2022 Mets thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

Impressive double header sweep today coming back on one of the best bullpens in the league while our own shut out a team with a ton of come from behind wins last yest.

Love to not have a drop off and at least win this series, smoke the dbacks and then really get rolling.

We are playing fundamentally sound, opportunistic baseball under Showwalter. That's quite a change from what we've seen over the years. Pete is leading the league in RBIs, Jeff is back hitting .300 and Lindor is looking like the player we though we were supposed to get last year. The starting pitching has been what we dreamed of when we had Matt, Zach, Jake, Noah and Steve. They seem to be still sorting out the bullpen but if they can find the 2-3 guys they need, this team will be a steamroller.

I remember the 80's when I focused on the Mets being to first team to 10 wins, the first to 20 wins, then the first to 30 wins, etc. and they always were. This could be that kind of team.

We are playing fundamentally sound, opportunistic baseball under Showwalter. That's quite a change from what we've seen over the years. Pete is leading the league in RBIs, Jeff is back hitting .300 and Lindor is looking like the player we though we were supposed to get last year. The starting pitching has been what we dreamed of when we had Matt, Zach, Jake, Noah and Steve. They seem to be still sorting out the bullpen but if they can find the 2-3 guys they need, this team will be a steamroller.

I remember the 80's when I focused on the Mets being to first team to 10 wins, the first to 20 wins, then the first to 30 wins, etc. and they always were. This could be that kind of team.

Yep. I love how well the defense is playing too. Smart shifts, far fewer errors and like you said Lindor has been great.

Drew got a little lucky tonight with the wind but still they earned both wins.

If we can get a big lead and carry it just like to see them add one more bat at the trade deadline. Getting ahead and greedy I realize but this looks like a really strong club and well managed.

Mets are looking good. There is no way the teams from the past few seasons would have a) completed the comeback in game 1 and b) won the 2nd game.

At some point they need to address the fact that they are effectively playing 8 vs 9 on offense because McCann is such a terrible hitter. Can't believe they could have gotten Realmuto instead if they had played their cards right. Also Lugo just doesn't not look right... even yesterday, while he got out of the inning, he made it HARD work.

I'm also still not seeing in anything out of Dom Smith to make me think he is anything but a 0 WARP dude. He had the opportunity to win game 1 in the 9th by just getting his bat on the ball and he stuck out looking.

Mets are looking good. There is no way the teams from the past few seasons would have a) completed the comeback in game 1 and b) won the 2nd game.

At some point they need to address the fact that they are effectively playing 8 vs 9 on offense because McCann is such a terrible hitter. Can't believe they could have gotten Realmuto instead if they had played their cards right. Also Lugo just doesn't not look right... even yesterday, while he got out of the inning, he made it HARD work.

I'm also still not seeing in anything out of Dom Smith to make me think he is anything but a 0 WARP dude. He had the opportunity to win game 1 in the 9th by just getting his bat on the ball and he stuck out looking.
Agree about McCann. Nido was the better player last year and I think the starting job is there for the taking but he is also struggling hitting right now. Hopefully one of them eventually figures things out. They are both at least calling good games and playing well defensively.

Smith was also 2 for 4 in the second game with a huge hit/key RBI. He has not been playing much but it looks like he is getting the rust off now. It is important for him to take advantage of the playing time he has been getting with the outfielders out with COVID. Sounds like Canha is about to come back.

It will be interesting to see if Cano can still hit this year or if his ABs go to Dom over time. I suspect the latter but Robbie looks like he still might be able to hit after being suspended for a season.

at this point its too bad conforto wants so much. you could unload Dom for some pitching move Conforto to left/right/dh and even with his slumps he always had a bit of Pop. better fielder, better arm.

Agree about McCann. Nido was the better player last year and I think the starting job is there for the taking but he is also struggling hitting right now. Hopefully one of them eventually figures things out. They are both at least calling good games and playing well defensively.

Smith was also 2 for 4 in the second game with a huge hit/key RBI. He has not been playing much but it looks like he is getting the rust off now. It is important for him to take advantage of the playing time he has been getting with the outfielders out with COVID. Sounds like Canha is about to come back.

It will be interesting to see if Cano can still hit this year or if his ABs go to Dom over time. I suspect the latter but Robbie looks like he still might be able to hit after being suspended for a season.
Didn't realize Dom had a big game 2... that's great to hear. I am rooting for him, seems like a great person.

McCann has been a decent hitting catcher in the past and we are just 12 games in:

Nido has never been much of a hitter:

They can both field the position and handle pitchers, which is more important at that position. I loved Mike Piazza at the plate but hated his work behind it.

Marte just got thrown out trying to steal, down 1-5 with a runner on third in the 7th inning. Would he have attempted that with Buck in the dugout?

Marte just got thrown out trying to steal, down 1-5 with a runner on third in the 7th inning. Would he have attempted that with Buck in the dugout?
Not a smart play.

McCann has been a decent hitting catcher in the past and we are just 12 games in:

Nido has never been much of a hitter:

They can both field the position and handle pitchers, which is more important at that position. I loved Mike Piazza at the plate but hated his work behind it.
McCann did pretty well for the White Sox his last couple of years with them. Wish he could get back to that level for the Mets.

Bassitt was not on the same page as McCann last night and was clearly getting frustrated by it.

I know Noah Syndergaard wanted to throw to Nido. All the time.

I am pretty sure DeGrom strongly prefers to throw to Nido as well. And it appears Nido catches a lot when Max pitches. Max says it is only a coincidence but it keeps happening.

There may be a problem with how McCann calls pitches.

McCann did pretty well for the White Sox his last couple of years with them. Wish he could get back to that level for the Mets.

Bassitt was not on the same page as McCann last night and was clearly getting frustrated by it.

I know Noah Syndergaard wanted to throw to Nido. All the time.

I am pretty sure DeGrom strongly prefers to throw to Nido as well. And it appears Nido catches a lot when Max pitches. Max says it is only a coincidence but it keeps happening.

There may be a problem with how McCann calls pitches.
The risk with McCann was always whether the Mets were buying high on him as he really only had one good season with the white sox. In 2020 he only played 31 games, although he was trending well. Seems like last year was a reversion to the mean.

Hoping we hang on today. Canha picking up right where he left off. Escobar starting to get his bat going too.

Lindor en fuego!
That trade with the Indians that looked so bad last year is looking a lot better these days.

Lindor has been excellent from day one this year.

And Carrasco is pitching far better this season. He had some bone chips removed in his pitching elbow and it appears to have restored him to top notch pitching form.

That trade with the Indians that looked so bad last year is looking a lot better these days.

Lindor has been excellent from day one this year.

And Carrasco is pitching far better this season. He had some bone chips removed in his pitching elbow and it appears to have restored him to top notch pitching form.

Indeed. Carlos continues to look great. On another note, only a few outings but this Marte kid for SF we have seen twice has impressive stuff.

I am liking Rodriguez as a weapon against lefties this year. It's a small role but it's also those little things that win you 7 or 8 games a year against good clubs.

I am liking Rodriguez as a weapon against lefties this year. It's a small role but it's also those little things that win you 7 or 8 games a year against good clubs.
Was upset about losing Castro in that trade. Suspect Miguel is going to have a far better career long term.

But you can see how important it is to Buck to have a couple of lefties in the bullpen. He loves to bring one in immediately after a righty starter has left the game. Often results in the opposing manager making a bunch of changes, replacing lefty hitters with righties.

Then Buck replaces the lefty reliever with one of his righties and the path to victory is a lot easier.

If/when Walker is able to return to the rotation, you can bet he will put Peterson in to replace him for the same reason.

Was upset about losing Castro in that trade. Suspect Miguel is going to have a far better career long term.

But you can see how important it is to Buck to have a couple of lefties in the bullpen. He loves to bring one in immediately after a righty starter has left the game. Often results in the opposing manager making a bunch of changes, replacing lefty hitters with righties.

Then Buck replaces the lefty reliever with one of his righties and the path to victory is a lot easier.

If/when Walker is able to return to the rotation, you can bet he will put Peterson in to replace him for the same reason.

Yep. 100 pct agree. On a side note- two baserunning follies that inning. Should have blown this thing up to at least 8-2 or more. Unlikely to matter but those things still drive me nuts.

Liking what I've seen so far. Not to nitpick, but Lindor's throws have been pretty erratic lately.

Lindor looks like a guy who has lost his arm already..

Definitely up and down. Really like Buck used the DH option for him. So far only he and Alonso have yet to have a day off though as well.