2020-21 ny mets thread | Syracusefan.com

2020-21 ny mets thread

moqui

generational talent
might as well get this rolling with the big news today

mccann 4/40 to catch

jared porter 4 year deal as gm

porter is a theo epstein disciple, having worked under him in both boston & chicago and having a hand in 4 world series winners. the mets have announced that they are going to leave the team prez position vacant for now . . . maybe this is a signal that theo will take the gig after his one year sabbatical

next up springer? or bauer?

Thank you for starting this thread... I feel like it should be Cohen’s NY Mets to get the Wilson stink off.

I hated playing against McCann all those years with the Braves so that’s a great signing. I take Bauer over Springer... Springer reminds me too much of Jason Bay. I also smell a Lindor trade coming,

Thank you for starting this thread... I feel like it should be Cohen’s NY Mets to get the Wilson stink off.

I hated playing against McCann all those years with the Braves so that’s a great signing. I take Bauer over Springer... Springer reminds me too much of Jason Bay. I also smell a Lindor trade coming,
Well I’m an idiot... was thinking of Brian Mccann catcher of the braves who retired in 2013? Yet another sign I’m getting old... sigh.

i was thinking maybe i was the confused one too.. I thought did i have the wrong guy pictured in this trade he cant be only 30..

i would be fine with the outfield they have now.. get more pitching. scoring was not the issue last year and if anything the stats should normalize better, they should have scored more given the offense they created.. they added some pop at the catcher spot already. DH is the issue and without it who knows where to go.

i was thinking maybe i was the confused one too.. I thought did i have the wrong guy pictured in this trade he cant be only 30..
I wonder if they are related?

i would be fine with the outfield they have now.. get more pitching. scoring was not the issue last year and if anything the stats should normalize better, they should have scored more given the offense they created.. they added some pop at the catcher spot already. DH is the issue and without it who knows where to go.
They don’t have an outfielder who can play center, especially with a big outfield like citi field has. All their guys are much better at the corners. Conforto is locked in at one then you have Davis and Nimmo who are both better at left or right... but because there is no room Nimmo plays a below average center. I also wonder if Cespedes comes back.

Regardless, they need major pitChing help.

i get the need for a better center. but you can go games without a play in center that requires an elite outfielder to make a catch. they lost last year trying to play with a group of sub #5 starters..

i get the need for a better center. but you can go games without a play in center that requires an elite outfielder to make a catch. they lost last year trying to play with a group of sub #5 starters..
the beauty of Cohen is we can have both. no need to pick and choose.

as an aside, anyone know if Cohen bought SNY or will? The real cash seems to be a team having their own tv deal or station. I think Cohen will float the Mets for several years, but if they want to become the dodgers they need to get local tv money.

the beauty of Cohen is we can have both. no need to pick and choose.

as an aside, anyone know if Cohen bought SNY or will? The real cash seems to be a team having their own tv deal or station. I think Cohen will float the Mets for several years, but if they want to become the dodgers they need to get local tv money.
I don’t think anyone knows what the budget is, or what the plan is, but most are thinking that the Mets will try and stay below the payroll tax limit, which I think is in the $210 million range.

The beat writers are saying if that is the limit, they can afford Springer or Bauer, but not both. I have seen a report that said Cohen wants to sign Springer, where Sandy wants to sign Bauer. Interesting.

I would take either one, and would be thrilled to get both.

If I had to choose, I would probably go with Springer. Thought we were hurt by lefties a lot last year...really need a quality right hand hitter to make it tougher for lefties facing the Mets. Also, our defense in center has been awful for a long time. It has hurt the team a lot and cost it too many wins.

Bauer had a great year last year but it was only 2 months of domination. I have some concern over the vast majority of his games being against NL Central teams that don’t hit well. His stats lifetime are not as good as guys like Stroman. Disturbingly mediocre. Suspect he would be a good but not great pitcher for the Mets. I think with pitching in such demand, he is going to get $30 million a year. That is a lot for a guy who hasn’t established himself as a great player. Like say Springer...

I think Cohen is the kind of guy who gets his way. I expect to see Springer signed before Christmas, and the Mets go with someone like Odorizzi or Tanaka to finish the major signings. If they went that way, they might even have enough money to also get another high end type reliever.

Getting Springer and McCann would add two solid right hand hitters to the lineup and balance the offense nicely.

Right handed hitters:

Springer
McCann
Alonso
Davis
Rosario

Left handed hitters:

McNeil
Conforto
Nimmo
Smith
Gimenez
Guilllorme

Whatever happens, the is exciting stuff.

Regarding SNY, it generates around $150 million a year in profits but the Wilpon’s have somehow run up $850 million in debt related to SNY. Not sure they can afford to hold on to it until 2026. That date is important because it is when the SNY deal with the Mets expires. No way Cohen would ever resign with SNY if he didn’t own it by then. So it look inevitable that Cohen will buy SNY. The only question is when.

if you have the DH and Springer thats fine.. you need to find 1 more starter and hope thor comes back.

I'd like Springer, Taijuan Walker, and Kluber (I think Odirizzi will have too many suitors/drives his price unneccisarily up)

Have to remember as well Cano's money is gone this year, but back next year. I think they'll stay under the luxury tax this year, knowing they'll likely eclipse it next year.

so they have 2 yrs left for Cano..

4 options..
1) he retires on own
2) they talk him into taking a deal of some kind to walk away.
3) find someone to take him as a DH who can play some infield and split the salary with them
4) he fails another test in the next 1.5 yrs and he is done.

also remember with the subtraction of Bruce the net value of the Cano was $65 million over the 5 yrs and one of those turns out to be zero..

of the $24 mill they owe him Seattle is paying almost 4 of that every year

so they have 2 yrs left for Cano..

4 options..
1) he retires on own
2) they talk him into taking a deal of some kind to walk away.
3) find someone to take him as a DH who can play some infield and split the salary with them
4) he fails another test in the next 1.5 yrs and he is done.

also remember with the subtraction of Bruce the net value of the Cano was $65 million over the 5 yrs and one of those turns out to be zero..

of the $24 mill they owe him Seattle is paying almost 4 of that every year
5) or really i guess 2a: stretch it out, turn it into a bonilla payment

What does everyone think the next move will be?

Sounds like Springer could be had for a reasonable price. Some media types are speculating a deal could be patterned about DJ's deal, where George gets the money he wants by getting an extra year. So he gets $125-$130 million but for 6 years instead of 5.

Assuming they don't want to go over the luxury tax this year (good plan), that would leave the team with around $5 million for trades and emergencies.

No opportunity to add Hand or another solid left handed relief pitcher.

No opportunity to add a starting pitcher for depth with high upside (like Paxton or Walker).

No opportunity to add a good field, not so good hit CF (Albert Almora).

Is getting Springer worth a weaker pitching staff?

Rotation starts out with DeGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson and either Matz or Lugo. I would go with Matz and focus Lugo on relief. Syndergaard would presumably return sometime in June. Probably not 100% all season but even at 80 or 90%, he is pretty damn good.

Good starting staff. Could be great if everyone stays healthy and pitches to their potential.

7 pretty solid starters is good but after that, we got nothing. We Mets fans know what happens when you need to play games with crappy starting pitchers. It is a huge hit to pennant chances.

Carrasco is in his mid 30s, Stroman was hurt last season, Peterson needed time off last year for a tired arm in a 60 game season and Syndergaard is coming off TJ surgery. Even Lugo has had some arm issues in the past. There are almost surely going to be injury related setbacks.

I think the bullpen is a similar stuation. It looks pretty solid but reliable lefty is really needed. Lots of promising arms but not many solid players you can rely on.

If you want to do it by WAR, Springer has averaged 4.68 over the past 6 full years.

Brad Hand has averaged 0.95.

James Paxton has averaged 2.03.

Albert Almora has averaged 0.6 WAR (only 3 full years in MLB).

Looking at things with WAR, Springer seems to be the way to go. I think he might generate additional benefits by providing a veteran hitter to help the young guys in the lineup. More protection for Alonso, Conforto and Lindor.

Hope things work out and he ends up with the team. If he does, that lineup would be a really fun one to watch. Could legitimately have all 8 starting position players hit 20 or more HRs. If the universal DH is adopted, as expected, add Dom Smith to the list.

And they aren't just power guys. Lots of high on base percentages and batting averages. A lot of runs would be scored...

What does everyone think the next move will be?

Sounds like Springer could be had for a reasonable price. Some media types are speculating a deal could be patterned about DJ's deal, where George gets the money he wants by getting an extra year. So he gets $125-$130 million but for 6 years instead of 5.

Assuming they don't want to go over the luxury tax this year (good plan), that would leave the team with around $5 million for trades and emergencies.

No opportunity to add Hand or another solid left handed relief pitcher.

No opportunity to add a starting pitcher for depth with high upside (like Paxton or Walker).

No opportunity to add a good field, not so good hit CF (Albert Almora).

Is getting Springer worth a weaker pitching staff?

Rotation starts out with DeGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Peterson and either Matz or Lugo. I would go with Matz and focus Lugo on relief. Syndergaard would presumably return sometime in June. Probably not 100% all season but even at 80 or 90%, he is pretty damn good.

Good starting staff. Could be great if everyone stays healthy and pitches to their potential.

7 pretty solid starters is good but after that, we got nothing. We Mets fans know what happens when you need to play games with crappy starting pitchers. It is a huge hit to pennant chances.

Carrasco is in his mid 30s, Stroman was hurt last season, Peterson needed time off last year for a tired arm in a 60 game season and Syndergaard is coming off TJ surgery. Even Lugo has had some arm issues in the past. There are almost surely going to be injury related setbacks.

I think the bullpen is a similar stuation. It looks pretty solid but reliable lefty is really needed. Lots of promising arms but not many solid players you can rely on.

If you want to do it by WAR, Springer has averaged 4.68 over the past 6 full years.

Brad Hand has averaged 0.95.

James Paxton has averaged 2.03.

Albert Almora has averaged 0.6 WAR (only 3 full years in MLB).

Looking at things with WAR, Springer seems to be the way to go. I think he might generate additional benefits by providing a veteran hitter to help the young guys in the lineup. More protection for Alonso, Conforto and Lindor.

Hope things work out and he ends up with the team. If he does, that lineup would be a really fun one to watch. Could legitimately have all 8 starting position players hit 20 or more HRs. If the universal DH is adopted, as expected, add Dom Smith to the list.

And they aren't just power guys. Lots of high on base percentages and batting averages. A lot of runs would be scored...
The pitching staff fell apart this past season. I think Stroman and Carrasco are upgrades but it would really be nice to get someone who could slot behind DeGrom as the number 2. Also I’m not sure adding one reliever fixes the pen. I would advocate for more pitching help. The lineup was okay as is and they added Lindor, they need better hitting w risp.

I’d rather do a one year for Bauer over signing springer. What will actually happen? I think they either get springer or hand.

The pitching staff fell apart this past season. I think Stroman and Carrasco are upgrades but it would really be nice to get someone who could slot behind DeGrom as the number 2. Also I’m not sure adding one reliever fixes the pen. I would advocate for more pitching help. The lineup was okay as is and they added Lindor, they need better hitting w risp.

I’d rather do a one year for Bauer over signing springer. What will actually happen? I think they either get springer or hand.
Agree we need more help with starters and relievers. Honestly, we don't really need all the firepower Springer would bring. It would be better to spend $8 million on a solid CF, good hitter and good fielder, $8 million on a good starting pitcher and $8 million on a good relief pitcher, preferably left handed.

The problem is, there isn't a free agent CF out there that fits this description.

I think there are still teams out there that would like to cut payroll and have players that address the needs of the Mets. Would not be surprised to see Sandy and Jared go in a different direction and do a trade to get a CF and a SP or LRP for someone like Familia, where the net affect adds $10 million to the Mets' payroll (and drops $10 million for some other team).

It will be interesting to see how the new Met brain trust handles this.

Ugh not good. This is a Wilpons piece of news.
For those that do not know...

Sometimes it seems like the franchise is cursed.

I came to this thread though to talk about the Lucchesi trade.

Thought it was a good move. The Padres had a glut of starting pitchers after adding 3 in a short time period and needed to get rid of one of their starting pitchers to make room for the new guy. It was a good opportunity to get a serviceable and affordable starting pitcher (he even has minor league options) for a bargain price and they took it.

The last couple of years, the Mets have gone into the season without much pitching depth and after the inevitable injuries (and remember, with COVID still around, it is more likely than ever some starting pitchers will be miss some time), we ended up having to use guys like Chris Flexen, Walker Lockett, Drew Gagnon, PJ Conlen, Corey Oswalt, Wilmer Font and Ariel Jurado as starters. I think Lockett had a decent game but there was a lot of awful pitching in those starts. You can't have guys like this starting games. It leads to almost certain losses. Can't give away games like that and win pennants.

Lucchesi's numbers are good. More than a strikeout an inning, well less than a hit an inning. Has good stuff. .500 pitcher for the Padres when they weren't very good. If he starts, there is a reasonable chance to get a win.

Anyway, I think starting pitching depth is now is good shape. Looks like Lucchesi made $575K last year. Nice to solve the starting pitching depth problem without having to spend $10 million.

I think this makes the signing of Springer a lot more likely. With 3 left handed starting pitchers now, I think the thinking might be, convert one of them to relief, scuttle plans to sign a high end $10 million a year type relief pitcher and spend the rest of the money available on George.

Last edited:
Well that was quick... ideally they caught this in the vetting process but this is the way to handle it. Reading the background I‘m not sure how they could have caught it... the lady in question doesn’t live in the us anymore and she never reported it before.

What is it with guys who do this stuff and think there won’t be consequences. I’m worried sick because I forgot to cancel a 1:1 meeting with a direct report in Tokyo because yesterday was a holiday in the us but not in Japan. But these dudes feel like they can get away with this? Different world.

If Theo comes to the rescue, the Mets may actually be better off in the end. Theo might feel a little bit guilty by association

So my question is what is he punishment? did the women press charges? does this mean he never holds another job ever again? say she had pressed charges back in 2016 what is the penalty for this type of thing?

interesting comments on some mets boards that this txt exchange went on for awhile and she requested more pictures.. not the smartest thing to do