2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Syracusefan.com

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

1574098348833.png

They use a very low threshold for who gets on the ballot. There are about 10-15 one and dones each year. I guess it's just the committee being cautious since they are not the actual voters,

They use a very low threshold for who gets on the ballot. There are about 10-15 one and dones each year. I guess it's just the committee being cautious since they are not the actual voters,
If you play 10 seasons or more, your name goes on the Hall of Fame ballot five years after retirement. It's a nice little perk for these guys, even if they're destined to drop off the ballot after a single year.

If you play 10 seasons or more, your name goes on the Hall of Fame ballot five years after retirement. It's a nice little perk for these guys, even if they're destined to drop off the ballot after a single year.

I don't believe that is the minimum requirement to get on the ballot.

Mark Ellis, Josh Willingham, Erik Bedard all last played in 2014, and are not on the Hall of Fame Ballot, and all played 10 years or more.

I would imagine there are a few others, but those were the ones I immediately noted from scanning a list of players who last played in 2014 and are not on the ballot.

Last edited:
Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield, and Jeter would get my votes.

But only one of those guys would get many people’s votes.

Mark Ellis, Josh Willingham, Erik Bedard all last played in 2014, and are not on the Hall of Fame Ballot, and all played 10 years or more.

I would imagine there are a few others, but those were the ones I immediately noted from scanning a list of players who last played in 2014 and are not on the ballot.
I stand corrected then. It looks like they must pare it down from those have played 10 years. I can't imagine too many 10-year major leaguers retire in any given year though, as fewer than 20,000 people have appeared in a major league game in the history of the sport.

1 lock Jeter
2 should be locks Bonds and Clemens
I would also vote for Schilling,
Schilling’s mouth is why he isn’t in already. Him and Mussina both belong in.
Manny gets left out because of 2 steroid suspensions.
Wagner and Walker I can hear arguments on.
The rest nope.

Jeter is a lock and should be unanimous. Hopefully the writers have moved past that after Rivera was.
Schilling - There's a lot of jerks in the Hall of Fame.
Go ahead and put Bonds and Clemens in even though they disgust me. They were both worthy before they got huge.
Larry Walker

Also, Fred McGriff better make it one day through the Today’s Game Eras Committee if Harold Baines got in.

I stand corrected then. It looks like they must pare it down from those have played 10 years. I can't imagine too many 10-year major leaguers retire in any given year though, as fewer than 20,000 people have appeared in a major league game in the history of the sport.

Your thought (10 years) would have made more sense though.

Why would someone bother trying to make a distinction between the ballot worthiness of Mark Ellis versus Chone Figgins when neither has a chance of hell in the hall.

Just read today Marco Scutaro was the only guy with 20 WAR eligible this year not to make the ballot

Jeter is a lock and should be unanimous. Hopefully the writers have moved past that after Rivera was.
Schilling - There's a lot of jerks in the Hall of Fame.
Go ahead and put Bonds and Clemens in even though they disgust me. They were both worthy before they got huge.
Larry Walker

Also, Fred McGriff better make it one day through the Today’s Game Eras Committee if Harold Baines got in.

The Baines induction was so bad.

Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield, and Jeter would get my votes.

But only one of those guys would get many people’s votes.
same plus sosa & schilling

Run down the case for Sheffield not being in. Is this solely a steroids thing? If that wasn’t a factor, he’s pretty unanimously in right? Guy was a STICK.

Pretty sure that is it, because agree, he has the numbers to at least be a strong consideration if not in

Pretty sure that is it, because agree, he has the numbers to at least be a strong consideration if not in

Yeah, 500+ homers and close to .300 average...and he was always a .300+ type hitter, just his last few years pulled it down. And that’s with a decent amount of injuries.

Watched him closely for those years when he was a Dodger - he hit rockets. Exit velocity and all that wasn’t a thing back then, but I’d think he was one of the tops in the game for much of his career in that regard.

Jj putz Jose valverde and Brad penny we are being punked right? It has to be a misprint. Seriously though just Jeter and schilling.

Yeah, 500+ homers and close to .300 average...and he was always a .300+ type hitter, just his last few years pulled it down. And that’s with a decent amount of injuries.

Watched him closely for those years when he was a Dodger - he hit rockets. Exit velocity and all that wasn’t a thing back then, but I’d think he was one of the tops in the game for much of his career in that regard.

Yeah I would absolutely love to see his EV numbers.

Just looking at his WAR, hes at 60.5 on bbref, 62.1 on fangraphs, which is right around the level where people generally make it in. (If memory serves). So he is a very viable candidate, I assume the steroids thing is crushing his chances

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom