false feel-good story ('Captain America!') that CBS painted in their coverage was incomplete and misleading. I think that toady Nantz should have at least mentioned that his parents were watching some three miles away, but were not welcome at Augusta by Reed and his wife.

Why? Nothing to do with the golf.

so they put the guy on that gets the best ratings by far? why would they do that?

so they put the guy on that gets the best ratings by far? why would they do that?

And then when he struggles or doesn't make the cut then you got ugatz and those viewers don't even hang around for the weekend. Dumb long term strategy. Time to focus on the great young talent already out there.

Yes and yes. I watch the Masters every year, and watch a lot of golf. There's an awful lot of talk about family, mostly in a reverential way, but not always. Tiger's dad was lionized on TV when, in fact, it was a closely-held secret in the golf world that he was a dirtbag. PGA coverage is among the most sanitized in the sporting world.

And I know that the Masters keeps a tight lid on anything veering towards criticism. Which is why the insipid Jim Nantz is the perfect cheerleader for the solons of Augusta.

But it was the wrong call. No, they shouldn't have harped on it, but it's a huge human interest story that they chose to ignore so as not to ruffle the feathers of all those southern gentlemen and their precious formerly lily-white tournament.

The guy has been on the tour for 7 years. While he hasn't been a household name, he's been on a number of big stages, and many other media outlets have had the opportunity to broach the subject. I don't castigate The Masters or think it's their responsibility to jump in 7 years later.

Outside of the drunken college-era behavior, there is no criminal behavior going on. (And could we imagine if everyone's college rap sheet was publicized during every major tournament, Final Four, Super Bowl, World Series, etc...?)

In my opinion, the troubling aspect is the cheating. However, you could argue that this was during an unofficial intra-squad qualifying round, and far different from what has been reported from Vijay in Indonesia or Tiger's cheating @ Augusta in 2011.

Delving into the personal family issues is not sports coverage and is better left for the Extra and Inside Editions, or if we really need our fix, the Olympics, which have been treated as a human interest infomercial for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:
the fact he has been on the tour for awhile and been on the big stage multiple times and its been kept quiet makes you think its been intentional.. its not just CBS that has not led with this story.

And then when he struggles or doesn't make the cut then you got ugatz and those viewers don't even hang around for the weekend. Dumb long term strategy. Time to focus on the great young talent already out there.
You get bonus points for using "ugatz" in a post.

Well, a lot of big media outlets are now covering it. I never expected CBS to cover it b/c they have been the constant lapdog to those scions of tradition who control every aspect of the TV coverage and who, of course, have the implicit power to take this green-jacketed plum away from CBS. Like I said, Nantz is a toady, and the telecast is a synergistic exercise in myth-making.

Well, a lot of big media outlets are now covering it. I never expected CBS to cover it b/c they have been the constant lapdog to those scions of tradition who control every aspect of the TV coverage and who, of course, have the implicit power to take this green-jacketed plum away from CBS. Like I said, Nantz is a toady, and the telecast is a synergistic exercise in myth-making.

I agree with your take on the Masters coverage. I'm not a big fan of Nantz anyway. His butchering of Dolejaz and Sidibe was cringe-worthy. Guy mailed it in. Couldn't be bothered to prepare.

I have a friend who covers golf (among other sports) for a major sports network. From what I've heard from him there are several players out there that are far from lovable for one reason or another. That's why generally speaking it's probably best to stick to the golf, particularly when they don't have all of the facts. Two sides to every story etc.

The guy has been on the tour for 7 years. While he hasn't been a household name, he's been on a number of big stages, and many other media outlets have had the opportunity to broach the subject. I don't castigate The Masters or think it's their responsibility to jump in 7 years later.

Outside of the drunken college-era behavior, there is no criminal behavior going on. (And could we imagine if everyone's college rap sheet was publicized during every major tournament, Final Four, Super Bowl, World Series, etc...?)

In my opinion, the troubling aspect is the cheating. However, you could argue that this was during an unofficial intra-squad qualifying round, and far different from what has been reported from Vijay in Indonesia or Tiger's cheating @ Augusta in 2011.

Delving into the personal family issues is not sports coverage and is better left for the Extra and Inside Editions, or if we really need our fix, the Olympics, which have been treated as a human interest infomercial for as long as I can remember.

Also, Paul Azinger accused Seve Balesteros of cheating. Tom Watson accused Gary Player of cheating.

Both weekend days one of the featured groups included Li of China. I viewed it as a carrot to the Chinese viewers on their iphones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom