2022 Top 10 Preview | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Top 10 Preview

Maybe it's just me but I'm kinda put off by IL's salivating over the Yale program and this incredible peerless culture Shay has seemingly built. They act like it's a totally unique blue-collar program but there are dozens just like it. Not to mention the notion that YALE of all places has this intrinsic lunchpail, pull yourself up by your bootstraps culture is ridiculous. I like Shay, he seems like a very solid coach who runs a solid program. But you can see it in the writing how hard IL is trying to get them to be a "thing" when in fact they aren't terribly unique across the D1 landscape or even in their own conference. Cornell has been run a similar way for many years, for instance.

Maybe it's just me but I'm kinda put off by IL's salivating over the Yale program and this incredible peerless culture Shay has seemingly built. They act like it's a totally unique blue-collar program but there are dozens just like it. Not to mention the notion that YALE of all places has this intrinsic lunchpail, pull yourself up by your bootstraps culture is ridiculous. I like Shay, he seems like a very solid coach who runs a solid program. But you can see it in the writing how hard IL is trying to get them to be a "thing" when in fact they aren't terribly unique across the D1 landscape or even in their own conference. Cornell has been run a similar way for many years, for instance.
100% agree. Never understood what they actually did as a program to earn that "blue collar" label, and that was even before they got a massive new lacrosse facility funded by billionaire Joe Tsai.

The Terps have their 2022 roster up. Dante Trader and A.DeMaio are on it. So are the 4 transfers:, Donville, Khan, Murphy, and Prybylski.

I wonder what role Trader will have - no fall ball since he’s playing football. Will he need to skip lacrosse to focus on spring practice with the football team? Will he want to play lacrosse if he can’t break the starting six on offense?

I wonder what role Trader will have - no fall ball since he’s playing football. Will he need to skip lacrosse to focus on spring practice with the football team? Will he want to play lacrosse if he can’t break the starting six on offense?
With Demaio back it will basically 100% be Demaio Wisnauskas Fairman maltz khan and donville. Then it’s a massive talent battle just to make the second line/back up at attack. Maybe someone can beat out donville or maltz? Doubt it will be a true freshman. If it is I would be scared.

With Demaio back it will basically 100% be Demaio Wisnauskas Fairman maltz khan and donville. Then it’s a massive talent battle just to make the second line/back up at attack. Maybe someone can beat out donville or maltz? Doubt it will be a true freshman. If it is I would be scared.
Kyle Long, a 2nd team AA midfielder, will probably start for the Terps.

Kyle Long, a 2nd team AA midfielder, will probably start for the Terps.
Forgot about Kyle Long! Even of the guys that are AA type vets or slam dunk transfers there is already 7 names.

Forgot about Kyle Long! Even of the guys that are AA type vets or slam dunk transfers there is already 7 names.

Yes, I should have said top 6 offensive midfielders. You figure it will be something like, Donville, Fairman, DeMaio, Long, Malever will be the top five which leaves one spot remaining. Then you have players like Daniel Kelly and Owen Murphy, who are attackman but I guess could be moved to midfield, and a plethora of other former 4 star guys who have been participating in fall ball. That's a lot of competition.

Nakie Montgomery is playing football for Duke this fall, but looks like he has only gotten mop up duty (three carries against NC A&T) and he's already an established member of the lacrosse team. I know it has happened but I don't remember the last player who was a meaningful contributor of both a college football and lacrosse team. Will Yeatman? Tom Kennedy played lacrosse and football at Bryant too.

Yes, I should have said top 6 offensive midfielders. You figure it will be something like, Donville, Fairman, DeMaio, Long, Malever will be the top five which leaves one spot remaining. Then you have players like Daniel Kelly and Owen Murphy, who are attackman but I guess could be moved to midfield, and a plethora of other former 4 star guys who have been participating in fall ball. That's a lot of competition.

Nakie Montgomery is playing football for Duke this fall, but looks like he has only gotten mop up duty (three carries against NC A&T) and he's already an established member of the lacrosse team. I know it has happened but I don't remember the last player who was a meaningful contributor of both a college football and lacrosse team. Will Yeatman? Tom Kennedy played lacrosse and football at Bryant too.
The Terps will also have Jack Brennan back, who started on the midfield in 2020, and 5-star Jack Koras. The Terps are a little like UNC was last year, where just making the 3rd midfield could be pretty good.

I think if the Terps were at their usual level of midfield depth, Josh Coffman, might have a shot at the 2nd midfield - but not this year.

Being a two-sport athlete I would say SSDM/Faceoff wing for starters. Maryland lost DeMaurice Smith's son to graduation. Dante's on the lax roster so no spring football for him just like on the football roster and no fall ball for lax.

Being a two-sport athlete I would say SSDM/Faceoff wing for starters. Maryland lost DeMaurice Smith's son to graduation. Dante's on the lax roster so no spring football for him just like on the football roster and no fall ball for lax.
Alex Smith has returned for a 5th year. Rumor is that he got injured during the summer, but should be ready to play in the spring. Jake Higgins, who got injured towards the end of last season, is also back for a 5th year. Puglise is back for a 5th year. Josh Coffman is back for his true senior year. So all 4 ssdms return for the Terps.

Alex Smith has returned for a 5th year. Rumor is that he got injured during the summer, but should be ready to play in the spring. Jake Higgins, who got injured towards the end of last season, is also back for a 5th year. Puglise is back for a 5th year. Josh Coffman is back for his true senior year. So all 4 ssdms return for the Terps.
any word on terps/uva? given the cuse/md rumor, if true at all that may mean curtains for uva/umd as unc and nd have longer standing streak and not sure even umd would take on 4 acc's ooc.

then again, they may still have a 2 year contract to complete.

Wahoos scrimmage with Canada (12 noon) and then USA (5pm) is apparently being shown on LSN

I guess that would be here:

Virginia got SPANKED by Canada, 18-7. I would not read that much into it, but we've certainly seen better performances from the reigning NCAA champs vs. Team USA/Canada at these events.

UVa appears to have added two local (to C-ville) players to their roster: Max Wooten (D) and Dawson Chitwood (M). I am a little surprised they didn't add a FO man. Perhaps one of the other Wahoos (besides LaSalla and Braun) has FO abilities.

UVa appears to have added two local (to C-ville) players to their roster: Max Wooten (D) and Dawson Chitwood (M). I am a little surprised they didn't add a FO man. Perhaps one of the other Wahoos (besides LaSalla and Braun) has FO abilities.

UVA was LaSalla or bust last year, I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same this coming season.

UVA was LaSalla or bust last year, I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same this coming season.
LaScalla like most fogos tends to get banged up a bit over the course of a season .
UVA must be confident in Braun to step in when needed but even then Cavs are shockingly slim at that important position after Tigh transferred. Maybe Im missing another fogo on their roster but dont understand lack of depth at fogo if not.

Rutgers Fall All-Access:

Who knows where they will be at?

The Rutgers optimism is starting to go completely off the deep end. No team that lost its entire starting attack of All-American caliber players has ever just come back the next year and been fine. These transfers they brought in are band-aids over a gaping wound. I think Rutgers could finish as a top 8 team again in the near future, but it won't be next year. They're going to max out as a fringe playoff/bubble team in 2022. Mark my words. I think it's way more likely they miss the playoffs entirely than get back to the quarterfinals. It will take a few years minimum to rebuild that type of talent on the offensive end.

The Rutgers optimism is starting to go completely off the deep end. No team that lost its entire starting attack of All-American caliber players has ever just come back the next year and been fine. These transfers they brought in are band-aids over a gaping wound. I think Rutgers could finish as a top 8 team again in the near future, but it won't be next year. They're going to max out as a fringe playoff/bubble team in 2022. Mark my words. I think it's way more likely they miss the playoffs entirely than get back to the quarterfinals. It will take a few years minimum to rebuild that type of talent on the offensive end.
They are investing a lot into lacrosse which helps in recruiting. lax stadium coming soon.
Very possible that they continue to build on last years success. Will need to finally beat Maryland though.

These IL pieces from the fall, including the coverage from scrimmages, are overwhelming positive for each and ever team. I don't want to call them puff pieces but there is hardly anything negative being said about any team.

I agree with you about Rutgers, I can't imagine trying to replace that attack line. The midfield should be good but I think they also have questions surrounding the face-off. Correct me if I am wrong but it didn't seem like the Big 10 had any standout fogo's last year, and I think Rutgers still struggled. Arceri was near 60% but other than that not many top names come to mind.

It sounds like maybe Bartolo from Penn might be moved to attack? I had thought that all three attackmen would be transfers, but Kinnear mostly talks about returning players. Cameron is not yet on campus as he is finishing up things at UNC. I still don't understand why they ranked their transfer class number 1. UMD seems to have a much stronger unit coming in. I would rather have quality over quantity.

They have a good mix but far from scary as their special players outside Kirst have moved on. Good balance with solid units but no outstanding returnees or incoming players beyond the goalie. I do not expect them to beat JHU lest a Maryland. The outlook for that program beyond this year will be dependent more on recruiting and developing than relying on the transfer portal.

They are investing a lot into lacrosse which helps in recruiting. lax stadium coming soon.
Very possible that they continue to build on last years success. Will need to finally beat Maryland though.
This is why I think they have a fairly bright future in general (relative to program history). But this isn't going matter for 2022 or help to replace Charalambides, Mullins, and Kirst in the near term. The investment won't have a major impact for at least a few years.

I also don't know if the evidence is there that it has (thus far) helped recruiting. Their class this year does not look any better than the one from last year so far.

LaScalla like most fogos tends to get banged up a bit over the course of a season .
UVA must be confident in Braun to step in when needed but even then Cavs are shockingly slim at that important position after Tigh transferred. Maybe Im missing another fogo on their roster but dont understand lack of depth at fogo if not.
no other fogos. lsm whalen is next in line to muck it up.
getting someone out of the portal couldn't have been simple, as lasalla has as many as 2 years.
if it were me, i'd be scouring just graduated d3/2 players who aren't playing and seeing if a grad program could be offered and picked up in the spring.

that and keep lasalla and braun off-limits all week at practice, and keep them fresh on workload throughout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom