2019 Depth Chart - Offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Depth Chart - Offense

Nice write-up, thx 44. I can't argue with any of your OL choices ... I think sutomcat has also projected that Servais will move out to tackle and Heckel will take over at center. P. Davis and Servais should be formidable on each side as both are big and very capable. Do you see clark and white getting in the rotation at guard (you have Duerig backing up both spots)?

My only quibble, per I-Matt's post, would be at the slot (inside WR). Jordan is coming in January .. and he's a huge talent. No he's not bulked up, but neither is Riley or the Johnsons. My guess is that he'll have enough time to integrate into the offense and will get PT next year at slot.

Along similar lines, Reed, I'm also glad we have two or three of those new linemen coming in in January. Gives us a better chance that a couple of them will give us a little quality depth if they have 9 months to learn the system and do our S&C program.

We have 3 linemen enrolling in January: Red (OL), Dawson (DL) and Tauzama (DL). Tidsdale and Bergeron are July. We may get another OL off JUCO (or in Februrary) but that would probably mean a July entry.
What about Rondi?

I would consider Moe to be more "explosive" or "able to find the hole" than a pure power guy who can get you a tough yard. I consider him more of a first or second down back, and you can throw to him in the flat.

But on third or fourth down, I'd prefer Adams (already!). Jarveon Howard has not impressed me at the goal line. They tried to build him up over the season, but I didn't find myself convinced that he would score when he got a carry inside the 5 yard line.

I absolutely love the new kid Jawhar Jordan. Some people say, red shirt him so he can build up his body, but boy, I haven't seen anybody on our team who can cut like that. That kid could be an amazing change of pace back. Imagine his speed against a tired defense!
I like Moe and Adams too. Howard is a little stiff for me. I do like his power and it he will serve his role for that.

Be stunned if Adams isn’t the feature back

I think the featured back will be the guy that is getting yards on gameday. Dino has shown he goes with the hot hand.

With the depth at RB, I wouldn't mind seeing Howard take a RS. It looks like Adams can be our powerback near the GL. I think MP is a solid 3rd or 4th year RB.

With Jordan already being a year out of HS, I can see him not wanting to take a RS

Our Db’s are unbelievale. Iffy and Coley would likely be returning starters on most other teams.

Would someone explain to my why freshman UA All American defensive end Caleb Okechukwu is being mentioned as a defensive tackle? He showed at the UA workouts he’s an explosive edge rusher as he consistently beat 4 and 5 star tackles. He’s also 240 LBs.

Would someone explain to my why freshman UA All American defensive end Caleb Okechukwu is being mentioned as a defensive tackle? He showed at the UA workouts he’s an explosive edge rusher as he consistently beat 4 and 5 star tackles. He’s also 240 LBs.

Maybe he grew into it during his RS year?
Slayton and Black came in quite a bit lighter as Frosh also. It's not at all uncommon.
Ruff was a LB, and is now a fireplug DT.

Maybe he grew into it during his RS year?
Slayton and Black came in quite a bit lighter as Frosh also. It's not at all uncommon.
Ruff was a LB, and is now a fireplug DT.

Ruff was never a LB and he and Slayton both came in heavier. Slayton came in at 260. Ruff about 255. Black is more the exception and I don’t think it’s common at all for kids that light (240). Black is still only 272. We need DTs to be plus 290 to hold up in there over a season.

Then move seems very speculative and it’s turning into fact without any actual information. We need Ends after Robinson/Coleman so let’s move the 240# UA All American inside? Does that make sense?

My suspicion is that there are 2-4 attrition candidates waiting to be announced after Fall semester that will be replaced by 2-4 JUCO’s/Grad Transfers that will alter this depth chart a bit. My suspicion is WR, OT, and DL.

My suspicion is that there are 2-4 attrition candidates waiting to be announced after Fall semester that will be replaced by 2-4 JUCO’s/Grad Transfers that will alter this depth chart a bit. My suspicion is WR, OT, and DL.

Can definitely see that. One thing is for sure, this staff knows how to fill a depth chart and evaluate positions of need.

Any indications that Dino and staff might be looking at OL JUCO addition or two or do they have faith in the depthchart players currently??

OK - just saw your post, sorry...

Any indications that Dino and staff might be looking at OL JUCO addition or two or do they have faith in the depthchart players currently??

Dino himself has made reference to that.
Well - more the Grad Transfer route than JUCO.

So, I guess you could call that an "indication". ;)

OK - just saw your post, sorry...

Dino publicly said they’re in the market for a grad transfer OL.

Really the only positions/units where grad transfers make completely no sense looking at the entirety of the depth chart would be QB, RB, DB, K, P, Specials. I could see a case for a grad transfer at OL, WR, DL, TE and LBer. Although I don’t think we’ll take that many, but any of those units could use a mature 2 deep player when you look at the depth charts. On the lines, I would be leaning more towards OT and DT, think we’re pretty good at the other spots.

In a year I think you could take WR and LBer off that list because we have some high end young talent at those positions but We’re still probably a year away.