2022 Red Sox Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Red Sox Thread

They will. Liverpool just paid their star. They have to know there would be a revolt if Betts, Bogie and Devers all walked. Betts didn't walk but they didn't pay him either.
Just as an aside, the Betts trade doesn't look as bad as it did when it was first announced. Don't get me wrong, Betts is a great player and a big loss but the LAD owe him more than $30 mil+ per year over the next ten years. Over the last two seasons he's missed close to 25% of LA's games. That tendency to being injury prone is likely to only increase over the next ten seasons.

Meanwhile by getting rid of David Price the Sox were able to dump $64 million of salary for a guy that is basically shot and has contributed very little to LA over the last three years.

Verdugo is a competent OFer who puts on decent ABs. He had a lengthy slump earlier this season but his #s last year were very solid and I expect him to come around in the 2H. He's no Betts but then again Betts gets paid 10x the $$$ that Verdugo makes.

Jeter Downs and Connor Wong are likely fringe MLBers at best but who knows?

Just as an aside, the Betts trade doesn't look as bad as it did when it was first announced. Don't get me wrong, Betts is a great player and a big loss but the LAD owe him more than $30 mil+ per year over the next ten years. Over the last two seasons he's missed close to 25% of LA's games. That tendency to being injury prone is likely to only increase over the next ten seasons.

Meanwhile by getting rid of David Price the Sox were able to dump $64 million of salary for a guy that is basically shot and has contributed very little to LA over the last three years.

Verdugo is a competent OFer who puts on decent ABs. He had a lengthy slump earlier this season but his #s last year were very solid and I expect him to come around in the 2H. He's no Betts but then again Betts gets paid 10x the $$$ that Verdugo makes.

Jeter Downs and Connor Wong are likely fringe MLBers at best but who knows?
I didn't comment on whether the Sox did the right thing in not signing Betts long term. First, they didn't have that choice. Betts wasn't going to sign with the Sox before hitting free agency. I will say this, the Sox can't keep making moves like the Betts trade. If you want to be good, really good, you need great players. You can't keep letting them go.

I didn't comment on whether the Sox did the right thing in not signing Betts long term. First, they didn't have that choice. Betts wasn't going to sign with the Sox before hitting free agency. I will say this, the Sox can't keep making moves like the Betts trade. If you want to be good, really good, you need great players. You can't keep letting them go.
I thought by saying "just as an aside" I was making it clear I was veering slightly off topic from your post.

Every player has a price. Paying $365 million over 12 years for Betts would not have been a smart move in my book. The Sox made the best of the situation which was the only point I was trying to make. A lot of this is moot because Betts wanted out anyway. The David Price salary dump was a good move.

The Dodgers will be choking on Betts' contract for several years on the back end. Even the NYY have shown that they have a finite budget. That said, I hope Boston makes every effort to sign Bogaerts and Devers with very competitive offers. If they trade Xander at the deadline while in the midst of the wild card race then that would tick all of us off.

I thought by saying "just as an aside" I was making it clear I was veering slightly off topic from your post.

Every player has a price. Paying $365 million over 12 years for Betts would not have been a smart move in my book. The Sox made the best of the situation which was the only point I was trying to make. A lot of this is moot because Betts wanted out anyway. The David Price salary dump was a good move.

The Dodgers will be choking on Betts' contract for several years on the back end. Even the NYY have shown that they have a finite budget. That said, I hope Boston makes every effort to sign Bogaerts and Devers with very competitive offers. If they trade Xander at the deadline while in the midst of the wild card race then that would tick all of us off.
Yeah, the Dodgers are going to have a bad contract. But that is the price for doing business. At some point, you are going to have bad contracts on the books. Or you are going to be at best average. Dever's wants 12 years. If the Sox don't give it to him, someone else will.

Yeah, the Dodgers are going to have a bad contract. But that is the price for doing business. At some point, you are going to have bad contracts on the books. Or you are going to be at best average. Dever's wants 12 years. If the Sox don't give it to him, someone else will.
Most MLB teams that sign FAs to monster deals for 8+ years live to regret it. LAD and NYY have traditionally spent the most and yet over the last 20 years each has just one WS title. NY looks primed to win one this year due primarily to a loaded pitching staff of young inexpensive talent. The Braves last year had a bunch of power arms. SF won some titles with dominant pitching.

I hope they sign both Devers and Bogaerts but if the bidding level is insanely high and each guy wants to go to the highest bidder then thank you and adios. The Bogaerts situation is tricky. Boston has Marcelo Mayer (19) who is considered a top ten MLB prospect and was the 4th overall draft pick last year. They may not want to give an 8+ year deal to a 30 yo guy when they have a stud who is projected to be ready in two to three years.

Most MLB teams that sign FAs to monster deals for 8+ years live to regret it. LAD and NYY have traditionally spent the most and yet over the last 20 years each has just one WS title.
What are their records during that time?

Most MLB teams that sign FAs to monster deals for 8+ years live to regret it. LAD and NYY have traditionally spent the most and yet over the last 20 years each has just one WS title. NY looks primed to win one this year due primarily to a loaded pitching staff of young inexpensive talent. The Braves last year had a bunch of power arms. SF won some titles with dominant pitching.

I hope they sign both Devers and Bogaerts but if the bidding level is insanely high and each guy wants to go to the highest bidder then thank you and adios. The Bogaerts situation is tricky. Boston has Marcelo Mayer (19) who is considered a top ten MLB prospect and was the 4th overall draft pick last year. They may not want to give an 8+ year deal to a 30 yo guy when they have a stud who is projected to be ready in two to three years.
The Dodgers have been to the World Series at least 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years. How many titles does Tampa have? The Sox had the biggest payroll back in 2018. And they won 108 games on their way to winning a W.S.. I am older than you. I remember a time when no one was going to Red Sox games. There is a anger at the Red Sox ownership in the fan base right now. If they have both Devers and Bogie leave, I don't think they are prepared for the blow back.

What are their records during that time?
No doubt very competitive but my point was that big spending doesn't guarantee championships. The point was made in the context of the discussion between Dasher and myself. It wasn't a shot against your Yankees.

No doubt very competitive but my point was that big spending doesn't guarantee championships. The point was made in the context of the discussion between Dasher and myself. It wasn't a shot against your Yankees.
I wasn’t taking it as a shot against the Yankees. I think counting rings in a sport where the postseason is random is dumb.

The Dodgers have been to the World Series at least 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years. How many titles does Tampa have? The Sox had the biggest payroll back in 2018. And they won 108 games on their way to winning a W.S.. I am older than you. I remember a time when no one was going to Red Sox games. There is a anger at the Red Sox ownership in the fan base right now. If they have both Devers and Bogie leave, I don't think they are prepared for the blow back.
Fair points. As I recall the age difference between us is slight.

Still pretty random. Great teams lose 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 often.
I'll let you have the last word. I feel like I was discussing one aspect of signing FAs with Dasher and now you and I are heading off into a different tangent.

I'll let you have the last word. I feel like I was discussing one aspect of signing FAs with Dasher and now you and I are heading off into a different tangent.
Dasher didn’t say “World Series,” you did. I believe he said “…good, really good…”

Little Leaguers wouldn’t make these mistakes

Duran should be in Wooster already after that bs last night. Just gross.

Duran should be in Wooster already after that bs last night. Just gross.
One of the fastest guys in MLB but he has no idea how to play the OF. Gets horrible jumps and takes really bad routes to the ball. The Sox are one of the worst defensive teams I've seen in a while. I'd say Story and Bradley Jr are the only above average defenders on the team. Brutal. Stick a fork in em'. I think they're done.

Watching the Duran / Tapia play last night, could Duran have got to the ball before Verdugo if he had started running after it as soon as he realized it was going over his head.

From watching TV it certainly looked Duran should have got to it first, but angles screw with perception of distances all the time, so maybe Verdugo was closer.

Watching the Duran / Tapia play last night, could Duran have got to the ball before Verdugo if he had started running after it as soon as he realized it was going over his head.

From watching TV it certainly looked Duran should have got to it first, but angles screw with perception of distances all the time, so maybe Verdugo was closer.
Duran is one of the fastest guys in MLB. He probably could have gotten there b4 Verdugo and even if he couldn't it was a horrible look. Verdugo had to come from a long way away so I really think Duran would have beaten him to the ball. Duran compounded the situation by getting surly with the media afterward.

Duran is one of the fastest guys in MLB. He probably could have gotten there b4 Verdugo and even if he couldn't it was a horrible look. Verdugo had to come from a long way away so I really think Duran would have beaten him to the ball. Duran compounded the situation by getting surly with the media afterward.

I'm surprised that they even started him tonight.

I assume the Red Sox have other outfield options since Jackie Bradley is versatile.

03D0F781-084F-4356-AE1F-7C222527E77A.jpeg

That was the best game I’ve ever attended live. It started out by getting a fist bump from Sydney Sweeney as she left the field and got more interesting from there. So many records set. It was hysterical to watch. Seeing the fans start the wave and get excited when the Sox scored 3 runs when they’re down 14-0 to close the gap to 11 was priceless. What did the Jays do? They followed up with 11 runs their next time up. They even spotted the Sox the first 2 outs of the inning!
Regarding Duran, I’ll have to look for his postgame comments. I’m surprised Cora didn’t pull a Billy Martin and send in his replacement right then and there. When he turned around after the ball dropped, he didn’t move at all. He just stood and watched. I don’t k is if he would’ve beaten Verdugo to the ball, but he sure as hell should’ve tried. He had the pleasure of leading off the bottom of the inning where he was met with boos. They only got louder when he struck out.
They say when you go to the ballpark you may see something that you’ve never seen before. Well, I certainly did!

I'm surprised that they even started him tonight.

I assume the Red Sox have other outfield options since Jackie Bradley is versatile.
Fair point but they don't have much in the way of options. Their roster has been decimated with injuries. Story, Devers, Martinez, Arroyo are all banged up along with a half dozen pitchers that are on the IL. Yesterday they picked up some OFer on waivers named Jaylin Davis so maybe they will play him today instead of Duran.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom