2018 PGA Championship | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2018 PGA Championship

Brooks would need to have a Van de Veldian moment.

Tiger was awesome and really should be 2-3 strokes better but he made some incredible saves as well.

He lost the tournament on the back 9 yesterday. Especially that 17 missed 3 footer yesterday.

Koepka is the meathead who doesn’t let pressure affect him. That is perfect for major tournament golf pressure.

brooks25.jpg

Brooks Koepka has won three of the last seven majors. If a tree falls in the forest can anyone hear it?

Brooks Koepka has won three of the last seven majors. If a tree falls in the forest can anyone hear it?

Plenty of people heard it when Rory won his majors early on, and Speith did as well. I think part of it is for those other guys there was more of a career buildup (elite propsects becoming known with more regular wins).. and the other is Koepka doesn't really captivate the attention for some reason.

Although I suspect he will more now.

Can tell Koepka is not the sharpest tool out there.

I have never seen someone putt out like that.
I said it before he is totally a meathead.
Him and Dustin Johnson are close friends I can totally see them as meatheads working out.

Updated world rankings, as I expect them to come out tomorrow.

1. Dustin Johnson
2. Brooks Koepka
3. Justin Thomas
4. Justin Rose
5. Jon Rahm

Mcilroy falls out.

Tiger's 2nd place finish will move him up from #51 to around #26.

Plenty of people heard it when Rory won his majors early on, and Speith did as well. I think part of it is for those other guys there was more of a career buildup (elite propsects becoming known with more regular wins).. and the other is Koepka doesn't really captivate the attention for some reason.

Although I suspect he will more now.

Neither Rory nor Speith accomplished what Koepka did in winning 3 of 7 (plus he missed the Masters this year). Let's face it, he's a victim of the Tiger fixation.

I think we should celebrate infidels like Woods more at the expense of good "meathead" citizens like Koepka.

Brooks didn’t care about his mom being there or how excited his girlfriend was.
However Tiger found her.
Dkb2MBHX4AAkT9s.jpg
Tiger was waiting for him to congratulate him and she initiated the hug.

Hopefully the ratings for today will show that. I thought today was a great golf day.
I’m not a golf guy. I don’t play and don’t really watch.

But I watched today and it was all because of Tiger.

It wa compelling. From Tiger saving missed fairway after missed fairway to Koepka’s unrelenting consistency, it made for a great final round.

Neither Rory nor Speith accomplished what Koepka did in winning 3 of 7 (plus he missed the Masters this year). Let's face it, he's a victim of the Tiger fixation.

Part of it is Tiger... a big part is Brooks pedigree and lack of charisma. Rory and Jordan came up as starts while Tiger was winning as well. You can't just say Brooks not getting attention is a Tiger problem. It is much more than that.

Rory - won 3 out of 9 majors between 2012 and 2014.
- By the time this streak started Rory had already been a top 10 player for 3 years.
- Between 2012 and 2014, when he was accomplishing that he had 10 wins and 10 2nd place finishes. (Koepka only has 4 wins and 6 seconds -- visibility matters.
- He was visible, and he also captured the attention of the world when he cracked the top 10 of the world in 2009 at the age of 20.
- He was a highly anticipated prospect even when Tiger was at his peak in 2008 and 2009. He was able to overcome Tiger to get plenty of attention at this time. Whether it's charisma or simply accomplishing stuff at a really young age, that is real attractive to fans.

Jordan Speith (3 of 10 times)
- Between 2015 and 2017, when he was accomplishing that he had 11 wins and 10 2nd place finishes. (Koepka only has 4 wins and 6 seconds -- visibility matters.
- He was visible, and he also captured the attention of the world when he cracked the top 10 of the world in early 2014 at the age of 20.
- He was a highly anticipated prospect even when Tiger was at his second prime in 2012 and 2013 (when Tiger won 8 tmes). He was able to overcome Tiger to get plenty of attention at this time.

Brooks Koepka was 27 the first time he reached the world top 10. Whether it's the charisma or energy that comes with being a young star, accomplishing stuff at a really young age, that is attractive to sports fans.

Point is while Tiger may be a factor, it is only a minor factor in why Koepka is not a major star.

As for the world being fixated with a 42 year old in contention. Two of the majors that are the most remembered in modern times include a 46 year old legend generally coming out of nowhere to win at Augusta and a 59 year old almost winning the Open. People love comeback stories, they love legends having another run, and they like highly regarded young prospects. It's accross all sports.

Last edited:
I think we should celebrate infidels like Woods more at the expense of good "meathead" citizens like Koepka.

If we are going to call out the fidelity issue I suspect golfers who are on the road over half the time and have money are not much different than other athletes in similar circumstances.

Not sure if many are as "spectacular" as Tiger's issues but it is certainly out there.

Last edited:
I’m not a golf guy. I don’t play and don’t really watch.

But I watched today and it was all because of Tiger.

It wa compelling. From Tiger saving missed fairway after missed fairway to Koepka’s unrelenting consistency, it made for a great final round.
Same. I watched for Tiger and also because I live down the street. I know the course didn’t impress anyone, but I think the fans did St. Louis proud.

Koepka and Dustin Johnson really are the same golfer to me. Behemoths who hit it incredibly long and straight. Tiger used to hit it long, if never as consistently straight. Being that consistent can be kinda...boring. Never the kind of Perils of Pauline stuff that has been Tiger's trademark.

I don't lament the relative lack of attention that Koepka has gotten. He's probably already clinched a spot in the Golf Hall of Fame, even if he never wins another major. Three should be enough. He is rich and only getting richer.

Face it. The story of the tournament was Tiger Woods' comeback. I'm not a Tiger fan, to put it mildly. But, if this was Jack Nicklaus instead of Tiger, no one would begrudge him the spotlight. After all, kinda like Jack, Tiger carried the tour for the better part of twenty years, and helped make golfers like Koepka richer than they ever imagined.

Tiger was waiting for him to congratulate him and she initiated the hug.

I was joking. I saw it. Tiger was all class waiting for Koepka to come in.
Koepka was nonchalant though about seeing his mom who supposedly was a surprise according to Nantz in being there. He was like oh hey how’s it going. To his mom.

Same. I watched for Tiger and also because I live down the street. I know the course didn’t impress anyone, but I think the fans did St. Louis proud.

I didn't mind the course. It's not bad for a major to be more of a birdie fest than the others, and the course was punitive if you did not drive the ball straight.

The quality of the leaderboard showed that it was a good test.

Part of it is Tiger... a big part is Brooks pedigree and lack of charisma. Rory and Jordan came up as starts while Tiger was winning as well. You can't just say Brooks not getting attention is a Tiger problem. It is much more than that.

Rory - won 3 out of 9 majors between 2012 and 2014.
- By the time this streak started Rory had already been a top 10 player for 3 years.
- Between 2012 and 2014, when he was accomplishing that he had 10 wins and 10 2nd place finishes. (Koepka only has 4 wins and 6 seconds -- visibility matters.
- He was visible, and he also captured the attention of the world when he cracked the top 10 of the world in 2009 at the age of 20.
- He was a highly anticipated prospect even when Tiger was at his peak in 2008 and 2009. He was able to overcome Tiger to get plenty of attention at this time. Whether it's charisma or simply accomplishing stuff at a really young age, that is real attractive to fans.

Jordan Speith (3 of 10 times)
- Between 2015 and 2017, when he was accomplishing that he had 11 wins and 10 2nd place finishes. (Koepka only has 4 wins and 6 seconds -- visibility matters.
- He was visible, and he also captured the attention of the world when he cracked the top 10 of the world in early 2014 at the age of 20.
- He was a highly anticipated prospect even when Tiger was at his second prime in 2012 and 2013 (when Tiger won 8 tmes). He was able to overcome Tiger to get plenty of attention at this time.

Brooks Koepka was 27 the first time he reached the world top 10. Whether it's the charisma or energy that comes with being a young star, accomplishing stuff at a really young age, that is attractive to sports fans.

Point is while Tiger may be a factor, it is only a minor factor in why Koepka is not a major star.

As for the world being fixated with a 42 year old in contention. Two of the majors that are the most remembered in modern times include a 46 year old legend generally coming out of nowhere to win at Augusta and a 59 year old almost winning the Open. People love comeback stories, they love legends having another run, and they like highly regarded young prospects. It's accross all sports.

I agree with some of your points but on two points I disagree. With regard to Koepka's pedigree that is exactly why his accomplishments are so remarkable and worthy of tremendous attention. But that leads to the second point. You say Tiger is a minor factor as to why Koepka has not gained more fame and attention but then just ask yourself what kind of attention Koepka would be getting if Tiger was still on the shelf this season?

Koepka and Dustin Johnson really are the same golfer to me. Behemoths who hit it incredibly long and straight. Tiger used to hit it long, if never as consistently straight. Being that consistent can be kinda...boring. Never the kind of Perils of Pauline stuff that has been Tiger's trademark.

I don't lament the relative lack of attention that Koepka has gotten. He's probably already clinched a spot in the Golf Hall of Fame, even if he never wins another major. Three should be enough. He is rich and only getting richer.

Face it. The story of the tournament was Tiger Woods' comeback. I'm not a Tiger fan, to put it mildly. But, if this was Jack Nicklaus instead of Tiger, no one would begrudge him the spotlight. After all, kinda like Jack, Tiger carried the tour for the better part of twenty years, and helped make golfers like Koepka richer than they ever imagined.

I'm not sure anybody begrudges Tiger the spotlight but when a dude wins three out of seven majors then it's time for him to get his fair share of the attention, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom